Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Warner Media

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Beginning this thread, as it does have impact for going forward; with AT&T/Warner Media interested to join the streaming game.

And to do so, let's bring up the news of Otter Media cutting 140 of it's staff as the company goes into a reorganization, effective immediately.

This will effect Rooster Teeth Productions, VRV, Crunchyroll, and the recently absorbed Machinima; as all four will go with Otter Media moving forward.

AT&T’s Otter Media Cuts 10% of Staff, Will Absorb Machinima in Reorg – Variety

Warner Media is also planning on moving forward with a streaming service of their own; featuring content from HBO, Turner & Warner Bros. Pictures in 2019.

AT&T's Warner Media Streaming Service To Launch In 2019: Will It Succeed?

As long as it isn't too expensive, I'm actually looking forward to Warner's streaming service. After Warner Archive and Filmstruck shut down, dvd & blu-ray prices for some classic movies have become way too expensive. This goes without saying that its impossible to find a place to stream those movies legally.

HBO Max is a good name because it has HBO in it. HBO has 140 million subscribers worldwide; it's known around the world.

Makes a ton of sense to use that to sell the service with everything Warner owns (DC/WB, HBO, CNN/TNT/etc.).

I don’t know if I’ll be getting this service. As it is I’m looking to cancel HBO after GoT ended and Netflix has been losing so much content (Office and now friends) where I don’t see the value anymore.

Whole bunch of new content and $15 a month.

I pay for HBO already, so I guess I’m getting a bunch of new stuff for free

I was thinking about that, and it's insane how good it is as a deal; especially if you decide to jump from strictly HBO's main app, to the new WarnerMedia service.

To give somewhat of a fill in on the groups all involved, for those who don't want to look at the thread:
  • Warner Bros. Pictures/Turner Classic Films
  • Warner Bros. Animation/Hanna-Barbera
  • CNN Originals
  • Cartoon Network
  • DC
  • BBC (select series)
  • Crunchyroll/Rooster Teeth
  • Sesame Workshop (Sesame Street streaming rights and original content)
  • TBS
  • CW
  • HBO
  • Ghibli
  • Adult Swim
The legitimate variety on the service is nuts. And when you put it all together, this is easily going to be a smash hit; especially with all of the backlog content. Definitely makes me interested to see how much it'll hurt Hulu and Netflix (especially Hulu, considering South Park and Rick and Morty ditching Hulu for HBOMax). I can see it being a massive hit for adult audiences especially with the film library alone.

Whole bunch of new content and $15 a month.

I pay for HBO already, so I guess I’m getting a bunch of new stuff for free
My wife and I have been trying to figure HBOMax out. I already subscribe to HBO through my cable service, which allows me to stream through Go.

Max will have everything on HBO, plus Max-specific stuff.

So... why do I need to subscribe to HBO through my cable anymore?

My wife and I have been trying to figure HBOMax out. I already subscribe to HBO through my cable service, which allows me to stream through Go.

Max will have everything on HBO, plus Max-specific stuff.

So... why do I need to subscribe to HBO through my cable anymore?

It won't change anything because if you subscribe to HBO on your cable you still get MAX.

Only if you get cable through AT&T. If you use Xfinity, Spectrum, or anything else... nope.

I think you maybe misheard.

All existing HBO subscribers currently if they maintain service until May 2020 will automatically get HBO Max if they so chose to use it. That's why the starting number of subscribers is going to be so high because they are including the current HBO subscribers.

Existing HBO subscribers will get access at no extra charge.

Deadline and Seeking Alpha both have confirmed this.