Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Wizarding World - Diagon Alley Discussion - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda want to, but I don't know if I'll be able to with work, since it'll probably be on a weekday. It should be insane with crowds... but it's a pretty special event, so if I have the chance, I might go for it.

Either way, I'm definitely gonna try to go during softs.

Sweet man, I'm on vacation and I'm arriving morning of the 18th. Staying on property.

Someone needs to buy the news station a camera from this century.

Oh shut up...

We don't expect to see the sprinkles on Fortescue's Ice Cream in these pictures.

5 trees on the left and one tree on the right. Top of the berm flat, approximately 8 feet in diameter. Bus in its permanent location. Lifts banned from setting their wheels close to the fountain or landscaping. Scope of project ultra magnificent. Even backstage looks sexy and mysterious. Committed employees must be pissing their pants to get in there. It makes Hogsmeade look like child's play.

I kinda want to, but I don't know if I'll be able to with work, since it'll probably be on a weekday. It should be insane with crowds... but it's a pretty special event, so if I have the chance, I might go for it.

Either way, I'm definitely gonna try to go during softs.

I for sure am going to go softs, but there is this small part of me that really wants to go opening day and get there really early the night before. Just that insane part of me though. Maybe we can have a crazies meetup :rofl:

- - - Updated - - -

Nice. Wish they could have gone a little more to the right and got more Diagon :)

I see. However, they definitely sold those packages way in advance and someone must have made a decision at some point at time that they would at the very least have soft openings going on for those guests if they weren't ready to officially open yet, which is exactly what happened. I was one of the people who purchased a WWOHP vacation package, and I went from being shocked and confused when they announced a grand opening date after my vacation dates to relieved and surprisingly pleased when I discovered that although WWOHP wouldn't be open all day, it would be open in the mornings to vacation package guests only. A few hours in a minimally crowded DA beats opening-day DA crowds hands down.

I would think they could fill their on-site hotels even before the grand opening if they began selling WWOHP-Diagon Alley packages that guaranteed guests would be able to visit DA at least a few hours each morning whether it was officially open or not. The only reason I can imagine they wouldn't start selling DA vacation packages is if there is some important aspect of DA (e.g. Gringotts, Hogwarts Express, or the new Ollivanders) that is so completely dysfunctional that they are completely unable at this point to predict even when it will be ready for partial-day soft openings.

A lot of guests were angry and confused, plus it put a lot of pressure on operations to get FJ up and running and keeping in running for the morning. So honestly, I don't see them selling packages until opening if at all for the first couple weeks. They really don't NEED to sell packages this time. People will come no matter what and spend tons of money, they won't need to offer incentives and they know this. That is why they are not announcing anything yet, they don't really want the crowds they had last time. The more people waiting in line to get into the park or getting into Diagon is less money they are spending. They want people to come slowly over the entire summer, not just opening week.

Last edited:
Is the only reason we are thinking June 18th or 19th because of the time the park closes? Wouldn't the power pass blackout dates hold just as much value as closing times? (power pass is blocked out starting June 14th)
I feel like if Universal was confident about the opening date, we would know already. So these blockout dates, and closing times mean nothing because they were planned out before Universal knew when it would open.
Also it's the middle of June, so of course the hours are going to start to be longer.

lolwut?

I'm not holding the standard to anyone. I'm saying that the other big ticket attraction in the same city is opening sooner and doesn't have an announced opening date. Both should have announced weeks ago, but they haven't. Because it's not a big deal.
I don't want to de-rail but I feel like Uni should be Uni and Disney should be Disney.

Universal is doing better, that's known on the board, but you can't gloat if you're comparing it to an inferior competitor. That's lowering the standard of the product.

Is the only reason we are thinking June 18th or 19th because of the time the park closes? Wouldn't the power pass blackout dates hold just as much value as closing times? (power pass is blocked out starting June 14th)
I feel like if Universal was confident about the opening date, we would know already. So these blockout dates, and closing times mean nothing because they were planned out before Universal knew when it would open.
Also it's the middle of June, so of course the hours are going to start to be longer.

Trust me. They know. They've known for a long time.

Trust me. They know. They've known for a long time.

If you look at the Uni press releases lately they have been timed to take place just after Disney press releases. With the Seven Dwarves ride opening soon, Uni wants to stick to that pattern and blow Disney's big announcement out of the water.
Add to that the fact that we already know they have a must open by date and it should be clear they know exactly what they are up to.

Last edited:
If you look at the Uni press releases lately they have been timed to take place just after Disney press releases. With the Seven Dwarves ride opening soon, Uni wants to stick to that pattern and blow Disney's big announcement out of the water.

This is sadly, probably the case. Both of them seem to be hesitant of the other, which is nuts to me. Their attractions don't really cross in appeal demographics, and more than likely people will go to see both anyway. Disney doesn't need to protect anything opening in the MK. People will go to the MK no matter what.

When it comes to this project, I believe Disney is irrelevant. If Uni announces grand tomorrow and Disney announces *whatever* next week, phase II will continue roll right over it. Pictures, videos, reviews, celebrities... it will be a 30 day pageant of Potter.

I'd lol if 3 hours after 7DMT's GO announcement, Uni drops DA's.

Anyway, we should also soon start getting TV commercials and shows like Ellen showing the the inside of the actual expansion.

This is sadly, probably the case. Both of them seem to be hesitant of the other, which is nuts to me. Their attractions don't really cross in appeal demographics, and more than likely people will go to see both anyway. Disney doesn't need to protect anything opening in the MK. People will go to the MK no matter what.

I'd lol if 3 hours after 7DMT's GO announcement, Uni drops DA's.

Anyway, we should also soon start getting TV commercials and shows like Ellen showing the the inside of the actual expansion.

It's a business plan that seems to be working for them. After all, how many people are talking about Avatarland...

When it comes to this project, I believe Disney is irrelevant. If Uni announces grand tomorrow and Disney announces *whatever* next week, phase II will continue roll right over it. Pictures, videos, reviews, celebrities... it will be a 30 day pageant of Potter.

I completely agree with you, but the only legitimate reason I can think of for not announcing a date is that they're trying to one up the Mine Train for some reason.

It's a business plan that seems to be working for them. After all, how many people are talking about Avatarland...

Well, Avatar is 3 years away.

Most people without small children would rather spend their money these days at Universal University rather than Disney Daycare.

- - - Updated - - -

What's Avatarland???........oh yeah, that thing that the imagineer with the all the earrings ripping off his ear lobe is obsessed with.

I completely agree with you, but the only legitimate reason I can think of for not announcing a date is that they're trying to one up the Mine Train for some reason.

This is my thinking as well. It does seem silly as even though both are family based, Potter is a LAND while Seven Dwarves is a single coaster.

Well, Avatar is 3 years away.

True, but when HP was three years away people were talking.

My last post on this thread concerning Disney but related to what Uni has done. Why the heck didn't Disney jump on the development of Star Wars themed lands and attractions instead of doing this Avatar stuff??? I would have taken a page from Uni and developed new Star Wars lands for Disney Studios and Animal Kingdom. They wouldn't have been connected (although Disney has the money to) but they could have been cross promoted and contained multiple E-tix.

Status
Not open for further replies.