Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 24: Face Off (Scarezone)

Jan 22, 2008
Orlando, FL
HHN24-Key-Art-Face-Off-900x563.jpg

That’s right, fans—in just about nine weeks, Halloween Horror Nights will be back taking over the streets of Universal Studios Florida. And, tonight, as another sneak-peek at Halloween Horror Nights 24, we are revealing the first scare zone.

For six seasons now, you’ve seen the most talented up-and-coming makeup artists create gruesome and fantastical characters on Syfy’s hit television series Face Off. And now the most nightmarish creatures they have created will surround you in this year’s Face Off Scare Zone.

This new scare zone will feature ten different character creations inspired by the Syfy hit show, including a look designed by Season 5 Face Off winner, and Universal Orlando make-up artist, Laura Tyler.

The horrifying characters will inhabit five immersive areas within the scare zone, from eerie scarecrows that go to great lengths to protect a spine-chilling farmland to ghoulish brutes that haunt dilapidated castle ruins.

Not only will the scare zone showcase creations from past seasons, the winning look from Season 7, which premieres on Syfy on July 22, will be featured.

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/face-off-halloween-horror-nights-24/

Thoughts? Opinions? Predictions? All "Face Off" discussion goes here.

So we are getting 5 mini scare zones within one? That's actually pretty awesome, hopefully we can get some cool scenic areas like Hershel's barn or the Skool house from 2008 where it's like a mini maze. Granted I would've rather had an actual maze because it would've had some kind of hallow'd past vibe but hey that's what hollywood is for. Overall the one I was most skeptical about looks pretty great, thank god they didn't go the 7 route. I have one concern though, these actors are wearing literal pounds of make up so I bet their movement is limited and they might have to take more breaks. Could this be a cirque du freak style zone where you just kinda look at em? Questions questions

I think this will be a win for HHN. The show has actually built a following within the past couple of seasons and it would be interesting to see these creatures up close.

Think of how they did "The Clear" last year. I'm willing to bet it will be small platforms they roll out. Now if it's good or not...that's beyond me. As long as it's not empty feeling.

Think of how they did "The Clear" last year. I'm willing to bet it will be small platforms they roll out. Now if it's good or not...that's beyond me. As long as it's not empty feeling.
I'm honestly not expecting this zone to be scary per say more incredibly impressive eye candy. I don't think you could scare with that kind of make up on. Hopefully they have minions or something like that to keep it from being a photo op zone. So far this is my most anticipated thing of the event, I do like the show (although it's definitely scripted) and some of the things they've made in it are incredibly creepy. It'll fit right in and who knows? This could be a on going zone with new designs every year from the season before it

- - - Updated - - -

Some tweets from Mike Aiello:

10 for 5? That's 2 scare actors a section...whatever though it's not like they will be too far apart

Five environments in one reads as "a jumbled mismash instead of an immersive scarezone" to me...hopefully Im proven wrong, but this isnt what I expected when I first heard about a Face Off scarezone.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking it's 5 characters per cast but 10 overall.

Yeah I do like the minion idea. Cause I hate photo op in a zone cough*Deer*cough

Five environments in one reads as "a jumbled mismash instead of an immersive scarezone" to me...hopefully Im proven wrong, but this isnt what I expected when I first heard about a Face Off scarezone.

While this could be true, Hollywood is big enough where it may be a good thing.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking it's 5 characters per cast but 10 overall.

Yeah I do like the minion idea. Cause I hate photo op in a zone cough*Deer*cough

Well this was probably mixed up with 7 for a reason. It'll probably be the same deal. One badass design on a stage one minion on the bottom rinse and repeat 5x

I thought this too, but I'll give it a chance. Sounds more promising than everything they've announced so far, not as if that's saying much.

This sounds similar in logistics to 7 with a bunch of different stages with different theming... but while 7 had a clear thematic tie with the whole "deadly sings" thing, this just sounds like a mish mash. Also... 10 characters per cast? 7 had 21 per cast. They're gonna have to up the ante if they expect this to actually resemble a scare zone of any sort...

Not a fan of "Photo Op Street" either, but at least in 7 the minions found a way to work it to their advantage. Hoping this year the actors can do the same.

In any case, it's five mini-SZs, each with an original but iconic horror character. This sounds like a good idea any year, but makes me especially happy after 2012 and 2013.

I can't really blame A&D cause the parade really has been the major downfall of Hollywood blvd area. Sounds like each year there trying to find a idea that will work.

I did enjoy 7 very much. So I have somewhat high hopes for this.

I don't think it's going to be 10 on a cast. In 7 it was one main character and 2 minor. He specifically said 10 different characters. Which leaves it partially ambiguous. I'm thinking two minions, one main.