Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Zoom Lens - Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Our new Zoom Lens series presents something a bit different than our usual podcast releases. Each episode of Zoom Lens will offer an in-depth look at attractions, events, lands, and more around the Universal Parks & Resorts.

In this first episode, we take a look at the history and making of Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem. The attraction first opened in Universal Studios Florida in 2012, eventually making its way over to Universal Studios Hollywood with a much more expanded presence.

Inside Universal Radio: Zoom Lens – Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem | Inside Universal

We hope so. We want to do more things like this - podcasts, history videos, more interviews, but ya'll gotta give us the feedback.

This is something I will definitely get into. Just my own two cents but was that name for the series focus tested (no pun intended)?

I love this new idea and can’t wait to hear more Zoom Lens podcasts! Some feedback I would like to give is that guest host Rick Gutierrez’s voice was very low at least for me and I had to keep alternating the volume. Other than that, great job!

I love this new idea and can’t wait to hear more Zoom Lens podcasts! Some feedback I would like to give is that guest host Rick Gutierrez’s voice was very low at least for me and I had to keep alternating the volume. Other than that, great job!

Thank you for the feedback. I agree with your assessment and we addressed it as best as we could for the first time out. Look forward to more...

I recently subscribed to this podcast and love the in-depth Universal talk about what works, what doesn't, what's new, what's being replaced. This is also my first comment on these forums! But it's this episode in particular that really hit the right chord for me. My first Universal Studios visit was in 1990 with my parents when I was 8. Every time I go there or think back on that visit, I have bits and pieces of memories (the hanging Jaws, talking to K.I.T.T., Fievel's Playland, boarding the tram, Wild West Stunt Show), but the geography completely escapes me. For years, I've searched for pictures or maps of the park of when I went, to fill in my memory gaps and you posting those older maps made my month! It all clicked in for me seeing those. I have a handful of pictures and a good amount of Palmcorder footage of that day and I can't wait to post, comment and discover in the years to come on these forums. Thank you for this electric jolt of sweet, sweet nostalgia.

I’m only about 1/4 of a way through, but I like the episode so far! There isn’t much about Universal history or deep dives into the attractions.

Agree with the others on the audio issue, but it’s a first-time podcast. I have no doubts you’ll work out the technical stuff.

One suggestion I do have might be to try and condense the material a bit. The episode is roughly around 2 hours long. From the first 30 minutes, it seems like it’s equal parts banter/stories and history. The banter/stories is great to hear (please don’t lose it) but it can make the podcast super long

Liked it a lot!

Loved the history and the "why they did it this way".

But confusing Jay Rasulo for Jay Stein is inexcusable. Jay Stein is the reason we have these parks, let alone HP and now SWGE.

JayBangs, It's an entire book! Having trouble linking it. Ha!
Love these type of pods, just please don't be dumb. :cheers:

I just listened to this and thought it was absolutely fantastic. A touch on the long side, yes, but overall packed with great stuff.

I would love to see more attractions from either coast (past and present) tackled this extensively!

Thanks for a great first-time episode! Got about the last half hour to go, but really enjoying the look back, the input from both of you, and some things from USH's past I forgot about! Looking forward to more!
(I vote for Prop Plaza, but I'm simple to please. You get off the tram, get back on the tram....)