WHY is the video quality in FJ so poor? | Inside Universal Forums

WHY is the video quality in FJ so poor?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 31, 2009
This question was virtually ignored when I posted it in the main thread, so I thought I'd ask it here.

How is it that a one-hundred million dollar ride that's supposed to change the dark ride as we know it could possibly have such a horrific quality film? This is unfathomable.

When I first rode The Simpsons, I wondered why the film was so dark. But at least the quality was pretty good.

FJ on the other hand is just a mess. It looks like a video of another video.

I want to know WHY. Why did they not see to it that the most technologically advanced attraction in the world get the highest of high definition clarity and vividness possible? Whether it's the domes or the projectors, they screwed up. IMHO this almost ruins what is otherwise an outstanding ride.

Last edited:
You seem to be the only one who feels this way but what would I know, I won't get to experience this ride until 2 weeks from now.

I seriously can't imagine the quality being...poor. I could understand if it isn't the highest quality it could be but poor quality? I find it hard to believe.

I haven't been on the ride, but I've seen some clips of the flying scenes. I think they blur it a bit to make it seem like the characters are moving fast. Could that be why it looks so LQ? Are all of the projected images poor quality, even the great hall scene at the end?

I haven't been on the ride, but I've seen some clips of the flying scenes. I think they blur it a bit to make it seem like the characters are moving fast. Could that be why it looks so LQ? Are all of the projected images poor quality, even the great hall scene at the end?

The actual ride is completely different from any video. Of course a video would be blurry, and yes, there is motion blur on the ride. That's how you would see it in real life.

hey guys I know im a few months late on this, but couldnt the apparent "blurriness" have to do with the fact that the screens are made so the video "follows" you as you move? Basically like the video is made to face you no matter what seat you're sitting in and what angle you're viewing it from? That might have something to do with it

The video has motion blur to make it look as real as possible, but if you look at the details of the video it looks fantastic. Now I do admit that some of the CGI could have been of better quality, but I won't complain for a completely kick butt ride :thumbs:

hey guys I know im a few months late on this, but couldnt the apparent "blurriness" have to do with the fact that the screens are made so the video "follows" you as you move? Basically like the video is made to face you no matter what seat you're sitting in and what angle you're viewing it from? That might have something to do with it

The dome screens are meant to surround riders with the film footage. The technology has been used before without blurriness so probably not.

I've ridden FJ 9 times, and I can honestly say I've never seen the golden snitch (object on screen) because of the motion blur. But I've never thought the overall projected image was blurry.

Yeah, like others have said, it's supposed to be lifelike. When I was on it, I definitely felt like I was doing the action on the screen. The motion blur is necessary for it to be fully immersive, in my opinion. I wouldn't say it is poor quality.

Nah definitely not poor quality, less than stellar CGI, but everything is perfect in my opinion.

The biggest problem I have had is that when the dementors attack the quidditch match the screen pixelates in parts. Really takes away from an overall stellar ride especially when the video does seem realistic. But I haven't ridden in a month or more so they may have fixed it.

i rode Fj twice today and noticed you will have a blurry video experience if you sit on the outer 2 seats but if you sit in the 2 center seats the video is awesome!

my legs touched the womping willow when i sat on the far left seat today

i rode Fj twice today and noticed you will have a blurry video experience if you sit on the outer 2 seats but if you sit in the 2 center seats the video is awesome!

my legs touched the womping willow when i sat on the far left seat today

Were you reaching out for it? :lol:

Funny story about that. A friend of mine was a ride op for FJ during testing. Story is invisible because it contains spoilers:

Apparently during testing (and getting the ride profiles just right) one of the benches took out Aragog. I don't know to what extent, but yes, you do get very very close to everything on the ride. It might explain why Aragog is so static, lol.

Funny story about that. A friend of mine was a ride op for FJ during testing. Story is invisible because it contains spoilers:

Apparently during testing (and getting the ride profiles just right) one of the benches took out Aragog. I don't know to what extent, but yes, you do get very very close to everything on the ride. It might explain why Aragog is so static, lol.

Highlight to read. Yeah I could imagine someone freaking out and kicking Aragog if he would move any closer to us.