Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Jul 16, 2009
30 Rock
Kick-Ass and X-Men: First Class director Mathew Vaughn is coming back to direct the franchise's sequel after its first installment boasted critical and financial success.

Matthew Vaughn has signed on to direct a sequel to X-Men: First Class. According to Deadline, Simon Kinberg (X-Men: The Last Stand) will write the script and Bryan Singer will return to produce. X-Men: First Class was terrific and I’m glad that Vaughn will return for the sequel. I’m also excited to see what he’ll do with (hopefully) a bigger budget and more production time. It’s a little surprising that Vaughn’s frequent collaborator Jane Goldman hasn’t signed on to pen the screenplay, but it’s possible that she’ll come on board later in the process.

Now we can let the speculation begin about what the sequel holds in store. Vaughn said in May that he would like the second movie would open with the JFK assassination and Magneto controlling the “magic bullet”. Indulging conspiracy theorists aside, I’m curious to see which new mutants will the fray. If the movie is set in 1963, it’s probably too early to see Cyclops and Jean Grey kicking around Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters.

From Collider

I still have to watch the first one. I like the X-Men movies, but just haven't found the time to catch First Class yet.
Anyways, apart from the director, the screenplay plays a huge role in the success of a movie. If FC was so widely acclaimed, I'd hope they get the same screenwriter to do the sequel as well. I don't think X-Men: The Last Stand got great reviews, so bringing that screenwriter might not be the best idea. We'll see :shrug:

I still have to watch the first one. I like the X-Men movies, but just haven't found the time to catch First Class yet.
Anyways, apart from the director, the screenplay plays a huge role in the success of a movie. If FC was so widely acclaimed, I'd hope they get the same screenwriter to do the sequel as well. I don't think X-Men: The Last Stand got great reviews, so bringing that screenwriter might not be the best idea. We'll see :shrug:

Problem wasn't the screenwriter. It was the rushed production with a mediocre director.

The first one was good, a little slow in the middle,
Glad Vaughn is returning and that the "origin" is out of the way I am hoping we get a Mr. Sinister for a villian. Aslo hope they start to change the appearence of Beast so he doesn't look like a kitten.

The first one was good, a little slow in the middle,
Glad Vaughn is returning and that the "origin" is out of the way I am hoping we get a Mr. Sinister for a villian. Aslo hope they start to change the appearence of Beast so he doesn't look like a kitten.

Oh man, would I kill for Mr. Sinister. Although, I don't think they use that name. I think they'll just call him Nathaniel Essex.

If they go this route, count in Scott Summers.

Aslo hope they start to change the appearence of Beast so he doesn't look like a kitten.

Beast looks like a feline in the comics.

Oh man, would I kill for Mr. Sinister. Although, I don't think they use that name. I think they'll just call him Nathaniel Essex.

If they go this route, count in Scott Summers.

Sinister would be a great villain, and would be a terrific opening for Apocalypse in the third.

I think we can count out Scott though. I don't think we'll see any of them in the movies, but I could be wrong.

Sinister would be a great villain, and would be a terrific opening for Apocalypse in the third.

I think we can count out Scott though. I don't think we'll see any of them in the movies, but I could be wrong.

I do not know what the comic version looks like today, my first introduction to Beast was in The Avengers back in 1976 as Wonder Mans buddy, so it may very well be the look in the books.

I would just like to see his the size and features mature a bit, maybe lok a little meaner.

The first one, I got why they cut Scott, but I think they need to include him in this one. They need to show the Cyclops fromt he comics, as the leader amd baddass of the group, and not play 2nd fiddle to Wolverine. I hated his portrayl in the X-Men Trilogy. If they include Sinister, they need to have the Summer Bros, as he always had a thing for them.

The first one, I got why they cut Scott, but I think they need to include him in this one. They need to show the Cyclops fromt he comics, as the leader amd baddass of the group, and not play 2nd fiddle to Wolverine. I hated his portrayl in the X-Men Trilogy. If they include Sinister, they need to have the Summer Bros, as he always had a thing for them.

Yup, he would be good adversary for Prof X.
In the backround I would like them to start developing the Sentinals as the human response for a third movie.

Cast confirmed to return

Concurrent with today’s announcement that Emma Watts renewed her contract as 20th Century Fox production president until 2015, it was revealed that Fox has closed deals for Matthew Vaughn and the cast of X-Men: First Class to return for the forthcoming sequel.

Vaughn joins previously-announced collaborators Bryan Singer (X-Men and X2), who is producing, and Simon Kinberg, who wrote Sherlock Holmes, but perhaps more importantly to fans of the franchise, the critically-reviled X-Men: The Last Stand.

An X-Men: First Class sequel would offer Vaughn his first successful franchise after stalled efforts to turn Stardust and Kick-Ass into film series. Meanwhile, in October the filmmaker discussed the possibility of taking on The Secret Service or Superior, two other projects which would reunite him with his Kick-Ass collaborator, Mark Millar.

X-Men: First Class successfully relaunched the marquee franchise, and was one of the best reviewed tentpoles of the year, as well as earning $353.6 million worldwide. The sequel should benefit from the attention Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence have attracted via upcoming projects such as Fassbender’s Prometheus and Lawrence’s starring role in the hotly anticipated adaptation of The Hunger Games.

From Heat Vision

Release date set for two years from now.

From Hypable

The X-Men: First Class sequel directed by Matthew Vaughn, which Jennifer Lawrence had committed to long before The Hunger Games: Catching Fire has gotten its release date.

You’ll be able to see Lawrence reprising her role as Mystique, with Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy as Magneto and Professor Xavier respectively, on July 18, 2014.

Catching Fire lost director Gary Ross because Lawrence’s agreement for the First Class sequel forced her to have to film the former film first. Ross didn’t like the little amount of time he had to work with.

^^^Completely disagree. By far the best X-Men film, and one of my top 5 comic book films.

The bar for 'best X-Men film' wasn't hard to meet. Some of the casting was well done and it had a decent soundtrack but trying to sell it as a prequel to only the fist half of the preexisting franchise despite still having blinding continuity errors was just dumb. Reboot the series or don't. The writing wasn't very strong either. Not even close to my top 5 comic films.

The writing was definitely strong. Dunno why you think it wasn't.

The whole reboot/not a reboot was dumb, but whatever. Doesn't bother me.

The coin-through-the-head scene, for instance. Why on Earth would X just hang out in that body and needlessly endure pain? The moment the coin penetrated brain, it was game over...so just leave the body and pat yourself on the back for trying. Or the scene right after when there are missiles being fired at them...they all just kind of stood there idly. One guy could summon cyclones (which would have alleviated many of the missiles), while another guy could literally have just teleported everybody to safety. Instead they both pretend to be helpless for some baffling reason while Magneto took charge. How about Darwin, remember that guy? The only black guy and first (if not only) kid to be killed? How about Panthro, aka Beast, aka the worst scientist ever wearing the worst costume ever despite still being human in the second X-Men film? What got me the most was how they completely dumbed down Magneto, dropping him from "semi-genius who made the telepathy-proof helmet with the knowledge gained by co-create Cerebro" to "Angry guy who stole it off a dead dude." I'll never understand why this film got such high praise. It wasn't Electra bad, that's not what I'm saying, but it could have been so much better.

I'm almost certain that First Class doesn't follow the canon of the other X-Men films, with the exception of Origins: Wolverine.

I'm almost certain that First Class doesn't follow the canon of the other X-Men films, with the exception of Origins: Wolverine.

I do believe Matthew Vaughn did say that it does not follow cannon, but does have some influences from the first 2 movies.

I think those are minor details that one can overlook. I think it's an awesome movie with a really strong plot, cast, and script. It's also a period piece, based in the Cuban Missile Crisis, with X-Men. That's some serious awesome fuel as far as I'm concerned. I honestly thought it would be mediocre at best and I was seriously blown away by how good it was.