Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

HHN Tips & Tricks

There is one new location this year that has a full bar and lets you get any mixed drink you want in the blinky cup. I'm not sure if they're just doing it wrong, so posting it here might contribute to its death, however, in the spirit of sharing: it's a little walk-up window on the far left side of Cafe La Bamba right before the start of the Vikings: Undead scarezone. There's also a great little secluded seating area back there - I've made a stop here every night so far!

CJmTdeI.jpg

EDIT to add: You get the discounted refills here too, but like previous years, you cannot get regular mixed drink refills at Finnegan's or Chez Alcatraz.
Wait What? No wonder the normal La Bamba has been empty. Thanks for the head up!

I'm guessing they start closing it up around 4. Our first year put us in a similar predicament - except it was our last day, and my husband just wanted a donut before we left. Alas, the barricades were up, and there were no donuts to be had.

That is a tragic story.

I feel like last year I was able to snag one as they were closing the doors... it was a close call, but I'm not sure what time it was exactly. I don't want to cut it that close again lol

My wife just sent me this from a Facebook group. She was confused by it, and so am I to be honest.

We are planning to do Springfield SnS, but this post made it sound very complicated. Can someone translate for us? I thought it was just go to the holding area, get scanned in, done. This sounds like there are two holding areas? One at taco truck, then the final one in Springfield/Moe's?

My wife just sent me this from a Facebook group. She was confused by it, and so am I to be honest.

We are planning to do Springfield SnS, but this post made it sound very complicated. Can someone translate for us? I thought it was just go to the holding area, get scanned in, done. This sounds like there are two holding areas? One at taco truck, then the final one in Springfield/Moe's?

It's all the same S&S in red, split into two sides and a path for normal day guests to pass.

Enter in yellow arrow.

blue double arrow is the crossing point between the two sides of the S&S, and that opens once they clear out fast food blvd.

sns.jpg

I'll do my best :D

They start setting up the Springfield Stay and Scream at 3:30. When they set up the stay and scream they put up a temporary fence which goes around Duff Gardens and the grassy area that is adjacent to the lagoon in Springfield. To enter this area you will have to present your HHN ticket to the ticket takers at the entrance to the fenced in area which is apparently by the bumblebee man taco truck. You could just go here between 4-5 and sit and wait to be released.

This poster though is suggesting going to Moes or FFB between 4-5 so you can wait in the AC. He is implying that around 4:55 they will kick everyone out of FFB and you will then enter the fenced in area by having your tickets scanned at the taco truck. They will do a sweep of a park and make sure all day guests are out... Then after the park is cleared they will open FFB back up to stay and screamers so you can go back in (implied usually at about 5:10) and get food or wait in the AC. Then at around 5:45 they will remove the fences and staff will direct you to whichever houses are open... Looks like Depths of Fear and House of 1K corpses. I believe Universal Monsters opens shortly after.

Does that make sense.

To stress, as long as you're in the park by like 4:50 pm, you'll get into Stay & Scream, even if you don't wander into the actual S&S area until after 5. Sounds like the original poster there is trying to maximize a/c time--which I sympathize with--but if you're ok being outside, there's no need to show up to Springfield at 3:30.

I'll do my best :D

They start setting up the Springfield Stay and Scream at 3:30. When they set up the stay and scream they put up a temporary fence which goes around Duff Gardens and the grassy area that is adjacent to the lagoon in Springfield. To enter this area you will have to present your HHN ticket to the ticket takers at the entrance to the fenced in area which is apparently by the bumblebee man taco truck. You could just go here between 4-5 and sit and wait to be released.

This poster though is suggesting going to Moes or FFB between 4-5 so you can wait in the AC. He is implying that around 4:55 they will kick everyone out of FFB and you will then enter the fenced in area by having your tickets scanned at the taco truck. They will do a sweep of a park and make sure all day guests are out... Then after the park is cleared they will open FFB back up to stay and screamers so you can go back in (implied usually at about 5:10) and get food or wait in the AC. Then at around 5:45 they will remove the fences and staff will direct you to whichever houses are open... Looks like Depths of Fear and House of 1K corpses. I believe Universal Monsters opens shortly after.

Does that make sense.

To stress, as long as you're in the park by like 4:50 pm, you'll get into Stay & Scream, even if you don't wander into the actual S&S area until after 5. Sounds like the original poster there is trying to maximize a/c time--which I sympathize with--but if you're ok being outside, there's no need to show up to Springfield at 3:30.

Thanks both, much clearer! We have timetabled to head to Springfield between 4-4.30 so I think our plan will remain unchanged.

If you're driving, for the foreseeable future I'd come up Turkey Lake and go in by Dr Phillips HS:
(1) The I-4 off-ramp to Universal Blvd has been a nightmare this year, despite reasonable crowds so far. I think the timing on the lights is off.
(2) This guarantees you'll be in the ET/CitH/Spidey garage. You don't want to try to leave from the other garage, they are repaving Major Blvd BLOCKING THE TWO TURN LANES TO KIRKMAN ON HHN NIGHTS. Epic fail on all parties involved (Universal, City of Orlando, Orange County).

If you're driving, for the foreseeable future I'd come up Turkey Lake and go in by Dr Phillips HS:
(1) The I-4 off-ramp to Universal Blvd has been a nightmare this year, despite reasonable crowds so far. I think the timing on the lights is off.
(2) This guarantees you'll be in the ET/CitH/Spidey garage. You don't want to try to leave from the other garage, they are repaving Major Blvd BLOCKING THE TWO TURN LANES TO KIRKMAN ON HHN NIGHTS. Epic fail on all parties involved (Universal, City of Orlando, Orange County).
What if you’re coming from Downtown / Winter Park?

