Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Why is HHN in Japan getting an Death Eater's scarezone?

Jan 16, 2016
image.jpeg
Seriously? Why is only USJ getting a exclusive scarezone for there Halloween horror night event?
I have a theory for that, which I discuss in this YouTube video. What do you guys think?

Without watching the video, I'd suspect the answer has two parts.

1) They need it. In Japan, Halloween still isn't what it is here in the States. It's growing, but I'd imagine attendance lacks in Japan even more than it does here. Using Potter this way massively drives people to the park AND expands Halloween as a special event. But still, why did Japan get it before Orlando? Simple.

2) They asked. Previously, when asked why Orlando hadn't used Potter, A&D stated they hadn't asked. They haven't done HHN at Islands since 2005, long before Hogsmeade. Diagon is still a new, insanely attractive addition that doesn't need any plussing to get people through the gates. Orlando doesn't need Potter at HHN.

1) They need it. In Japan, Halloween still isn't what it is here in the States. It's growing, but I'd imagine attendance lacks in Japan even more than it does here. Using Potter this way massively drives people to the park AND expands Halloween as a special event. But still, why did Japan get it before Orlando? Simple.

2) They asked. Previously, when asked why Orlando hadn't used Potter, A&D stated they hadn't asked. They haven't done HHN at Islands since 2005, long before Hogsmeade. Diagon is still a new, insanely attractive addition that doesn't need any plussing to get people through the gates. Orlando doesn't need Potter at HHN.

I strongly disagree with the first statement. Universal Japan goes way out there for Halloween along with Singapore in comparison to the states...USJ also has a better and more creative entertainment and A&D team compared to the others as the park has overlays 3 parts of the year

Personally, I think it's more just on the manner to test waters in-terms of how people react to more of the intense imagery that Potter may have. That way, if it's successful; I wouldn't be shocked to see USH and USF receive it within the next year or two.

As someone who lives in Japan now and has attended the event I can honestly say "nope" to that first part. There's not many places you could brandish a gun and shoot zombies from Resident Evil, but they've had that here three years in a row. Also the cosplay scene during Hhn is insane, I'd estimate that a good percentage of the attendees are dressed up in horror related costumes. Some I'd say is better then the actual wardrobe of the park.
Believe me when the haunted houses open at noon the lines are already at 100 minute waits. It might be one of the most crowded times in the park.

I strongly disagree with the first statement. Universal Japan goes way out there for Halloween along with Singapore in comparison to the states...USJ also has a better and more creative entertainment and A&D team compared to the others as the park has overlays 3 parts of the year
Yeah man they have so many changes to the rides, right now there's a 4-D dragonball Z show, (it rocks!), during Hhn it turns into a haunted school attraction, and at the start of the year Godzilla will be there. Not to mention for HHN they change the rides, they have their indoor rollercoaster operating with no lights and a creepy soundtrack, Sadako from Ringu taking over the terminator show, last year they had the grudge in the back to the future ride! That was a mash up for sure!

They do a great job changing this park around almost every 4 months!

Also last year they had an extreme house Trama which was sold out every single night of the event. And to go out of Universal and just to Japanese haunted houses in general, Japan has one of the longest haunted houses in the world. If you head over to Fuji Q highland you can experience an hour long haunted house. It's a lot of fun especially after have being a haunter for 6+ years to see how other cultures try to scare you.

I'm not referring to Universal. I'm referring to Japan culturally. One of the big driving factors for the Japanese parks (including Disney) starting Halloween events in the last 5-10 years is because Halloween is still a fledgling phenomenon for the country. Halloween is an exceptionally American holiday and is still very much on the rise in Japan. That's why the Universal park has gone all out with Resident Evil and connecting it Halloween. They're doing the same thing with Potter.

20 years ago, Halloween was barely a thing in East Asia. Even in 2006, Korea barely acknowledged it. It's new. It's growing. Just plastering "Halloween" on something isn't enough over there.

Also last year they had an extreme house Trama which was sold out every single night of the event. And to go out of Universal and just to Japanese haunted houses in general, Japan has one of the longest haunted houses in the world. If you head over to Fuji Q highland you can experience an hour long haunted house. It's a lot of fun especially after have being a haunter for 6+ years to see how other cultures try to scare you.

how was that long house? how was it different in terms of scare?

how was that long house? how was it different in terms of scare?
The house was about an hour long total, the show building that it's in is HUGE! You are constantly going up and down stairs in the building and zig zagging through the building itself. There's surprisingly, if you pardon the pun, a skeleton crew in there maybe like 7-8 scareactors total. The majority of the time is the build up to a scare, there's a lot of silence in the house, a few animatronic scares but mostly build up. There's an super long hallway that might take up the entire length of the building you have to go through. I did a whole video on that park it was super intense,

The house was about an hour long total, the show building that it's in is HUGE! You are constantly going up and down stairs in the building and zig zagging through the building itself. There's surprisingly, if you pardon the pun, a skeleton crew in there maybe like 7-8 scareactors total. The majority of the time is the build up to a scare, there's a lot of silence in the house, a few animatronic scares but mostly build up. There's an super long hallway that might take up the entire length of the building you have to go through. I did a whole video on that park it was super intense,

i like your channel a lot. very cool

When discussing Diagon Alley opening for HHN it was explained to me that PR is hesitant to advertise Harry Potter together with this event. That's why it was never stated Diagon was open in marketing materials. The fear is kids will come to the event when it's not designed for them.

I wonder if they could add them to Hogsmeade instead (not being part of HHN but just having its own little scarezone for kids)
I guess kinda like a bonus for the Month of October

Here's some of that deatheater scarezone. Also to the person that said halloween isn't big in Japan, here's something to conflict with your argument

Believe me in Japan the Wizarding World doesn't need any "plussing" come on a normal day still two years after it's opened and you will probably have to get a ticket to walk into that section. And you can only walk in once a day with that ticket, unless attendance park wide goes down for the day.