Why do People like Theme Parks? | Inside Universal Forums

Why do People like Theme Parks?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 29, 2013
On my way home from a weekend trip to Universal and I didn't have the best trip. Being surrounded by the masses of people, long lines for food and rides, and how expensive it is, why go? When I was younger, I loved the parks but it seems like the older I get, I'm starting to just find them annoying and expensive. The only way I see myself having an enjoyable experience in the future is staying onsite for 4 days, with express, in late fall or early spring. Following the construction online of the attractions and the resorts I think is more enjoyable. Anyone having these same thoughts?

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a nice trip/vacation-I know the feeling.

I think you're just getting older and the reality of the parks/experience overwhelms the fantasy of what we wish/hope/thought our experience(s) would be.

Happiness = Expectations - Reality.

I moreso approach things with the idea of knowing what I'm in for. I expect crowds. I expect lines. I expect to be gouged. And I accept those terms and agreements when I visit.

Last edited:
I see where you're coming from, but I for one tend to look at the parks from a different perspective. I marvel at the shear fact that places like these exist and enjoy not only "riding the movies" but also learning what makes them tick. The crowds do grow every year and the lines seem to never end, but that doesn't change the fact that you are literally walking around a place that makes the little guys and their parents alike think magic exists. I bet you most parents don't understand what exactly is going on during Forbidden Journey and the like, which truly makes a theme park someplace special.

Basically, its not whats I immediately see that sparks my interest, but what lays behind the metaphorical and physical walls.

Also, when looking at these companies its easy to forget that underneath the investors that are just here for the money are thousands of low level workers and hundreds of creative teams that are truly passionate about what they do.

Moreover, don't look through a jaded lense either. The high prices and the endless add-ons exist specifically because their ultimate goal is to make money.

Sorry to hear that you didn't have a nice trip/vacation I know the feeling.

I think you're just getting older and the reality of the parks/experience overwhelms the fantasy of what we wish/hope/thought our experience(s) would be.

Happiness = Expectations - Reality.

I moreso approach things with the idea of knowing what I'm in for. I expect crowds. I expect lines. I expect to be gouged. And I accept those terms and agreements when I visit.

I used to love the parks, and I still do, but the only way to enjoy them is when the weather is chilly and there's no crowds. Which lately is something that we don't see often. Also, I saw they were selling Greek yogurt for $4, I was shocked.

Universal needs to train their employees better. A cast member/employee at Diagon was making fun of a women's dress with another employee. While the dress did look bad, you shouldn't be making fun of guests in front of other guests.

I used to love the parks, and I still do, but the only way to enjoy them is when the weather is chilly and there's no crowds. Which lately is something that we don't see often. Also, I saw they were selling Greek yogurt for $4, I was shocked.

Universal needs to train their employees better. A cast member/employee at Diagon was making fun of a women's dress with another employee. While the dress did look bad, you shouldn't be making fun of guests in front of other guests.
I was trying to have sympathy at first but if you think they're ONLY enjoyed when the weather is chilly and no crowds than it probably means universal/Orlando just isn't a match for you.

Also, I think it's in poor taste, but people are people and I don't blame a company for one employee. That's an attribution error. if I agreed, I'd join in, hah.

Side note: I hate the logic in America that $7.25 an hour means you must be a robot/smiling permanently.

Side note: I hate the logic in America that $7.25 an hour means you must be a robot/smiling permanently.

Maybe not in a grocery store but at a theme park, I do except to see people that are not. Which you do see a lot at universal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait. Now are we talking about guests or employees?

I'm talking about employees. If you work at a place that is directly in contact with customers, especially in entertainment, you should look cheerful. Which is hard but I did it for 5 years.

I'm talking about employees. If you work at a place that is directly in contact with customers, especially in entertainment, you should look cheerful. Which is hard but I did it for 5 years.
ok are we talking about them not smiling at you or them being noticeably intoxicated bc the signals are mixed and I don't want to assume anything.

Last edited:
I always stay on site. I'd rather spend the extra money and have a leisurely relaxing vacation. That's the tourist in me speaking. For a local, I would imagine the entire theme park experience is a bit different.

Reactions: snayberry
We were there this weekend and the crowds were heavy, but managable. We did have some interesting things occur, but overall it was a good experience for everyone. I have to say that everyone we were with enjoyed Magic Kingdom the best. They did Epcot without us, then Magic Kingom, then Universal Friday, saturday, and sunday. We didn't do a ton in the park with then on Friday and Saturday because they had express. But overall they loved Orlando and wanted to come back again and they are from California.

But overall they loved Orlando and wanted to come back again and they are from California.

Did they love Orlando or the Theme Parks? I understand the two are practically interchangeable among tourists and such, but as a local, the two are completely different. I'm not trying to come off as condescending at all, but merely wanted to voice my strife towards that particular concept, which isn't technically related to the topic.

Reactions: Fatality
On my way home from a weekend trip to Universal and I didn't have the best trip. Being surrounded by the masses of people, long lines for food and rides, and how expensive it is, why go? When I was younger, I loved the parks but it seems like the older I get, I'm starting to just find them annoying and expensive. The only way I see myself having an enjoyable experience in the future is staying onsite for 4 days, with express, in late fall or early spring. Following the construction online of the attractions and the resorts I think is more enjoyable. Anyone having these same thoughts?

Sorry you didn't enjoy your last trip. There's a lot of truth to what @Fatality said. Based off your comment of:

I used to love the parks, and I still do, but the only way to enjoy them is when the weather is chilly and there's no crowds.

it seems like maybe plan your next vacation when the weather and crowds are in-line with your expectations.

If you don't mind answering, why do you go to theme parks?

Also, please don't hold a couple nitwits that didn't hold up the standards of their job to the entire resort. Next time, just take your situation to Guest Relations.

MOD NOTE: One of your follow-up posts were edited. Please watch the language.

Reactions: Frogki
I used to love the parks, and I still do, but the only way to enjoy them is when the weather is chilly and there's no crowds. . .
Cedar Point's Winter Chill Out in February. Okay, I'll let you in on a secret, Mother's Day 2011 at IOA, was in the 70's as a high and the wait times were under 30 minutes for all rides. If you can go this year, you might get the same luck.

I used to marvel at and enjoy every ride but now that I've been going so often for so long, I find that that aspect is small unless the area or ride is new, which makes sense. I enjoy examining various ride functions or finding new things. I enjoy details and theming, and I still very much enjoy the rides but I think the clincher for me anymore is whether I'm in the company of people I enjoy, and certainly people who are new to the parks because through them it's like experiencing the parks the first time all over again.
I think that I most enjoy the parks when I am prepared to go and handle the day as it comes. When I go up for the day, I drive for at least 2 hours and 10 minutes. And I drive back the same night. As you can imagine, if I didn't enjoy the parks it might be a brutal, unfulfilling ride but what I've found as I've been more and more often not on vacation is my attitude toward the day is what really makes the experience for me. So I always strive to be positive, and while it's not always the best day (after all, a theme park is controlled chaos), I always find I've had fun where I could, and I always find that I've got something new to talk about from the place and that is why I go. I'm actually planning my next day trip currently and I'm very excited to go with my boyfriend for the very first time!

Reactions: snayberry
Did they love Orlando or the Theme Parks? I understand the two are practically interchangeable among tourists and such, but as a local, the two are completely different. I'm not trying to come off as condescending at all, but merely wanted to voice my strife towards that particular concept, which isn't technically related to the topic.

Huh? I am a local and I have no clue what you are talking about.

They loved their trip in Orlando. So sure it was theme parks, but they went swimming and stuff like that. Their entire trip was good.