17 years I’ve been coming to this place and I feel like I never know the parking “tricks” or “hints.”

17 years I’ve been coming to this place and I feel like I never know the parking “tricks” or “hints.”

Tough call, maybe put DPHS in your GPS, and just turn the other way? I'd do what I can to avoid that north garage until this work is done, tho. 30 minutes just to get to I-4 late last night.

Get off on Adventure Way, the exit that brings you in past Volcano Bay and all the hotels, and then make a right onto Hollywood Way. Then just keep right to take the dedicated entrance ramp for the South Garage.

Hey everyone, loooooong time reader and decided to finally register.

My wife and I are heading down for HHN for this Thursday. I think this is our 6th HHN. Anyways, our strategy is to be lined up early, we are usually 15-20 people back from the gate when we arrive and we head to the back of the park and can usually knock out those 5 houses within the first hour or so. Then head to the front.

This year I am considering buying this Scream Early ticket for $25 that allows us into the park starting at 3 and then we head to a S&S. We would probably head for Ghostbusters first and then follow our usual strategy of heading to the back and knocking out all those houses.

My question is about how early before the general public is allowed in do they release S&S? My worry is that we do S&A for Ghostbusters and the line is long enough that by the time we get out of the house we are behind the vast majority of people being let in from the front gate.

Thoughts? Thank you for the advice!

Does a map exist showing queue paths to and from each house? I assume they are likely the same as other years, but maybe some changes. My wife has arthritis, and we should have a pass, so we at least will use Express, but the days of Express skipping most of the walking seem to be over.

Some houses will be decided upon based on queue length. I really wish Uni would release more detailed entrance and exit queue paths for this purpose.

Hey everyone, loooooong time reader and decided to finally register.

My wife and I are heading down for HHN for this Thursday. I think this is our 6th HHN. Anyways, our strategy is to be lined up early, we are usually 15-20 people back from the gate when we arrive and we head to the back of the park and can usually knock out those 5 houses within the first hour or so. Then head to the front.

This year I am considering buying this Scream Early ticket for $25 that allows us into the park starting at 3 and then we head to a S&S. We would probably head for Ghostbusters first and then follow our usual strategy of heading to the back and knocking out all those houses.

My question is about how early before the general public is allowed in do they release S&S? My worry is that we do S&A for Ghostbusters and the line is long enough that by the time we get out of the house we are behind the vast majority of people being let in from the front gate.

Thoughts? Thank you for the advice!

S&S releases around 5:45 p.m. at Simpsons, 5:50 p.m. from the New York area, and if they're using Hello Kitty around 5:50 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. These times change, a lot, and depending on set up for scare zones. Houses might not open with S&S depending on technical issues. I've seen only one house open to all of them open. Even if the house isn't open they'll let you queue for it.

Does a map exist showing queue paths to and from each house? I assume they are likely the same as other years, but maybe some changes. My wife has arthritis, and we should have a pass, so we at least will use Express, but the days of Express skipping most of the walking seem to be over.

Some houses will be decided upon based on queue length. I really wish Uni would release more detailed entrance and exit queue paths for this purpose.

The shortest Express queues will be for the three tent houses. Longest will be Universal Monsters in the back parade building. Someone who's been to this years event can help diagram the queues better for you.

Have you considered a wheelchair for mobility? While they're not allowed in houses they'll place it at the exit for you. Also if you haven't purchased Express yet look into a GAC (guest accessibility card) for the arthritis.

Have you considered a wheelchair for mobility? While they're not allowed in houses they'll place it at the exit for you. Also if you haven't purchased Express yet look into a GAC (guest accessibility card) for the arthritis.
Is this a change? Wheel chairs were allowed in the past and houses are built to ADA compliance. In fact, it’s not uncommon for stage managers to remind scareactors to look out for wheelchairs in the houses (because they’re below line of sight).

Is this a change? Wheel chairs were allowed in the past and houses are built to ADA compliance. In fact, it’s not uncommon for stage managers to remind scareactors to look out for wheelchairs in the houses (because they’re below line of sight).

You're right, wheelchairs are allowed but not ECVs. Per the website.

"Motorized wheelchairs and electric convenience vehicles (ECVs) are not permitted in any queue, haunted house, or on any ride vehicle. If you have questions, please see any ride attendant or visit Guest Services."

Sorry for the error.

You're right, wheelchairs are allowed but not ECVs. Per the website.

"Motorized wheelchairs and electric convenience vehicles (ECVs) are not permitted in any queue, haunted house, or on any ride vehicle. If you have questions, please see any ride attendant or visit Guest Services."

Sorry for the error.

Really? This must be new because a couple of years ago I remember EVCs coming through. One lady on an EVC would hand out rubber duckies to the scareactors.

My dad uses an ecv due to bad knees and he transfers to a wheelchair for me to push through the queue. There is designated parking for ecv’s at all houses. This has saved us from a lot of issues/pain. If you aren’t doing the ecv between houses, I’d still recommend the wheelchairs they offer at the entrances to the queue. If you can walk through the houses okay, they’ll leave the wheelchairs at the exit to the house. Great option for those who have trouble walking long distances and the TMs all know the process very well.