Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

City Works Eatery & Public House

Feb 15, 2012
eiuwyr4t8975842.jpg

Looking Ahead: City Works Eatery & Pour House Will Open at Disney Springs in 2019 | Disney Parks Blog

As a huge fan of craft beer and classic American food, I can’t wait for the new City Works Eatery & Pour House to open on the West Side next summer. The restaurant and bar will offer plenty of high-def TVs including a 165-inch screen, perfect for viewing your favorite live sporting events. (I have a feeling this will become my go-to spot for future football viewing – cue the college jerseys!)

Like the seven existing locations across the country, the Disney Springs space will offer 80 beers on tap including rare, limited supply, special tappings from local breweries and others from around the world. If barley and hops aren’t for you, a curated selection of popular wines will be available as well, ready to pair with bar bites, shareables, burgers and more.

Sounds great, a Yardhouse/Grill Brew like.

Why do I get the strange feeling that this may compete against NBA Experience for some reason..?

Love the logo, but I want to know more of how this will be handled.

I get the feeling that this actually IS the NBA Experience, minus the NBA branding. I just don’t know where on the west side anything else of this size would be built and open for next summer besides that location and it checks off seemingly all of the boxes described in that post.

I get the feeling that this actually IS the NBA Experience, minus the NBA branding. I just don’t know where on the west side anything else of this size would be built and open for next summer besides that location and it checks off seemingly all of the boxes described in that post.

Wouldn't that potentially mean then that..The NBA Experience fell through?

So, apparently, this is a part of the NBA complex, at least according to Magic. NBA is still happening, but maybe they had the same concerns about an all NBA centered location that some of us did?

Given that large square footage number in the release, I'm thinking its at least a large part of the building that is supposed to be the NBA thing, if not all of it, though I don't remember if the square footage of NBA was mentioned in that announcement. If it isn't all of the building, I have a sneaking suspicion that the NBA branded space will turn into a store plus some kind of small shooting court similar to like a golf swing simulator like you find at Dicks to try out drivers...if anything NBA branded happens at all now. I can't see whoever was behind the NBA concept wanting to compete with a general sports bar in the same building.

From the Disney Parks Blog:

Where in the West Side is it going? Is it replacing an existing venue?
-Steve on October 10, 2018 at 1:38 pm
  • Great question, Steve! City Works Eatery & Pour House will be located adjacent to the highly-anticipated NBA Experience. It’s a brand-new venue and is currently under construction on the West Side.
    -Darcy Clark (Disney Springs Marketing Manager) on October 10, 2018 at 2:33 pm

It definitely sounds like the full NBAX restaurant/sports bar is getting a more generic rebrand, while I suspect NBAX will still have quick-serve in the old Cheesecake Factory Express outlet upstairs. Which is actually fairly smart. City Works can capitalize on its location during the NBA playoffs, but not have to deal with "watch football at a basketball place???" come the Fall.

At this point I assume NBAX has an admission charge--I'm curious if platinum APs get in like DisneyQuest.

It definitely sounds like the full NBAX restaurant/sports bar is getting a more generic rebrand, while I suspect NBAX will still have quick-serve in the old Cheesecake Factory Express outlet upstairs. Which is actually fairly smart. City Works can capitalize on its location during the NBA playoffs, but not have to deal with "watch football at a basketball place???" come the Fall.

At this point I assume NBAX has an admission charge--I'm curious if platinum APs get in like DisneyQuest.

On the one hand, I think an admission charge would be an insanely bad idea, but on the other, I don't think Celtics jerseys with Mickey Mouse on them will pay the rent.

On the one hand, I think an admission charge would be an insanely bad idea, but on the other, I don't think Celtics jerseys with Mickey Mouse on them will pay the rent.

Keep in mind even tho it was a dump in its final years--stained carpet, over half the machines broken, third floor and snack bar abandoned--Quest kept charging $45 til the bitter end. But I suspect a lot of that was multi-day tickets--was an "extra" like water parks.

Also remember there will always be a market for (1) rainy day activities in the Summer and (2) Disney-adjacent activities for arrival day and "hotel pool day" that don't require a $105+ ticket. I could see a $25 cover working, just to make "free" admission with multiday tickets look like a deal.

Keep in mind even tho it was a dump in its final years--stained carpet, over half the machines broken, third floor and snack bar abandoned--Quest kept charging $45 til the bitter end. But I suspect a lot of that was multi-day tickets--was an "extra" like water parks.

Also remember there will always be a market for (1) rainy day activities in the Summer and (2) Disney-adjacent activities for arrival day and "hotel pool day" that don't require a $105+ ticket. I could see a $25 cover working, just to make "free" admission with multiday tickets look like a deal.

Yeah, fair. This will probably be a one and done for me, so it's not a huge deal.

For comparison, the cover to get into the NBA Hall of Fame is $24 for Adults and $16 for youth. The cover to get into the NCAA Football HOF in Atlanta (I think this place shares a lot in common with both) is $22 Adults and & $18 youth.

So your suggestion of $25 is pretty spot on. I could see them maybe going $5 higher since this is a much more touristy area.

For comparison, the cover to get into the NBA Hall of Fame is $24 for Adults and $16 for youth. The cover to get into the NCAA Football HOF in Atlanta (I think this place shares a lot in common with both) is $22 Adults and & $18 youth.

So your suggestion of $25 is pretty spot on. I could see them maybe going $5 higher since this is a much more touristy area.

Would you really put this on the level of a Hall of Fame?

Would you really put this on the level of a Hall of Fame?
No, since it obviously isn't a Hall of fame. But the activities that were announced are EXTREMELY similar to what the NBA HOF has. Take into account the high amount of tourists compared to rural Springfield, Massachusetts and I can see them charging around the same price, if not more.

No, since it obviously isn't a Hall of fame. But the activities that were announced are EXTREMELY similar to what the NBA HOF has. Take into account the high amount of tourists compared to rural Springfield, Massachusetts and I can see them charging around the same price, if not more.

I can dig that.