West Side Story (2021) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

West Side Story (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It can't go to Disney+...its a Fox film and still connected to the HBO guy similar to Free guy.
So is that only new movies? Because there are plenty of 20th films on Disney plus including "The Greatest Showman", "hello Dolly!", "Home Alone" all the X-Men (although I guess that could be snuck in under Marvel), the Ice Age movies, etc.

So is that only new movies? Because there are plenty of 20th films on Disney plus including "The Greatest Showman", "hello Dolly!", "Home Alone" all the X-Men (although I guess that could be snuck in under Marvel), the Ice Age movies, etc.
Post-theatrical release it goes to HBO Max for 18 months, until the contract expires at the end of next year. They did just rework it though so that both streamers will be sharing some new releases, such as Ron's Gone Wrong, which hits HBO Max AND Disney+ on December 15th. It's very possible West Side Story sees a similar route where it goes to both places.

Had they kept West Side Story as a streaming release, it wouldn't have to go to HBO Max. They pulled that off successfully with Nomadland and some other 20th Century and Searchlight movies which were directly released to Hulu. If it doesn't go to theaters, it doesn't follow the same rules where it has to go to HBO Max.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Literally every major character was rewritten to give them a back story. Adults don't start going to the movies until around Christmas -- this was to try and build word of mouth (which has been almost uniformly good).
Well to me I could not relate to pretty much anyone.

If people enjoy this cool but to me I just don't think I care much for the romance built on your pretty...thought we were done with that.

If people enjoy this cool but to me I just don't think I care much for the romance built on your pretty...thought we were done with that.
I mean, like it or not, that's what most romance is built on in the real world even today. We have entire dating apps built around it.

I mean, like it or not, that's what most romance is built on in the real world even today. We have entire dating apps built around it.
To me that’s why the story feels old

sure we have people who fall in love over looks but to me that’s a boring story. Obviously younger people agree because no one really saw this

I'm sorry you think we live in a world where love at first sight is a fantasy closed off to our generation.
It’s less about what’s real and what’s an interesting story
If you guys like this kinda live story cool, but I’ve just seen too many films with more realistic and or interesting love stories then this

in The H
It’s less about what’s real and what’s an interesting story
If you guys like this kinda live story cool, but I’ve just seen too many films with more realistic and or interesting love stories then this
Well, it is a 64 year old story that was modernized slightly. Soo yeah, it's gonna feel old. In The Heights for example had basically the same plot about falling in love over looks, but was a more interesting musical because it feels more modern in the music and in some of its other themes.

The problem with all of these musicals though is the lack of star power though. However, my issue with that criticism is that most big "stars" can't sing to the point of headlining a musical. I hate when pop stars are thrown into musicals because their acting is normally bad and singing doesn't fit the musical. Zendaya would've been great casting as Maria if Maria wasn't meant to be Hispanic. I can't think of anyone else who could've filled in for Ansel Elgort, either. Perhaps Joe Keery? But there's very little star power there, just avoiding controversy.

Take it up with the author who the play is based on. Of course, he's been dead for several centuries... LOL

Reflecting on that, isn;'t it weird that the only adaption of Romeo and Juliet where they both survive is a zombie movie? LOL

Dan Murrell did some great coverage of the performance (or lack thereof) by West Side Story this week, however, when you look at the fact the, as he points out, it's a movie derived from a 64 year old stage show and an updated version of a 60 year old movie musical, directed by a 74-year old, who loved this movie because it was the first movie he saw as a kid, then yeah, your audience is gonna be old.

And here are the pitfalls of that during COVID recovery for theaters, per Dan Murrell.
HkBtmaN.png

As you can see below, the Top 5 openers this year were primarily carried by the Under 25 crowd, which WSS definitely did not with only 26% of it's audience coming from that crowd. It was also a heavily female seen movie. So mostly older, white, females based on the chart above. Why is that a problem?

It's a problem because as you can see below, as of a poll taken in August (published by Variety), the groups that with the lowest confidence to go back to a movie theater were Females Over 25 at 62% and Males Over 25 at 71%. Unsurprisingly, based on the results seen from the top 5 movies above, Males below 25 have are showing 78% comfort in theaters (which was an astonishing 88% only a few weeks before this, which was before we knew about Delta).

YciNnB4.png

Then add on one of the biggest things. Musicals don't open big unless it's a Disney animated or live-action remake, which is only selling so well because of nostalgia and the Disney brand. Here are the Top 5 musical openers (non-Disney live-action remake or animated):
hpDMY8U.png

Again, four out of five are Disney movies, but look at the ceiling on that. Even a movie that every middle school girl was excited for back in 2010, HSM 3, could only muster $42M and it had a huge drop after that. Musicals tend to be long plays if they do make big money. The Muppet, Into The Woods, Enchanted, and Mamma Mia all went on to gross very high totals and didn't even start all that high. Same with Mary Poppins Returns and The Greatest showman, which both opened around $10M and are among the top grossing musical movies of all time.

I'm not saying West Side Story is going to be one of those that plays the long game, but if any musical from this year was going to do it, it's this film. It has great reviews, great word of mouth, and it's also got a ton of awards chatter, being mentioned as a possible frontrunner for Best Picture along with Belfast based on the way it's performing at regional critic awards.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I see it being a cult Classic but with spiderman this film is dead in the water. It will make 5ish million and only go down from their

The streaming rights are also for HBO and think it will do worst their then Disney Plus...but cant do anything about now.

It cost double of what in the Heights and 4 times that of dear Evan Hanson and both of those movies were not considered successful.

We are very lucky Wicked is starting filming because this film is a warning to making a bigger budget music that as Nick pointed out is not a Disney film.
I think if Studio's are smart they will go the Hamilton route and just film the state play and put it online

I see it being a cult Classic but with spiderman this film is dead in the water. It will make 5ish million and only go down from their

The streaming rights are also for HBO and think it will do worst their then Disney Plus...but cant do anything about now.

It cost double of what in the Heights and 4 times that of dear Evan Hanson and both of those movies were not considered successful.

We are very lucky Wicked is starting filming because this film is a warning to making a bigger budget music that as Nick pointed out is not a Disney film.
I think if Studio's are smart they will go the Hamilton route and just film the state play and put it online
HBO and Disney came to an agreement to share films for 2022, before the licensing agreement ends on January 1st, 2023. For example, Ron's Gone Wrong is a Fox film, but made it's streaming debut on both HBO Max and Disney+ yesterday.

I'm not going to speak to box office, but I saw the movie this morning, and Spielberg's direction is absolutely terrific. I disagree with the placement of a few of the songs, and I think it kind of fizzles out without any "big" numbers in the last 40 minutes, but the filmmaking is just wonderful.