Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN 29: Ghostbusters

Comedy could be used in the house to accentuate scares. E.g. you walk into a room and are distracted by a Bill Murray looking scareactor doing a funny, only for Zuul or whatever to sneak up on the other side and give you a big scare.

Comedy could be used in the house to accentuate scares. E.g. you walk into a room and are distracted by a Bill Murray looking scareactor doing a funny, only for Zuul or whatever to sneak up on the other side and give you a big scare.

There's an excellent interview between Tarantino and Eli Roth on Shudder's podcast thing where they go into the divide between Comedy and Horror in the old Universal Abbott and Costello movies. He talks about how the monsters never broke character and became silly, and most of the comedy came from Abbott and Costello's antics - when the monsters killed a nurse in one of the movies, for example, it was played completely straight as a moment of horror.

I think that's the line for something like Ghostbusters - as long as the ghosts are scary and they don't try leaning too hard on comedy, it should be able to straddle the line.

There's an excellent interview between Tarantino and Eli Roth on Shudder's podcast thing where they go into the divide between Comedy and Horror in the old Universal Abbott and Costello movies. He talks about how the monsters never broke character and became silly, and most of the comedy came from Abbott and Costello's antics - when the monsters killed a nurse in one of the movies, for example, it was played completely straight as a moment of horror.

I think that's the line for something like Ghostbusters - as long as the ghosts are scary and they don't try leaning too hard on comedy, it should be able to straddle the line.

I think everyone on these boards needs to listen to that episode of the podcast. Listening to those two geek out over horror for two hours was fantastic.

Yes. Eli Roth's History of Horror: Uncut. They have the whole series on Spotify now, or if you have a Shudder subscription.

So I was talking to someone about this and I think it is fair and important to note this is a comedy with horror elements, like Shaun of the Dead, not a horror film with comedy elements. It's primarily physical and joke based comedy. People asking how that would be developed into a haunted house on the level of HHN is a good question to ask but kinda boring. We have tons of examples of that, like Poltergeist.

I think a lot of Brian/myselfs/others dismissing of the question is not because it's a bad one or worthy of discussing, it's because the goal of the question isn't to discuss the adaptation but instead of insinuate Horror Nights is becoming family friendly or gatekeeping the fandom. That isn't cool and should be shut down since it's not approaching either question honestly or faithfully.
Can we just applaud them for branching out a bit?

I love when they attempt something unique and apply it to the HHN formula.

The movie wasnt even THAT funny lol. Sometimes some people make it sound like a SNL sketch or like an adam sandler movie full of jokes .....

Most of the humor is the situations they find themselves in... Egon is always serious. The humor to me comes from his blunt and honest answers to things and lack of subtlety....
Winston never even says or does anything funny. he was the most regular character. Not even Ray did that many funny things.

Most of the humor, almost all of the humor comes from Venkman never taking their job and research seriously, his seducing of Dana and the humor comes from the receptionist Janine and from Louis Tully....

Sometimes people make this movie sound like ace ventura pet detective or something lol. If you focus only on the ghosts and only on the scientific research the guys did, as well as the Zuul plot, the movie is pretty scary. Take all the humor out and you still have a sci fi horror movie underneath.

The movie wasnt even THAT funny lol. Sometimes some people make it sound like a SNL sketch or like an adam sandler movie full of jokes .....

Implying Adam Sandler movies are funny.

(Ok, the "what you have just said" speech was pretty damn funny. But for the most part.)

Most of the humor is the situations they find themselves in... Egon is always serious. The humor to me comes from his blunt and honest answers to things and lack of subtlety....
Winston never even says or does anything funny. he was the most regular character. Not even Ray did that many funny things.

Most of the humor, almost all of the humor comes from Venkman never taking their job and research seriously, his seducing of Dana and the humor comes from the receptionist Janine and from Louis Tully....

Sometimes people make this movie sound like ace ventura pet detective or something lol. If you focus only on the ghosts and only on the scientific research the guys did, as well as the Zuul plot, the movie is pretty scary. Take all the humor out and you still have a sci fi horror movie underneath.
Us had way more slapstick

Hopefully they'll give us some details of what the house will look like but it's definitely going to take some of the comedic elements and put in some really scary scenes in it, it will not be the comedy horror house this year as Killer Klowns has already filled that slot, so this house will definitely lean toward what Poltergeist was sorta like last year, that's how I see it probably becoming.