Why does Universal always close at 9 or 10? | Inside Universal Forums

Why does Universal always close at 9 or 10?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 31, 2009
I don't get this. Holiday week, HUGE crowds, brand new attractions, and yet it still closes at 10pm tonight and tomorrow. Meanwhile, Magic Kingdom adjusts to the holiday week and closes at 1:00am both tonight and tomorrow (3:00am with their extra magic hours).

It's only Magic Kingdom, the highest attended theme park in the world. Today: Epcot 9pm, DHS 10, AK 8.

Universal doesn't have as many guests as Disney so there's no need to stay open past 10. Epcot, AK, and DHS are all closing between 7-10 too! But I'd wager once Potter 2.0, Kong, the JP expansion, the KidZone redo/expansion, that Lorax dark ride, and other mystery projects open up, we could Universal decide to stay open later... maybe until 11 or 12 during the holidays but only if attendance gets to at least 10 million at each park by the end of the decade! :thumbs:

FYI - Both Universal parks stay open until 1 or 2 in the morning from Christmas Day until New Years'!

It's only Magic Kingdom, the highest attended theme park in the world. Today: Epcot 9pm, DHS 10, AK 8.

I'm always shocked at how early Epcot closes. I can understand DAK, but 9 PM for Epcot? Surely they can at least match the DHS hours and keep the park open until 10.

Universal doesn't have as many guests as Disney so there's no need to stay open past 10. Epcot, AK, and DHS are all closing between 7-10 too!

DHS is the least populated of the Disney parks and it closes at 12:00am tomorrow, and they have no new attractions to offer.

Epcot and Hollywood Studio both have the later Evening Extra Magic Hours along with MK through out the week if you stay on site and stay open later than the norm on those nights.

DHS closes at 12:00am tomorrow and they have no new attractions to offer.

Again USF doesn't have as many people

USF: 6.2
DHS: Apparently 9.9 so 10 million

So around 8 or 9, the park starts to empty out considerably and almost every ride except probably the brand new ones are a walk-on. But give it some time: all of these additions we keep hearing about will bring the crowds needed for Comcast to finally decide to keep the parks open until 11 or midnight during most holiday periods... but like I said, they already do this during Christmas and New Years!

I know it's just the economics of it all, but I hate that so little of the theme park experience is done at night. They just look so beautiful in the dark, and the night hides any blemishes. Yet, you only get a couple of hours to bask in the illuminated glory.

Damn humans not being nocturnal. Them bats get all the breaks.

OMG YES!!! I went this passed weekend and I asked myself the same question. They close early. They should at least close at 11. Today they close at 9.

I stayed at the Portofino hotel and they close the pool at 10. That doesn't make much sense to me because if you leave the parks at 9ish, you cant even get into the pool.

Last edited: