Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Hello Kitty Expansion Rumors

This kind of came out of nowhere, so I'm assuming it was getting discussed in another thread that I missed. Could somebody please bring me up to speed?
Back I think a few weeks ago, @SeventyOne hinted towards a possible Hello Kitty project in development, with the indication that it would be near SNW. Today, @Disneyhead posted the picture you see now as the start of this thread, indicating that Hello Kitty may be one of the possibilities that could be if Simpsons is going in the future.

Forgive me if I live under a rock... is Hello Kitty popular? I know of the cute art style and characters but I have never heard of any actual show, movie, or other media. At least not enough to merit an amusement park land.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind it. It brings in a different crowd than what would already be there, and could act as a nice off-set to Super Nintendo World's environment.

It just depends on what type of attraction would be a focal point to me in regards to Hello Kitty.

I could support a Hello Kitty ride, but I wouldn't want a whole land based around it. It just isn't a big enough property. I would prefer a cartoon or anime land instead, with maybe a small Hello Kitty ride. If the Hello Kitty ride is a success, put it in park 3.

I could support a Hello Kitty ride, but I wouldn't want a whole land based around it. It just isn't a big enough property. I would prefer a cartoon or anime land instead, with maybe a small Hello Kitty ride. If the Hello Kitty ride is a success, put it in park 3.

Honestly, I would think HK does do quite well on a merch front, and that the charm of those characters could fit in rather well for young audiences. If you do it in gate 3, people will complain; if you do it at USF; people will complain.

It's honestly a bandaid that would get ripped off anyway at anytime. And to be honest, as much as I do love the film of Simpsons Ride, and that USH by far has the best Springfield out of the two, I don't have a solid connection with the IP. I would not mind Hello Kitty, as to me; I see it as a nice way of giving the park more variety. And to be honest, a mish-mash anime land; would not be acceptable either IMO.

Forgive me if I live under a rock... is Hello Kitty popular? I know of the cute art style and characters but I have never heard of any actual show, movie, or other media. At least not enough to merit an amusement park land.

It is the third top selling merch brand behind Disney Princesses and Batman.

Also, its big enough that airline companies decided licensing the IP and theming flights to it was a good idea.

EVA-HelloKit-Hand-in-Hand-Jet-runway_CourtesyEVAAIR.jpg

DOn't forget Hello Kitty Con

If you get to WDW notice the female Japanese guests. Most of them have something Minnie Mouse or Hello Kitty on. It is huge in Asia. She/it generates 7 billion a year for Sanrio.
Hello Kitty turns 40: how did she become so popular?| News | The Week UK

I really can't comprehend why they would do this. Hello Kitty's store is almost always completely empty from my experience, and now there's talks of it getting a full land replacing one of the most profitable areas in the resort that was JUST redone? I don't buy it at all.

The only way I could see it working is if Springfield is replaced by a Japan-themed area that just so happens to use Hello Kitty prominently. That would make thematic sense for Studios (next to other major cities like New York and London), would be a perfect fit aside SNW, and be a more sensible and potentially profitable replacement for Springfield. But Springfield being replaced by a full HK land? I don't buy it at all.

I really can't comprehend why they would do this. Hello Kitty's store is almost always completely empty from my experience, and now there's talks of it getting a full land replacing one of the most profitable areas in the resort that was JUST redone? I don't buy it at all.

The only way I could see it working is if Springfield is replaced by a Japan-themed area that just so happens to use Hello Kitty prominently. That would make thematic sense for Studios (next to other major cities like New York and London), would be a perfect fit aside SNW, and be a more sensible and potentially profitable replacement for Springfield. But Springfield being replaced by a full HK land? I don't buy it at all.
I think all of this is meant to be dated for when Simpsons contract expires. Not that it would be replaced before that date.

I'm not ok with Hello Kitty replacing Simpsons. Especially if it's just an overlay. I would expect a completely new ride system. Otherwise keep it Simpsons or make it something relevant. They tested this market with the gift shop smack dab in the front of the park. And that shop doesn't sell. There's no one ever in it and no one ever around it. It's a failure and should be regarded as such. If this does happen I will have given up all hope for Universal's decision makers.

It is the third top selling merch brand behind Disney Princesses and Batman.

Also, its big enough that airline companies decided licensing the IP and theming flights to it was a good idea.

DOn't forget Hello Kitty Con
So not only am I living under a rock, but the rock is huge :lol: I had no idea it was that big!

Could be a cool family IP, especially with a larger Tokyo/Japan area as others have suggested.

I'm not ok with Hello Kitty replacing Simpsons. Especially if it's just an overlay. I would expect a completely new ride system. Otherwise keep it Simpsons or make it something relevant. They tested this market with the gift shop smack dab in the front of the park. And that shop doesn't sell. There's no one ever in it and no one ever around it. It's a failure and should be regarded as such. If this does happen I will have given up all hope for Universal's decision makers.
Yeah, it's been emptier than Lucy was all the times I've been in the shop. I really can't see it ever replacing Springfield. Maybe it'll just a small attraction in one of the parks where there's a bit of space to squeeze it in. And, it seems if I recall correctly, Seventy One hinted it could be in that small plot that was adjacent to Donkey Kong and not accounted for yet.

I feel like a Tokyo area featuring 1-2 Hello Kitty flat rides, Japanese quick & table service restaurants, shops based off Japanese culture and media, and a Godzilla inverted dark ride would be an actually pretty decent replacement for Springfield and World Expo together. But Hello Kitty getting anything more than that would be a terrible call.