Wild Africa Trek | Inside Universal Forums

Wild Africa Trek

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 17, 2009
From Disney Parks Blog:
If you’ve ever wanted to venture off the beaten path and farther into the Kilimanjaro Safaris Expedition savannah, you’ll have a chance later this year. Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park will be offering a new, immersive experience that’ll take a small group of Guests on personalized, guided treks along some unexplored areas of the Harambe Reserve.

During the excursions, you’ll be able to spend more time observing the wildlife on the savannah and have a chance to learn about the animals and their behaviors from one of our Disney guides. Adventurers will also trek through an undeveloped forest area of the Harambe Reserve and then board a unique vehicle specially designed for the rest of the quest.

Walt Disney Imagineers are still working on many of the details but we wanted to share the news with you first. Reservations for this specially priced tour won’t begin until later this year, so keep checking back for more details.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...-will-have-guests-trekking-into-the-savannah/

Gotta love the words "specially priced" which usually means, insanely expensive :lol:

From Screamscape:
A reader sent in a few new details about Disney’s new upcharge Safari Tour in the works for later this year. They tell us that it will be a combination walk/ride tour experience that will take about 3 hours to complete. While you will travel over some sections of the existing tour, new will also venture into new areas not seen before on the normal tour. They tell us that the new vehicle in the works will be a flatbed style car that will offer a more ‘hay ride’ style experience. It could be ready to roll as early as October.

Notice the $129 price is in the middle of winter when most animals hibernate.

This is pretty much Dollywood's mountain adventure course(which is included in park admission) mixed with edge of africa at busch gardens.

I would not pay another 200 bucks. This is kind of tacky to mee. I also don't like that it takes a tad of the immersivness away from Kilimanjaro Safari IMHO.

That being said with 200 bucks a head for this thing, they should be at least able to fix The Yeti and give me what should be included with park admission.

I saw some people on this tour the other day, while I was on the normal Safari ride. They were at the hippo pool --- and let me tell you, the hippos were plenty riled up about it. :lol: Normally when you pass this part, the hippos are pretty listless. But the sight of the tour group hanging above their area (more on that in a moment) had them all in "threaten" mode with the jaws thrown wide open, Jungle Cruise style.

And about that -- that hang above the hippos looks absolutely sick. They were harnessed to a cable, inverted over the cliff at a 45 degree angle with the hippos below. And the rope bridge above the crocs.... Yeah, I know it's all perfectly safe -- but the tour looks like it would be a lot more intense than I expected. After seeing the group on the tour, it's definitely on my list.

I saw some people on this tour the other day, while I was on the normal Safari ride. They were at the hippo pool --- and let me tell you, the hippos were plenty riled up about it. :lol: Normally when you pass this part, the hippos are pretty listless. But the sight of the tour group hanging above their area (more on that in a moment) had them all in "threaten" mode with the jaws thrown wide open, Jungle Cruise style.

And about that -- that hang above the hippos looks absolutely sick. They were harnessed to a cable, inverted over the cliff at a 45 degree angle with the hippos below. And the rope bridge above the crocs.... Yeah, I know it's all perfectly safe -- but the tour looks like it would be a lot more intense than I expected. After seeing the group on the tour, it's definitely on my list.

That seems pretty extreme.

This may be interesting, but there is no way it could compare to the real thing - Kruger National Park in South Africa is the best there is.

Just saw this thread. I had a few co-workers do it a few weeks ago and claimed it was amazing, but not worth the full price. Apparently prices are based seasonally, so if you are wanting to do it, wait until the slower times of year for more bearable prices. I also heard that the provided lunch is very good. No cast member discount though :mean:

:ears:

I know this reply is somewhat old but wifey and I did it in February. For $129 it was really worth it (for us). The breakfast/lunch snackwas pretty cool. The reason the hippos are highly motivated is the CM is throwing slices of watermelon. There was no riled up. :lol:

I know this reply is somewhat old but wifey and I did it in February. For $129 it was really worth it (for us). The breakfast/lunch snackwas pretty cool. The reason the hippos are highly motivated is the CM is throwing slices of watermelon. There was no riled up. :lol:

So, it sounds as if it is better for the hippo's mental health... something to look forward too, something to react to. I like this either way for the animals sake. Now lets do something for the lions and cheetahs as I am not convinced they are as mentally challenged as they should be. Note: I am not an expert on the subject, however, I am not stupid.