Wreck It Ralph II (2018) | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Wreck It Ralph II (2018)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Saw it yesterday and it was fine. No where near as good as the first and easily forgettable.

To be blunt, I thought to myself before going in, with no expectations only to that, "I hope they don't Emoji Movie a Wreck-It-Ralph sequel". And as I said that, I come out enjoying the film more than I expected.

I think they may of overplayed the best scenes in the trailer, but that actually leads to one of my favorite things, they purposely did some things in particular ways to where scenes are altered, or completely omitted. And to be honest, I'm very much glad that they did that.

The Princess scene, is still the best. And if anything, I'd love to see them pick up that old Princess Academy concept from the past, and revitalize it with the style and writing of this, the Mickey shorts, and Lego Batman in a way.

It was fine. I thought the beginning was pretty slow up until the Slaughter Race scenes. The Princesses were the best parts. Didn't laugh as much as the first one, though. It's a well-made movie, just a little let down by it.

It was fine. I thought the beginning was pretty slow up until the Slaughter Race scenes. The Princesses were the best parts. Didn't laugh as much as the first one, though. It's a well-made movie, just a little let down by it.

Pretty much this.

Combination of problems here... first one was very tight, with five emotionally-involved characters (Ralph, Vanellope, Turbo, Felix, and Calhoun). The video game mythology was novel and at times trailblazing, with a new-age Roger Rabbit vibe. This movie sidelines Felix & Calhoun into a two minute gag, and the new characters it introduces aren't really characters - they're plot devices with a minimum amount of evolving emotional engagement. It's Ralph's and Vanellope's show - and they're great characters, but they can only bear so much weight. And the whole "we're inside the Internet!" gags have been done again and again in other films (Emoji movies) and more immediate, ironically Internet-based mediums -- i.e. a number of accessible, online sketches. It doesn't have the same "wow" factor the original did with video games.

While we're at it, the second act packed in a lot of laughs and fun "gotcha" moments, but wasn't all that organized or propulsive. It's still a fun ride, but it pales structurally to the first.

The Ralph "Kong" was unnerving and a little too weird. The little Ralph's all climbing each other wasn't my cup of tea. If I'd been a kid, I might have needed therapy afterwards.

Reactions: ChrisFL
Saw it last night and liked it a lot. Probably would prefer the first one, but this comes very close. I think the movie it reminded me the most of was Toy Story 3 since both deal with the idea of friends inevitably drifting apart. Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it yet and it's currently my favorite animated movie of the year. Let's see if Spider-Verse tops it.

I think the movie it reminded me the most of was Toy Story 3 since both deal with the idea of friends inevitably drifting apart.

I mean, they call themselves "friends" but I thought this was obviously about sending your kid off to college (hence the joke of all the GTA rip-off characters being so "woke"). Just as a bunch of John Hughes movies can be strung together to illustrate freshman year of high school thu freshman year of college, I feel like Lassiter era Pixar/Disney has a "raising kids" cycle that starts with Nemo and ends here. Kind of over it, can't we go back to the timeless traditional tales for a while?

Anyway, probably the most random criticism of the film you'll see.

Reactions: RevFreako
It looks like Ralph's legs are super weak
With zero studio wide entries, the weekend box is Disney’s Ralph Breaks the Internet to own for an estimated third weekend take of $15M, -41% for what will be a running total of $139.7M.

Finally saw it. I liked it better than the first, don't @ me, but I don't think I'll prefer it in ten years. That's fine, too; fifty two year old me can like what he wants, because I'm not him.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
So Ralph 2 has legged it's way to $190M domestic so far and $434 Worldwide. It's now barely outperformed the original movie, which pulled in $189M domestic, however Worldwide it still trails (WIR pulled in $471.2M WW). Nevertheless, it's clear that the WIR franchise isn't really a high performing franchise for the mouse. I'm not sure how the merchandise is selling for the movie though.

Disney will probably leave the movie in theaters as long as possible in hopes that it gets to $200M and then pull it.

Following up on my above post (from mid-January, mind you)... WIR2 finally broke $200M yesterday, on it's 101st day in theaters, and after being released on blu-ray/DVD. It's only playing in 204 theaters at this point, so my prediction that they'll probably pull it after it hitting $200M is probably likely. Worldwide, the movie has brought in $514M.

I think this is going to be the last Disney new release to ever hit Netflix (and it won't be around for long). Check it out if you haven't seen it!

The last film should be Merry Poppins actually, as that was the last theatrical film released by Disney for 2018 (and all of Disney's theatrical slate, even you Nutcracker, did pop up onto Netflix).

The last film should be Merry Poppins actually, as that was the last theatrical film released by Disney for 2018 (and all of Disney's theatrical slate, even you Nutcracker, did pop up onto Netflix).
Yeah, it was stated that the first theatrical movie to go directly to Disney+ would be Captain Marvel, leaving Poppins to go to Netflix for a few months.

Reactions: Clive