Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Wonder Woman 1984 (DCEU)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It's strange how 1984 is this sort of epicenter in pop culture right now, between AHS and Wonder Woman. Like, I'd expect it from a year divisible by 5.

I'm sure that around the Holidays movie going will increase, but i'd still give a solid35-40% chance that this movie changes release dates again if we see No Time To Die and Sould under-perform and then some of those big movies in early December like Free Guyy, Top Gun 2 and Dune underperform. Although eventually, there comes a point where these need to be released. Can't go full 'The New Mutants' and hold onto it for 3 years.

I'm sure that around the Holidays movie going will increase, but i'd still give a solid35-40% chance that this movie changes release dates again if we see No Time To Die and Sould under-perform and then some of those big movies in early December like Free Guyy, Top Gun 2 and Dune underperform. Although eventually, there comes a point where these need to be released. Can't go full 'The New Mutants' and hold onto it for 3 years.

They really should have moved to a better date when they had the chance like Fast 9, classic case of hubris coming to bite WB in the ass

Wonder Woman 1984 has been leaked for HBOMax, will release for no additional fee on Christmas Day, ontop of the Theatrical Release.

The video this was shown in was taken down by WB themselves--seems they may be prepping for an announcement this week.

Wonder Woman 1984 has been leaked for HBOMax, will release for no additional fee on Christmas Day, ontop of the Theatrical Release.

The video this was shown in was taken down by WB themselves--seems they may be prepping for an announcement this week.

Well that settles it then. It's not moving to next Summer, which I thought would be relatively safe. If studios don't even think next Summer will be a good time to release movies, then I don't see how theaters survive.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

Tough time for female superhero’s if both WW1984 and Black Widow end up basically skipping theaters. Like, sure this would go into theaters, but whose gonna go if you can spend $15 for a month of HBO Max and watch it at home with the whole family?

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Tough time for female superhero’s if both WW1984 and Black Widow end up basically skipping theaters. Like, sure this would go into theaters, but whose gonna go if you can spend $15 for a month of HBO Max and watch it at home with the whole family?
Kind of whiffs of desperation on Warner's part. They must really want HBO Max to be successful to drop one of their biggest blockbusters. Either that or, as mentioned before, they don't see any hope for next summer. It could be a mix of the two.

I'd suspect Column A/B.
My thought too.

EDIT: I'd also suspect Tom and Jerry (which already looks like a Netflix movie) and Saints of Newark get bumped from theatrical release. And by bumped I mean released in a perfunctory manner to a minority of theaters. I also suspect many film studios will try to take the Netflix model for releasing their Oscar contenders into theaters in the coming years.

COVID has really accelerated everyone’s move to streaming. I think this type of day and date release on theatrical/streaming will become the norm for all movies going forward.

Variety has now picked it up.

COVID has really accelerated everyone’s move to streaming. I think this type of day and date release on theatrical/streaming will become the norm for all movies going forward.

I'm genuinely curious to see how Sony is going to handle things going forward. They don't have a proper outlet for streaming, and they have multiple high level films that are probably waiting for release. I'm also willing to wonder if NBCU/Comcast may be looking into Fast8, considering that's complete and finished.

I just don't think it will be enough to keep theaters going however. Like, how much money will AMC realistically be making from the Croods versus how much money Universal will make from it on PVOD? Why would anyone bother with the expense of five WW84 tickets when they can watch it online for a third of the price?
I'm genuinely curious to see how Sony is going to handle things going forward. They don't have a proper outlet for streaming, and they have multiple high level films that are probably waiting for release. I'm also willing to wonder if NBCU/Comcast may be looking into Fast8, considering that's complete and finished.
They probably go the Paramount route and sell it for their estimated break-even point to one of the major streaming services like Netflix or Amazon.

Variety has now picked it up.

Sony does own Crackle. It’s not that popular of a service and nor does Sony seem to be caring to go all-in on it, but if they are smart, they will rebrand it going forward and put more money towards it.

I just don't think it will be enough to keep theaters going however. Like, how much money will AMC realistically be making from the Croods versus how much money Universal will make from it on PVOD? Why would anyone bother with the expense of five WW84 tickets when they can watch it online for a third of the price?

They probably go the Paramount route and sell it for their estimated break-even point to one of the major streaming services like Netflix or Amazon.
Lol, WB is NOT selling Wonder Woman 1984.

So this is going for free on HBO Max, and the rumors are Black Widow being a PVOD like Mulan. Strange that WB isn't trying the same strategy.

Well now I will get HBO again on Christmas, i want to support moves like this.

Also I'm excited I get to finally see a movie I really wanted to this year...this year.