1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by AlexanderMBush, Feb 12, 2018.

1. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

It has been broken by The Hollywood Reporter, that Paul King; director of the critically acclaimed Paddington franchise, is in the final stages of negotiations to direct a remake of the Roald Dahl classic, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory.

'Paddington' Director Paul King in Talks for 'Willy Wonka' (Exclusive) | Hollywood Reporter

The film, produced and distributed by Warner Brothers, would see Paul re-united with Paddington producer David Heyman, as the film would be written by SNL Writer Simon Rich. The ambition of the film, is to create a franchise out of telling classic Dahl stories. No release date was given, and no statement was made by Warner Brothers or King representatives.

What do you think? Would you be interested to see what King could pull from his work on the Paddington films to this, or do you think they shouldn't bother?

Honestly speaking, I am not excited about this, even with someone like Paul King on the final stages.

2. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

I doubt box office success will await another Willy Wonka film so soon after the last one. This is getting like the movie studios always releasing new versions of Frankenstein (as an example), that really don't end up doing very well. Stuff gets old & redundant after so many re tellings. I don't think people are clamoring for another version. Plus, they'll never beat the genius Gene Wilder version. Never ever.

jtsalien likes this.
  3. jtsalien

jtsalien Hello. I'm the Doctor. Basically, run. Premium Member

I can't believe people are paid millions of dollars a year to come up with ideas as dumb as this.

Mad Dog likes this.
  4. scott_walker

scott_walker Premium Member

The last one came 13 years ago which is an eternity for Hollywood. In the same time, we've have 3 different Spider-Mans.

Surfster likes this.
  5. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

And in that time, I've seen the Gene Wilder version upward 20 times. Leave well enough alone.

6. deathcab4cutie

deathcab4cutie Member

from what i understand this will be a prequal