Warcraft | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Warcraft

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Legendary and Universal PicturesWarcraft is off to a game start at the international box office, with No. 1 openings in its first 11 markets. The total through Thursday is$9.3M. The adaptation of Blizzard Entertainment’s juggernaut is bowing in a total of 20 overseas plays this frame. Notably first out of the gate were Germany, Russia and France. The strong start points to a $30M+ bow this weekend, blowing past earlier projections in the $20Ms.

Gearheads were out in force in Germany which scored the biggest opening day of the year for the market with a 50% share and a No. 1 Thursday of $2.2M.

In Russia, the No. 1 Thursday bow was $2.8M, which marks the second biggest opening day of 2016, behind Deadpool, and ahead of Captain America: Civil War,Batman V Superman and others. It is the 7th biggest opening day of all time and the 5th biggest non-holiday opening day ever.

France booted up Wednesday with $983K for a No. 1 start and a total through Thursday of $1.5M.
Austria, Denmark, Egypt, Hungary, Indonesia, Lebanon, Switzerland, Thailand and the UAE are the other top spot openers. There are nine further markets to come this weekend including Norway and Sweden.

The Orc-filled adaptation stars Travis Fimmel, Paula Patton, Ben Foster and Dominic Cooper — and also features Chinese heartthrob Daniel Wu who was in last year’s hitGo Away Mr Tumor. He’ll act as a particular draw at Middle Kingdom turnstiles when the film gets there on June 8 in a rare pre-U.S. release.

‘Warcraft’ Game With $9.3M Start In Early Offshore Openings – Intl Box Office | Deadline

As a fan of the franchise, I'm glad this is getting off to a good start. I'm a bit surprised as to how much this film is getting hammered by US critics. Everything I can find off twitter has been positive from fans and nonfans alike by those who have seen it. Most critics outside the US seem to be coming away with a more positive impression, but in the US critics are making it seem as if someone may literally die from seeing this movie, as if it is that bad. Not sure I've ever seen such a big disconnect between not only general audience and critics, but domestic vs international critics. Not to say there haven't been some international critics that have ragged on it as well, because there are a few, but mostly getting decent - good reviews by them. Either way, I think this movie is going to have an uphill battle in the US. It may succeed in international markets, but I think there is too much of a stigma attached in the US to really get it going even with positive reviews.

As a fan of the franchise, I'm glad this is getting off to a good start. I'm a bit surprised as to how much this film is getting hammered by US critics. Everything I can find off twitter has been positive from fans and nonfans alike by those who have seen it. Most critics outside the US seem to be coming away with a more positive impression, but in the US critics are making it seem as if someone may literally die from seeing this movie, as if it is that bad. Not sure I've ever seen such a big disconnect between not only general audience and critics, but domestic vs international critics. Not to say there haven't been some international critics that have ragged on it as well, because there are a few, but mostly getting decent - good reviews by them. Either way, I think this movie is going to have an uphill battle in the US. It may succeed in international markets, but I think there is too much of a stigma attached in the US to really get it going even with positive reviews.

Its cool to hate on anything remotely nerdy in the US. A lot of the reviews in the US don't even talk about the movie but talk about the declining subscribers and how it relates to mexicans taking over in the US and how it is they are taking our jobs.

If you have T-Mobile, You get to go see Warcraft for free this weekend.

T-Mobile is giving away a free ticket to Universal Pictures’ “Warcraft” for its U.S. premiere this weekend to all of its customers, as part of a series of customer perks unleashed Monday by the carrier to win customers from rivals AT&T and Verizon Wireless.

T-Mobile teamed up with NBCUniversal’s Fandango, Universal and Legendary Pictures on the “Warcraft” promo. The offer is part of T-Mobile Tuesdays, a new app that promises free food, movie rentals, products and services every Tuesday. Other partners in the program include Gilt, Domino’s, StubHub, Wendy’s, Walmart’s Vudu, Major League Baseball, Lyft and Warner Bros.

Under the new loyalty program, T-Mobile customers are eligible to receive a free medium two-topping Domino’s pizza, a small Wendy’s Frosty and a free movie rental from Vudu every week “until further notice,” according to T-Mobile CEO John Legere.

