Volcano Bay: General Discussion | Page 78 | Inside Universal Forums

Volcano Bay: General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Right now, I'd buy a ticket to Typhoon Lagoon without a second thought over Volcano Bay

Not me. I've been slightly critical here and there about timelines and unfinished things- but I'm chomping at the bit to go. I'm going to TL in less than a month for a DVC after hours party- but I'm completely overlooking it for my Uni trip in Sept simply for VB. I can't freakin' wait.

Reactions: BottomsUp and Joel
I'm not saying this as much as a mod but more instead as somebody reading the thread: can we all cool our jets a bit? For some of you're acting as if Volcano Bay just assaulted your eyesight by installing temporary string lights and the alleged accusations toward certain creatives is really not cool.

This is starting to read like, for lack of a better term, a circlejerk of negativity that is never-ending. Discussion can't seem to occur because the hatred is so weirdly heated. We get it: the park's unfinished and has operational issues. Some of you are unimpressed with that which is finished. Most of you have stated this multiple times, but you have to let discussion happen and repeating the same arguments and bashing doesn't help anyone.

This ESPECIALLY goes towards the point that the park opened too early. Guess what? It's open. That's never going to be reversed. Move on, that's what Universal is doing. It's really annoying to have to see this dead horse of a point dragged out every single page. Nobody needs to be reminded of it. It accomplishes nothing!

Ok, that's my rant. I hope expansion is expediated asap.

Last edited:
Uh, the lighting is something brand new that doesn't look good at all. Temporary or not it's something that shouldn't be ignored just because it's yet another step in the wrong direction for Universal. I'm sorry you can't handle the criticism, may I suggest you stay the hell away from Trip Advisor too? It's even worse over there.

I've been fair to Universal and will be the first to let this board know when they make improvements that enhance Volcano Bay. String lights attached to PVC is about as sloppy as it gets.

Yelp and TripAdvisor are negative hotspots, plus it's a brand-new park in testing. It's not about "handling criticism", it's about regurgitating the same thing into submission without adding anything in return.

They're addressing operational issues reactively because of things like pathways not having enough lumens to satisfy OSHA. I get it. And while I can see how it comes across at regurgitation, honestly sometimes I feel the same way, it's to the park to make decisions that improve their situation.

While I hope the string lighting is temporary, the fact that they've added it inside cabanas and around the park does not bode well for future creative direction. Volcano Bay is starting to look like that eclectic backyard your crazy cat lady neighbor has with gnomes, angels, trinkets, windmills, and... string lights.

They're addressing operational issues reactively because of things like pathways not having enough lumens to satisfy OSHA. I get it. And while I can see how it comes across at regurgitation, honestly sometimes I feel the same way, it's to the park to make decisions that improve their situation.

While I hope the string lighting is temporary, the fact that they've added it inside cabanas and around the park does not bode well for future creative direction. Volcano Bay is starting to look like that eclectic backyard your crazy cat lady neighbor has with gnomes, angels, trinkets, windmills, and... string lights.

Hey now...back off the Garden Gnome hate...you're taking it a step too far. lol.

Not me. I've been slightly critical here and there about timelines and unfinished things- but I'm chomping at the bit to go. I'm going to TL in less than a month for a DVC after hours party- but I'm completely overlooking it for my Uni trip in Sept simply for VB. I can't freakin' wait.

To be fair I've decided I'm not going to any of the parks until next year. Budget is a bit tight at the moment. I was just saying, if I was in Orlando right now, and wanted to go to a water park, I'd probably go to Typhoon Lagoon instead.

Yelp and TripAdvisor are negative hotspots, plus it's a brand-new park in testing. It's not about "handling criticism", it's about regurgitating the same thing into submission without adding anything in return.

TripAdvisor doesn't tend to be overwhelming negative on Orlando attractions. Heck, even DHS gets mostly positive reviews.

I'm wondering how long it will be before there's a full day without multiple 1- or 2-star reviews for VB. And virtually all of the positive reviews are from people staying on site and getting in early.

Knowing that the park will get better is one thing, but Universal botched the park's opening month like nothing I've ever seen.

Edit: I realize it's not cost-effective to make changes to the advertising at this point, but I laughed when I was in Orlando last weekend and heard a VB radio commercial touting the "no waiting in lines."

Last edited:
I'm not saying this as much as a mod but more instead as somebody reading the thread: can we all cool our jets a bit? For some of you're acting as if Volcano Bay just assaulted your eyesight by installing temporary string lights and the alleged accusations toward certain creatives is really not cool.

This is starting to read like, for lack of a better term, a circlejerk of negativity that is never-ending. Discussion can't seem to occur because the hatred is so weirdly heated. We get it: the park's unfinished and has operational issues. Some of you are unimpressed with that which is finished. Most of you have stated this multiple times, but you have to let discussion happen and repeating the same arguments and bashing doesn't help anyone.

This ESPECIALLY goes towards the point that the park opened too early. Guess what? It's open. That's never going to be reversed. Move on, that's what Universal is doing. It's really annoying to have to see this dead horse of a point dragged out every single page. Nobody needs to be reminded of it. It accomplishes nothing!

Ok, that's my rant. I hope expansion is expediated asap.

So when a brand new picture with crappy looking lights get posted, no one should say a thing?
When a geyser gets posted that looks badass- we are allowed to gush over it?
Or are we to remain emotionless robots who only say news and no opinions.

Every other forum, something gets posted, people bash it or praise it. Why is it different here?

The lights suck. If a dozen posters want to mention it sucks, by all means- let's let them. Just like if a leak to Nintendo comes out we can have 4 pages of straight praise. Let's not have "circle jerk" talk just for the negative. If I wanted cupcakes and rainbows I'd stick to universals official blog. I appreciate all opinions here. Good and bad.

Knowing that the park will get better is one thing, but Universal botched the park's opening month like nothing I've ever seen.
As is tradition.

(Not to get too deep back into this discussion, but...)

I was there in 1990 for USF's first summer. Jaws was closed, Kongfrontation broke down all day, Earthquake and ET worked and I think that was about it. I remember being so upset that BttF wasn't going to open till the next year. Had a big countdown clock and everything. We were issued free passes when we left.

Islands of Adventure had the unfortunate misfortune of opening during the terrible "Universal Escape" re-branding fiasco. Also, the park opened without Storm Force or Flight of the Unicorn yet, and Seuss Trolley was not finished, so many complaints were that there wasn't enough for kids to do. It would take years for attendance to reach initial projections and was almost seen as a failure for the company, despite having such highly rated attractions.

I'm sure when/if Universal opens a fourth park on I-Drive it'll open with issues and complaints as well.

Growing pains. It'll get there.

(And yes, we can complain about it. That's part of the tradition. I'm not making excuses. Merely pointing out, sorry again, that this is actually the norm for the company, and I know they'll pull through and make it the amazing experience we all want it to be.)

Hey guys, Trip Advisor reviews for VB are terrible! Just wanted to point that out since it's only been mentioned 76 times today and someone might have missed it.....

I posted about TripAdvisor reviews after a moderator played down the negativity of VB's reviews. Maybe you should take it up with him.

TripAdvisor doesn't tend to be overwhelming negative on Orlando attractions. Heck, even DHS gets mostly positive reviews.

I'm wondering how long it will be before there's a full day without multiple 1- or 2-star reviews for VB. And virtually all of the positive reviews are from people staying on site and getting in early.

Edit: I realize it's not cost-effective to make changes to the advertising at this point, but I laughed when I was in Orlando last weekend and heard a VB radio commercial touting the "no waiting in lines."

Hey guys, Trip Advisor reviews for VB are terrible! Just wanted to point that out since it's only been mentioned 76 times today and someone might have missed it.....

On the same subject, the #1 attractions in both Florida and California according to Trip Advisor are UOR and UH, respectively. Saw it in a USA Today article that came out.. i'll try and find it and post as an edit

On the same subject, the #1 attractions in both Florida and California according to Trip Advisor are UOR and UH, respectively. Saw it in a USA Today article that came out.. i'll try and find it and post as an edit

And happily ever after is #1 for concerts/shows in Orlando. Quite impressive reviews for that. See TA is not all negative if the product is good :)

Reactions: P@n!K_Sw1tC#
Seems to me that the PR beating Uni continues to take on VB's issues is mostly self-inflicted. And Universal seems to be taking it rather quietly. Why not try to counter some of the bad press and reviews with an official acknowledgement that the place isnt quite finished yet but it will be soon? Why wouldnt they try to stop the bleeding just a little and maybe release some new concept art or make an announcement about what specific changes/improvements are on their way?

I think guests/fans/media might cut them some slack if they did. But maybe I am naive and people would freak our even more if Universal came clean about the fact that hey opened this place too soon.