Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

What was there before Monsters Cafe?

Dec 25, 2014
Bethesda, MD
Just when I thought I knew everything about USO, I realized that I had no clue what occupied the space before Monsters Cafe. Google didn't help me. I'm sure someone here knows!

Just when I thought I knew everything about USO, I realized that I had no clue what occupied the space before Monsters Cafe. Google didn't help me. I'm sure someone here knows!

Google earth allows one to travel back in time to see various satellite views through the years. That said, it appears to have been there since the beginning of USF. The interior theming certainly appears to date from the late eighties.

It was a restaurant themed to movie stars. It closed and was rethemed pretty early on, if I remember correctly.

It was a restaurant themed to movie stars. It closed and was rethemed pretty early on, if I remember correctly.

Yep, It was a studio commissary.

Three dining establishments have also been retired since the park's inception. The first of which was The Studio Stars Commisary, which was themed to the various famous movie stars. Due to modest feedback from park guests, the eatery was closed in 1991, and replaced in the same year by The Universal Studios' Classic Monsters Cafe. The second cafe to be retired was the original 1990 Hard Rock Cafe. While it was originally considered to be the world's largest Hard Rock Cafe, the company built a larger facility for the opening of Universal CityWalk Orlando in 1998, with the original Cafe closing shortly afterwards. The original building sat unoccupied in the park from 1999 until 2011, when it was completely demolished. The third dining establishment to be removed was The Midway Grill with Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs, which was closed along with the park's Amity area on January 2, 2012.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_former_Universal_Studios_Florida_attractions