“We are thrilled to join forces with T-Mobile to thank their customers with millions of free opening weekend ‘Warcraft’ movie tickets as part of their T-Mobile Tuesdays campaign,” said Jason Davis, VP and GM of Fandango Rewards. “At Fandango, we love movies, and free movie tickets is a wonderfully effective way to reward T-Mobile customers.”
T-Mobile Offering All Customers ‘Warcraft’ Free Ticket | Variety

Thanks to the powers of the Foreign market; it will make a good amount of profit..which reminds me,

hows Beijing looking up?
I watched it. Never played the game and thought it was interesting. Very easy to go along with whats happening . Not sure why there would be such a disconnect in the states as I do not follow the franchise. It reminds me a lot of potter for someone like me. Never read the books or played the games, but the movies always get me. Nice product.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
I watched it. Never played the game and thought it was interesting. Very easy to go along with whats happening . Not sure why there would be such a disconnect in the states as I do not follow the franchise. It reminds me a lot of potter for someone like me. Never read the books or played the games, but the movies always get me. Nice product.

And in the end, would you want to see it represented in any of the Parks that Comcast owns?

And in the end, would you want to see it represented in any of the Parks that Comcast owns?
Yes. Aesthetically speaking it would have one of the most beautiful real world transforming facades (with multiple landscapes/climates/territories) they could go with. The type of attraction could be limitless. But I think it would be deserving of a representation. At the least maybe even a House for Horror Nights. I understand it's not horror, but there are some images that aren't family friendly necessarily that would do well with "Scare Factor"

Reactions: quinnmac000
Yes. Aesthetically speaking it would have one of the most beautiful real world transforming facades (with multiple landscapes/climates/territories) they could go with. The type of attraction could be limitless. But I think it would be deserving of a representation. At the least maybe even a House for Horror Nights. I understand it's not horror, but there are some images that aren't family friendly necessarily that would do well with "Scare Factor"

Then yeah; i'm thinking China gets it first. Its seeming to do very well over there; and it is an IP that is extremely popular, regardless of the movie.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
But specifically, I love the forest and the castle. The wizardry would make for a great addition to the wizardry in the parks already. The different amount of characters and animals used, clothing, and dialect could seriously make an awesome attraction if done correctly.

But specifically, I love the forest and the castle. The wizardry would make for a great addition to the wizardry in the parks already. The different amount of characters and animals used, clothing, and dialect could seriously make an awesome attraction if done correctly.

And what do you think on the merchandise and dining potential for it?

And what do you think on the merchandise and dining potential for it?
Dining could be like the enchanted tree that used to be where three broomsticks is. Tree like restaurant in middle of Forrest. Create unique drinks and food.
Merch? Endless. Masks, swords, action figures, the meaningful necklaces that the bigger creatures wore around their necks, the odd robes the guardians wear, and those pointy ears and of course crowns! Possibilities'!

I watched it on Sunday, having played the game from around 2008-2011 on and off. I really enjoyed it, I think it was good as a standalone high-fantasy action movie, and I also loved the little nods to things players would remember from the game.

Okay, so the film has made a worldwide total of $422 million, with only $46 from domestic audiences, combined with very mixed reviews. Seeing that it couldn't even get to half a billion and that most US moviegoers didn't give the film a chance, is Warcraft still a viable IP for a ride at either park or a section at the 3rd park?

Was this supposed to be the fantasy IP given that the rights to LOTR are essentially never going to be sold by the Tolkien estate?

Okay, so the film has made a worldwide total of $422 million, with only $46 from domestic audiences, combined with very mixed reviews. Seeing that it couldn't even get to half a billion and that most US moviegoers didn't give the film a chance, is Warcraft still a viable IP for a ride at either park or a section at the 3rd park?

Was this supposed to be the fantasy IP given that the rights to LOTR are essentially never going to be sold by the Tolkien estate?
Probably not, but I highly expect this IP to be in Beijing.

Reactions: chocotaco

Don't think it has the slightest chance for any park in the US. I personally thought it was a decent movie, but still, I think the word flop is an understatement as far as US performance goes. It had abysmal marketing, but still should have done better than it did.

Due to its success in foreign territories, especially China, I think it will get a sequel. Perhaps the sequel (assuming there will be one) will have better results domestically, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Last edited:
Um, yea there's a chance to be in any of the parks. Even if the US box office was low, the movie was based off of a hugely popular game franchise whose fans would love to go see the world of Azeroth in person

Expect WoW in Beijing, and Stateside may not be likely due to the box office being..what it was.

As for LOTR, the Theme Park rights are apparently going into court; so don't rule that out.