Why It Never Happened: Gotham City | Inside Universal Forums

Why It Never Happened: Gotham City

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Marvel is much more popular than DC. When I think of what a DC land would be, I think of six flags. And what a horrible thought to think about.
At the time it was the other way around, with DC (and Batman specifically) being the hot IP. That's why Universal was able to get such great contract terms, Marvel was in trouble with trying to be relevant and find its way in the changing market.

Warner decided they wanted to do it themselves with their Six Flags parks and they were VERY successful. The representation in the SF parks now is not an accurate picture of what it had been under Time Warner ownership. They basically cloned everything that Universal was doing at the time and did it quite well. Successive owners of Six Flags and Warner losing their way with the DC franchises have let it all go down hill.

At the time it was the other way around, with DC (and Batman specifically) being the hot IP. That's why Universal was able to get such great contract terms, Marvel was in trouble with trying to be relevant and find its way in the changing market.

Warner decided they wanted to do it themselves with their Six Flags parks and they were VERY successful. The representation in the SF parks now is not an accurate picture of what it had been under Time Warner ownership. They basically cloned everything that Universal was doing at the time and did it quite well. Successive owners of Six Flags and Warner losing their way with the DC franchises have let it all go down hill.

Great comments!

When I think back, I feel like it was the Jon q Public that stopped what DC had going with Batman. I felt like Tim Burton’s take was spot on, it could’ve/should’ve taken DC to that next level....but the parents screamed that Batman was a kids character/movie....so WB dropped Burton after what two successful (for their time) movies and then went all cartoon or something with the franchise?

Reactions: tankart150
I was way more excited about Marvel land back in the day. Back then it was a franchise of characters that were way underused in the mainstream. Of course, now, they are everywhere, and I'm over it. Back then though, having a spiderman ride and taking a picture with Wolverine was pretty incredible. They made the right choice...obviously.

Maybe...but Batman would have been a way better choice for that ride than Spider-Man...he has the best rogues gallery.

The Sinister Syndicate...and they don't even pick all the cool villains? Scream? Hydro Man? Electro? Yuck.

Spider-Man >>>>>>>>>> Batman

I’ll agree with you on Hydro Man and Scream, but Electro, Doc Ock, and Hobgoblin are great villains

I think the villains they picked worked best for the ride and the effects they wanted to use. I wouldn't change a single thing about Spider-Man. It gets a perfect score from me every time.

Edit: On second thought, I'd update the queue.
I agree. While Spider Man's queue is decent, it's not anywhere near the level of the recent attractions (FJ, Gringotts,HE, Kong, Fallon) and just equal to Transformers.

This actually turned out great - we got the Gotham restrooms out of it!

The best themed restrooms outside of HP IMO. Also, kind of hidden so not very crowded... :poop: