Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What custom menu items can you order from Mel's or Jurassic Cafe?

Jan 10, 2013
I know you can order a few non-menu board items from these places, such as veggie burgers. What are some of the other, if any custom ordered items you can request? I once had a sandwich from Jurassic Cafe, but that was out on the tray to take. I'm just curious if there's a secret menu instead of the standard burger and fries.

I've personally never heard of a private menu, but Jurassic Cafe and Mel's Diner are both labeled as "vegetarian friendly."

You might have to request another menu, but hopefully that answers your question. I'm sure they have vegetarian options that you can request that are not explicitly stated on the menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jon! I'm not looking for just vegetarian items, but I do see random food items prepared on random days. Like that sandwich I got at the Jurassic Cafe was a turkey and cranberry sandwich. This was in the middle of April, so it wasn't exactly seasonal and I haven't seen it since. Possibly could have been someone who ordered one special from the upscale sandwich cafe on the front lot, had an employee take it down to prepare it with a side of fries, and the customer changed their mind, so they put it on a plate to sell at Jurassic Cafe, lol. Hey, I didn't get sick though, and it was pretty good...

Interesting. You might want to ask the next time you go to the park. Who knows, Universal could be like In-N-Out and offer a secret menu.

In fact, I'd be very interested in what you find.

Random note, one of my only bad experiences at Universal. I was at the Jurassic Cafe on the 31st of last month, and i craved some french fries and that's all. They had one "basket" already "out" for someone to put on their tray. It looked kinda stale. I asked the girl if i could have some fries, and she went "there's some in front of you" in a half assed way and i said "i know, but can i have some others" and she said "but these are fresh, take these..." And i insisted i want others, which she rolled her eyes on, sighed, and gave me some others that were obviously fresh. It just shocked me cuz it was such a small request.....

Universal likes to go expensive on really bad food. Before, they had some pretty good choice, International Cafe was a good one. But can the park at least add a REAL dining experience like Disney? I know Universal could do that, they are experts at decorations (from the studio). I wonder why Universal likes to give out food like SeaWorld

I liked the International Cafe, ate there once. Good sandwiches! Although the potato salad had that fermenting zing to it, so I threw it out just in case.

They just need better food choices. When you compare the awesome food from Disney California Adventure i can get for between $10-15 and what you get at Universal, it's scary
Most definitely! I can't even remember the last time I ate in the park. I usually eat somewhere around town before/after or at CityWalk. They could sure use upgrades in the counter service department, and I'd even like to see a table service place once things get even busier with Potter, Despicable Me, etc.

Truth is, I've never liked Universal's theme park food. I swear they serve the same thing at each individual restaurant at the park and call it something different.

The only thing that I find truly unique is International Cafe, but then again, I've been told you can get their sandwiches in other venues as well.

I must say they have vastly improved the food at Louie's over the years. Pizza is pretty great now.
I'll try it the next time I'm at the park. So far, I've only stuck with Mel's and International Cafe.

I'm kind of odd like that. In fact, I've always eaten at Bubba Gump's at CityWalk - ever since the place opened in 2007/2008. Also went to the Bubba Gump's over at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Studios Japan.

Too bad they didn't have one over at Singapore.

I must say they have vastly improved the food at Louie's over the years. Pizza is pretty great now.
Louie's at USF is shockingly one of my favorite pizza places around. There's something about that pizza that I just love, haha. I wonder if this Louie's is similar. I only ate at it once back in the day and don't remember much about it. I'll definitely have to give it a shot on my next visit!

Does Universal outsource any of their food anymore? I know they have "Panda Express," but I'm wondering if they're partnering with other venders.

El Pollo Loco ended the sponsorship i think around 2008 or so. It was definitely gone by 2009.

Also, I've only eaten at Louie's once many years ago, i don't remember it. Is it really that good? Any recommendations?

I remember the el pollo sign being there last year still. They can be really slow taking things down sometimes! I like Louie's myself. And of course, the one and only Doc Brown's fried chicken. Love it there too, I feel like I mention it too much!