Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 19 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The park looks amazing and the guests loved it today. Hope Tapu Tapu proves itself, but other than that great opening day and the people are pleased.
Universal would not have released that statement they did to the media unless they had a lot of complaints.

A few opening day issue complaints they wouldn't acknowledge to the media.

From the pictures and video I've seen, the park looks nice. The Fearless River surprised me by how narrow it is. I'm sure the tile sides of the channel are for safety reasons. I would hate to bump into a rock while going quickly in that river. The nets are a bit ugly but that doesn't bother me nearly as much as how narrow the river is. Doesn't seem like it would be very pleasant to be squashed in with so many tubes and people. Makes me so thankful that Roa's Rapids doesn't allow tubes and is twice the width if not wider.

Can you wear swim shoes?
I don't like hot concrete or sand.

2 things on this. Not sure if all the slides have them, but I did see photos of shoe baskets at the entrance to some slides where you can toss your shoes, towels, etc in and then head up the stairs. Second I saw photos of spray misters at ground level that mist the walkways to help keep the concrete cool for those who want to walk around barefoot, cool little feature.

Were there lots of interactive spots or were they sparse?

We saw a few and they were cool, but mostly for kids. There is a bunch more that will open when the rest of the Kid's area and inside the Volcano are complete.

1. Did you have fun?
2. Did anyone die on any of the rides?
3. How inebriated did people get at the park?

1. Yes
2. No
3. Only saw a few people look buzzed, but for most part - all behaved.

Did you hit your head on a beam?

:blank: No

I'd like to know more about the types and sizes of waves in the the wave pool.

Hard to say. It varies from light waves to really choppy but I was only in there for 20-30 minutes.

Have only one question: did you or did not get hammered drunk in the lazy rivah ;)

Not yesterday. :lol:

Can you wear swim shoes?
I don't like hot concrete or sand.

Yes, but some slides may require you to take them off. Not 100%

Is it true that you can't ride alot of the bigger slides with just 2 people?

All depends on weight. If it is 2 people in your party, they will partner you up with another group of 1-3 people.

They have water spraying on some of the sidewalks (Which is a great way to wash your feet), although the bridges seemed hot to the feet. It was also overcast most of the morning. The kids area was closed most of yesterday also (Although I did see a toddler girl in a "Beach Babe" shirt try to make a run for it) The lazy river being down was a bummer, though.

And it was. Disneyland did have a bad reputation after opening for awhile. It took a lot of effort to turn it around. People tend to forget that.

And a strong personality to make big decisions that others tried to shy away from.

"People keep walking over the planters... That's why the flowers look bad. It cant be helped, guests are awful."

"Make it a pathway!" - Walt Disney

That would be totally wasted for one slide. I'm sure they can go higher to get a desired length for a Mammoth style ride while hanging a couple of more ride off the same tower. There's plenty in Proslide's inventory that can added including a capped Tornado with a lighting package.

They can always go back and add faux rock coping to the lazy rivers and wave pool walls, it can be done in sections at night when the park is closed.

Well if they build another mini volcano they could have the water coaster going in and out of it and build more slides throughout the thing. The nicest thing about waterslides is that they can go in practically any direction and take up a minimal amount of space.
Even looking at the currently used 30 acres, they could totally fit another 10-20 slides in the park if they got creative.

I feel like I've seen this before: New thing opens, people complain and in a short time after opening, the complains stop. Hmm.
Good observation....Great example was Gringotts. Almost universal condemnation. Much of it bad reviews from people miserable from standing in long lines and then experiencing breakdowns, You Tube video reviews, Screenz angst, Disney fan envy, etc.....Now, it's mostly a beloved attraction that many rate in their top 5 everywhere. But it's the same ride it was then, just works more dependable since it's not brand new working out tech issues.

Good observation....Great example was Gringotts. Almost universal condemnation. Much of it bad reviews from people miserable from standing in long lines and then experiencing breakdowns, You Tube video reviews, Screenz angst, Disney fan envy, etc.....Now, it's mostly a beloved attraction that many rate in their top 5 everywhere. But it's the same ride it was then, just works more dependable since it's not brand new working out tech issues.

Lets not forget, what was it, Transformers, I think? Where all we heard about for days was the extended queue and how it wasn't shaded. Oh, how hot it's going to be waiting there!! Put some bacon on the floor, we're gonna cook breakfast while waiting in this queue! Then they covered it. I remember there also being an issue with some other Harry Potter queue and lack of trees. Again, fixed by Universal shortly after.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Alicia
There was some talk on 'test and adjust' period I wanted to touch on yesterday, but too much noise or something.

I figure the beauty of a tapa thing is that it gives them flexibility. My guess would be (sometime down the road at least) if they found one slide was tying up five hours of ones day while a large group of other slides had average 30 minutes...my guess is UNI would start to offer slots (even to those already in a long queue.

They just need to learn flow more, then they will adjust.

Sure, they should have had softs for this, but time did not allow.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Not a complaint, a lot of the videos show the rafts on some slides going way up the sides, like raft edge going above the plastic of the slide. How long before slides are slowed down, changed?

I'm guessing prosilde have a long ass list of snags.

I also noticed the aqua coaster has no netting around the open parts of the ride, I know it's totally ok like that, but how long before birds/stray objects starts becoming a problem and they nett it all up?

What hatetofly said earlier about returning the taputapu concerns me a lot, I hope they find a good way to fix this.

Not a complaint, a lot of the videos show the rafts on some slides going way up the sides, like raft edge going above the plastic of the slide. How long before slides are slowed down, changed?

I'm guessing prosilde have a long ass list of snags.

I also noticed the aqua coaster has no netting around the open parts of the ride, I know it's totally ok like that, but how long before birds/stray objects starts becoming a problem and they nett it all up?

There are nets around where people can possibly interfere. Birds are birds. Same risks apply same way as any other open air or coaster ride. Very slim chance though that anything gets impacted.