Avatar in Disneyland | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The cynic in me is still... well, I don't trust Bob Iger. I hope we can take his words at face value here, but my 32 years on this planet make me skeptical.

The thinking on me is, this is for Disneyland Forward; and it is the "Guarantee" sweetener like how Wizarding World of Harry Potter was for NBCUniversal Evolution Plan.

However in so doing; I think this warrants a question to if Disneyland Forward, would they genuinely want to expand DCA and DL the way that has been envisioned; or would they rather use the space that is planned for that as DTD/Parking expansion; with Toy Story Lot then being claimed for a large scale project that can warrant centralization.

Reactions: Jake S
If I was thinking logistically--whatever was being planned for DCA might be something that is more on par with Launch Bay; a "temporary" experience that keeps people invested and wanting to see of Avatar (alongside being able to properly introduce merchandise).

Let that be a means for people to settle and relax; but also promise Avatar as a headliner for "Disneyland Forward" expansion. Ensuring people that they will be getting the full experience later on (*and personally in my opinion; being a headliner IP for a third gate*).

The thinking on me is, this is for Disneyland Forward; and it is the "Guarantee" sweetener like how Wizarding World of Harry Potter was for NBCUniversal Evolution Plan.

However in so doing; I think this warrants a question to if Disneyland Forward, would they genuinely want to expand DCA and DL the way that has been envisioned; or would they rather use the space that is planned for that as DTD/Parking expansion; with Toy Story Lot then being claimed for a large scale project that can warrant centralization.
I was under the impression and still hope that based on what's been shown to us of DL Forward thus far is that DCA and DL will be built out long before any hypothetical third gate in the Toy Story lot.
I’m glad to hear he plans on bringing Pandora over here, but it better not be at the expense of Soarin and Grizzly. It better be an expansion.

I won’t shed a tear if they bulldoze Monsters Inc for it.
A while back Micechat actually claimed that their sources heard that Avatar will be replacing Hollywoodland. It makes sense Disney wants to replace this much maligned remaining area of DCA 1.0 before they touch the Simba lot.

As for the attractions I could see this land incorporating elements from the Avatar sequels.

I’m in the seeing is believing camp right now as well.

I get the desire to focus on California these days. It’s very plausible that a decent spend can occur on the West coast first. I’m just waiting on the first penny of that “60 billion” being spent or an announcement about Forward moving…forward, before I buy in.

Hopefully this is a breadcrumb for actual announcements at D23.

Reactions: TheUniC6 and Jake S
I'd be absolutely stunned if a third gate was announced for California in the next 10 years.
Yeah, come on, guys.
I am probably an idiot, but I genuinely do not see DLForward expanding the parks to the way that has been envisioned. I don't think it's viable; and that space would be better suited for DTD/Hotel/Parking growth than that of the parks (and in essence, it makes you ask where park growth would even be applicable for).

On things happening 100 Percent....the HM Q is completely gone and and the area around it is also mostly just dirt now

This whole area is going to be sooo different when it returns

I’m in the seeing is believing camp right now as well.

I get the desire to focus on California these days. It’s very plausible that a decent spend can occur on the West coast first. I’m just waiting on the first penny of that “60 billion” being spent or an announcement about Forward moving…forward, before I buy in.

Hopefully this is a breadcrumb for actual announcements at D23.
Gonna be real here....60 billion is pretty low for an expansion like that. At least by Disney standards.

Reactions: Nico
Gonna be real here....60 billion is pretty low for an expansion like that. At least by Disney standards.
I think Alicia speculated on a pod that just EU itself, potentially cost anywhere between 6-7 billion. That may not include land purchases or 2 of the hotels.

Spend Convo starts around 21:00 mark.

I doubt Disney would spend 60 billion on Forward. Granted, that 60 billion is supposed to be spread around the globe for the next 10 years.

A new land based on the second movie isn't the worse idea.
From the guys who have yet to build the Avengers E-Ticket….
How much pull does James Cameron have? Rephrased, would it be like he'd push Disney to build this sooner than later? There are more sequels on the way too that could easily be tied in for marketing.

Reactions: Nico
A new land based on the second movie isn't the worse idea.

How much pull does James Cameron have? Rephrased, would it be like he'd push Disney to build this sooner than later? There are more sequels on the way too that could easily be tied in for marketing.
There does seem to be a lot of movement being made on this from Iger mentioning it on multiple occasions, that Imagineer letting it slip about it going in DCA at IAAPA, and that producer visiting Imagineering.

The full quote from Iger is actually pretty interesting:

"The whole thing starts with how do you allocate capital as a company," Iger said. "And if you look at the return on invested capital of that business over the last 20 years, particularly over the last 10, the track record is extraordinary. And we have thousands of acres of land still to develop. We could actually build seven new full lands if we wanted to around the world, including the ability to increase the size of Disneyland in California, which everybody thinks is kind of landlocked, by 50%."

The full quote from Iger is actually pretty interesting:
I’m treating what Iger is saying here with cautious optimism. There is a part of it that wants me to believe he’s smart enough to invest in the one thing that’s really keeping Disney afloat now…on the other hand, I’m included to think he’s bluffing a little bit towards his fanbase and investors, especially with Peltz breathing down his neck. I don’t think those price increases and budget cuts the parks have been going through lately are going to expanding DLR by 50%, but hey, if he does it, that’s great.

Forget expansion, just fully renovate Tomorrowland already!!! Breathe life into the original "space port" of the twisted future that is just begging for full Discovery!(land)

Or at least give DL Alien Encounter! This generation needs to get the :poop: scared out of them like we did as teens! *twitches*

.....but yea sure Avatar (The Last Airbender) or whatever..

Last edited: