Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Wicked (2024 film)

I’m genuinly disappointed about the news. Saw the show recently and have been obsessed with it. I hoped the news would be coming very soon on the new cast but alas. :( :thud:

I was in the camp that this was never gonna happen - there was no movement on it.

But... Cats?!? Holy Crap that show is absolutely dreadful. I know many love it, but I saw the full two-act broadway version on the Oasis of the Seas. The cast was great, but it also put me to sleep before intermission.

This is coming from someone who performs and loves theater too. I just don’t get the appeal of it.

I was in the camp that this was never gonna happen - there was no movement on it.

But... Cats?!? Holy Crap that show is absolutely dreadful. I know many love it, but I saw the full two-act broadway version on the Oasis of the Seas. The cast was great, but it also put me to sleep before intermission.

This is coming from someone who performs and loves theater too. I just don’t get the appeal of it.
You would have to pay me to sit through Cats again.

Saw the same exact show on the same exact cruise and had the same exact reaction.

"I will tell you 100 percent there will be a movie of 'Wicked' and it won't be that far away, but it won't be next year, because we're still writing," says Stephen Schwartz about the upcoming film adaptation of his Broadway hit.

It was announced last month that the movie adaption of popular musical Wicked was moved off of its original December 20, 2019, release date. “That was always a fake date. There wasn't a prayer in hell,” says Stephen Schwartz, the man behind the stage musical.

Schwartz talked to THR Thursday evening at the Songs of Hope gala benefiting cancer research, where he was being honored with the Warner/Chappell Music "Icon of Hope" Award.

Though it's delayed, Schwartz offers assurance that things are still progressing with the movie: “We're making really good progress. The screenplay has gone through a few drafts. In fact, while I'm out here, I'm going to be seeing Winnie [Holzman], and we're working on the most recent draft.”

Holzman wrote the book for the stage version of Wicked and is now working on the screenplay. “When we're ready, we'll go," Schwartz says. "But we want to make sure we're ready. It won't be forever, but it also won't be next year."

'Wicked' Creator Reveals Fate of the Movie Musical | Hollywood Reporter

It’s encouraging that they actually set a hard date but I really hope this does come to fruition.

On a side note, re-reading some of the posts and it’s ironic that Cats (touring version) is playing in our local theater and they are having a tough time selling tickets.

It’s encouraging that they actually set a hard date but I really hope this does come to fruition.

On a side note, re-reading some of the posts and it’s ironic that Cats (touring version) is playing in our local theater and they are having a tough time selling tickets.

They are actively working on it, the issue is getting a really really really really really good script to start with that justifies its existence as well as the musicals.

I'll say this: After Vanessa Hudgens straight owned Maureen in RENT, I'd be okay with her taking a stab at Elphaba. I'd rather her than Gaga.

Because Cats sucks. It’s the most overrated musical of all-time, imo. I love musical theater, but sitting through this show is a drag, holy crap.

It just always makes me nervous to see a movie that hasn't had frame one shot yet, let alone cast get a release date. It always feels like a recipe for disaster to plan the finish before the start.

They are actively working on it, the issue is getting a really really really really really good script to start with that justifies its existence as well as the musicals.
That’s my fear as well is that it won’t translate over to the big screen as well as the musical did. It is my all time favorite as of right now or at least top 3 so I hope that it does it justice and doesn’t disappoint.
Because Cats sucks. It’s the most overrated musical of all-time, imo. I love musical theater, but sitting through this show is a drag, holy crap.
Yeah my wife and I had no interest in seeing it even though they were giving 2 tickets for free to all paid employees of the theater (she is an Usher Captain.)