Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Akbar's Adventure Tours

Apr 13, 2010
Tampa, Florida
Having recently gone back to Busch Gardens with a friend of mine, I recalled the late Akbar's Adventure Tours. Having done a little research on the internet, I pretty much came up with.. well.. nothing about why the ride was shut down. Was it not very popular? Was it rougher or not as enjoyable than I remember it being? Now it just stands there, the building unused and unloved, the doors blocked by a bunch of potted plants, with only a few signs near it to signify that anything was ever there at some point. It's mildly depressing to see that space go unused.

I know there's a ton of park savvy people here that know way more than I do, so I figured this'd be a good place to go to try to find some information about why it was taken down. All I've found out about it was when it was built, when it was made seasonal, and then when it was completely dismantled. Anything information besides that is non-existent.

So, I beseech thee, Orlando United. Bestow upon me your info, knowledge and (for better or worse), opinions.

It now houses a haunted house that they use for HowlOScream, they keep it up all year.
Ackbar was horrible compaired to Questar, IMO. Hated the sim anyway.

They keep it up all year? Interesting. I didn't see a way to get in when I was there. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

But I agree with Cheezbat. I never tried Questar, but I loved Akbar's Adventure Tours.

They keep it up all year? Interesting. I didn't see a way to get in when I was there. Maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

But I agree with Cheezbat. I never tried Questar, but I loved Akbar's Adventure Tours.

They keep four houses set up all year, the entrances are there if look around the corners.

DSC07296_zpsc09bb46b.jpg

Last edited:
Couple of things on Questor and Akbar, a lot of this is from memory so forgive me if I get some things wrong.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kTNWeVaY050" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Questor:
You entered the building from the side of the building that faced the Clydesdale/Cheetah area. The building looked similar to what it does today however there was a Questor sign at the front, The line for the attraction would go towards the left side of the building into the 1st preshow. The room had a kinda steam punk/da vinci/dreamfinder aesthetic as seen in 10-36 in the youtube video. As you can see the guy has British colonial garb and his backstory tied in to the Crown Colony House next to the building. The premise of the ride is that you are going to provide him with Jurbillium energy to find a special crystal. The vehicle can fly and go underwater(I'm looking at you wild Arctic). I'm 90% you then went into either 2 loading rooms, on the floor were light pucks where you would stand corresponding to a seat inside. The theme carried in here a little crystals and a few other decorations. From there you would be loaded into the simulator which starts at 37 in the video. I think you miss a few seconds when the video jumps. Important note at 1:27 you get flushed down a toilet. After that I think you emptied into a generic hall and exited from the right side of the building.

As a kid it was my favorite ride at BGT and I rode it sooo many times. When Akbar opened I think i was excited because I was older and it was part of the new Egyptian land with Montu and the king tut walk through (which had a wait, storyline and i think took about 10-15minutes).

As far as Akbar goes I probably rode it 15-20 times soo it's a little blurrier. First they moved the entrance to the Egyptian side most of the ride line was inside lots of shenanigans and props on the walls and ceiling at the front of the room there was a holding area and two doors. One door would open everyone would file in and stand on the light pucks just like Questor. Some of the pucks are visible from the preshow vid. I don't remember much of the ride other than Martin Short acting goofy and the Mummy Drop down which was mildly scarey depending on location in the simulator. From what I remember it wasn't that great, especially with the times and the loss of Questor.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PhUjpb6a9ds" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Akbar was what I call a 'balance' attraction..it provided something extra to do in the A/C...I did enjoy the ride, although it was nowhere near Simpsons or Spiderman level...more like Wild Arctic at Sea World...

And @Stagefrenzy I remember a giant snake blowing air on you as well as the mummy in the ceiling..quite scary when I was little-er

Akbar was what I call a 'balance' attraction..it provided something extra to do in the A/C...I did enjoy the ride, although it was nowhere near Simpsons or Spiderman level...more like Wild Arctic at Sea World...

And @Stagefrenzy I remember a giant snake blowing air on you as well as the mummy in the ceiling..quite scary when I was little-er

I agree, it should have been the in-between from land of the dragons and the coasters. But it was too stupid/scary so it was a swing and miss, I feel like 97-01 was the thrill seeking era where everything had to be XXXXXXX-treme and they should have shot for the masses.

Questor and Akbar were the only real themed rides Busch Gardens ever had that were in a level that orlando parks might feature for theming/story. And they were indeed fun family thrill rides. I really enjoyed Akbar's Adventure Tours. There were a lot of gimmicks that made it a unique simulator.

The ride should of stayed or been replaced by something similar and more impressive. The family ride together offerings are slim or non existant at Busch Gardens Tampa. Part of the reason they have been hurting in comparison to other parks with similar budgeted additions.

Questor and Akbar were the only real themed rides Busch Gardens ever had that were in a level that orlando parks might feature for theming/story. And they were indeed fun family thrill rides. I really enjoyed Akbar's Adventure Tours. There were a lot of gimmicks that made it a unique simulator.

The ride should of stayed or been replaced by something similar and more impressive. The family ride together offerings are slim or non existant at Busch Gardens Tampa. Part of the reason they have been hurting in comparison to other parks with similar budgeted additions.

Which is another reason why BGW blows it out of the water.

BG has 2 sections devoted to kids. In fact I would argue it has just as much as other parks. It's just less spread out than other parks, as in Jungala and Sesame are confined to their own areas, being the only kid things.

Questor craps all over Akbar, from story to theme to execution just hands down much better than Akbar. I think Fade and I are the two Questor lovers here :lol: I had the chance to talk to Mark Rose about this during a tour of Cheetah Hunt while under construction. If I remember correctly the reason it was closed was due to guest feedback and operational costs. The actual hardware for the simulators is still in place and could be operational again within 48-72 hours.

BG has 2 sections devoted to kids. In fact I would argue it has just as much as other parks. It's just less spread out than other parks, as in Jungala and Sesame are confined to their own areas, being the only kid things.

There is that small kids section in timbuktu as well, the red baron planes and the other small kiddie rides. I used to love the spinner that is now by gwazi when it was by the bumper cars and you could raise and lower the arms.

- - - Updated - - -

Questor craps all over Akbar, from story to theme to execution just hands down much better than Akbar. I think Fade and I are the two Questor lovers here :lol: I had the chance to talk to Mark Rose about this during a tour of Cheetah Hunt while under construction. If I remember correctly the reason it was closed was due to guest feedback and operational costs. The actual hardware for the simulators is still in place and could be operational again within 48-72 hours.

I am another Questor Lover!

I would assume since it's been so long since the sim ran it might take longer... not to mention we're not sure how operational they are anymore... I heard parts of the sims were used elsewhere at other parks.

Hence why we don't see many dark rides at BGT

Shame I never in chance rode Questor. First trip was in 96 when Montu was new and popular. Did rode Akbars my 2nd trip which was ok.

I'm glad there's so much feedback here from you guys. Awesome stuff. :D

Having watched Questor's ride video before it was posted here, I have to admit that it shares a lot of similarities to Body Wars, in that the transitions don't make a whole lotta sense and are just there to keep you engaged. Not that that makes it a bad deal, I'd have loved to ride it back in the day, but by the first time I visited Busch Gardens Tampa, Ackbar's was up.

While I loved Questor back in the day, I don't think I want it resurrected to ruin any rose colored vision of the ride in my mind.