Would you rather? | Inside Universal Forums

Would you rather?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Would you rather be at work or get squirted by water?

• Total voters

Joel

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2016
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
A big debate has been started over in the Jimmy Fallon thread, and so I really wanted to find out...

Would you rather be at work or get squirted by water?

Reactions: s8film40
I'm sorry but I despise getting wet, as in, I won't ride Splash Mountain because it soaked me the last time. My wife says I'm part cat but I don't know if she is inferring something else.

Reactions: Joel
My friends came up from Miami to visit the park - which they haven't been to since Hogsmeade was brand new - and made the comment "it felt like every movie was spitting at me".

Exactly. I don't need to be spritzed to understand that water was involved in the scene. Just like I don't need to have a blast of 500 degree air to tell me that flame was involved. They could pull the ol' gag and put vibrating devices (not that kind) into the back of the seat. Then, when the scene infers that something is going to crawl up your spine, the device goes off. Of course, that is a very old gag.

I'm fine with getting a spritz, but there's definitely some overkill.

I sat through a Kong meeting where the designer was like "...and it's not a Universal ride if we aren't spraying you with water."

Another Jay Stein theme park philosophy from Genneway's new book, JayBangs...pg 187...Gary Goddard admired Stein. He said, "There was Walt Disney but after Walt Disney, it was Jay Stein and his building of the parks into something new and different. He knew instantly what it was that would set Universal apart. Real water, real fire, real pyros, in-your-face and putting people in the middle of the action. Something Disney didn't do and really because of their audience base, couldn't do" He added, "He (Jay Stein) was in the game to win-and he (we) had to do it for a fraction of what Disney was doing it for-and yet-we had to compete. Guys like me need guys like Jay for great things to happen".

I don't mind it, but it's certainly overused.

There are certain rides where it is better utilized and I like the effect on those, but others it just feels tacked on and unnecessary. I can appreciate "real" effects being used, but when water is sprayed on you on so many rides, it ceases to be a novelty.

I find it often adds to the realism. For instance, in Gringots, when the water doe snot work it is just not the same, because you expect to get hit by something. In Kong as well, in the 360 scene, when the water and wind effects are not working, then I find the whole thing underwhelming.

I find it often adds to the realism. For instance, in Gringots, when the water doe snot work it is just not the same, because you expect to get hit by something. In Kong as well, in the 360 scene, when the water and wind effects are not working, then I find the whole thing underwhelming.
Good point. I recall that when Gringotts opened, the water effect didn't work for the first few months, and posters on this forum were complaining big time.

What 4-D effect do you guys dislike the most? Water, the little ticklers (like on Shrek and It's Tough to Be A Bug), or smelly effects (a chili dog comes to mine)?

What 4-D effect do you guys dislike the most? Water, the little ticklers (like on Shrek and It's Tough to Be A Bug), or smelly effects (a chili dog comes to mine)?
The only thing that's worse than being squirted with water is bubbles.