Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 176 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loews:Bring back the Hotel Rewards program!!! That will help you get us out of state long term vacation tourists back.
Couldn’t agree more. Idk the ins and outs or DVC, and from what I know I don’t want that per say for Universal, but some type of “membership” other than an AP would be awesome, even if it’s just hotel related and unrelated to the theme parks

Not sure where to ask this but looking at bioreconstruct's twitter it seems that all three UOR theme parks were lit up last night (and probably have been since they closed) Any idea why this is? Surely it would be cheaper to turn all the lighting off

Not sure where to ask this but looking at bioreconstruct's twitter it seems that all three UOR theme parks were lit up last night (and probably have been since they closed) Any idea why this is? Surely it would be cheaper to turn all the lighting off

Probably just started recently. Have to go through all of the lighting and systems to get prepared for reopening.

Some themed lighting stays on because it’s attached to street lighting used by overnight crews and security. Special lighting gets turned off with show effects. When bio was up they were testing things though so looks like pretty much everything was on.

it’s wild walking around a theme park at night in complete silence but all the lighting on. So strange.

In my days as a Team Member, it was always strange to be one of the last ones leaving either from an event for us or standard closing. Jurassic Park in particular always felt more realistic in the dark :lol:
Closing Jaws and refueling the boats was some of the neatest memories at the parks for me. Being one of like only two people walking through Jaws in the middle of night, with nothing but the sound of crickets on your way out.

Reactions: SeventyOne
With many major cities potentially now not opening theaters until August, Mulan's opening is now in question and PVOD may now be back in play:

This is based on a single analyst. Many reputed analysts also claimed theme parks wouldn't reopen this year. In other words, he's speculating, albeit to an audience that invests.

This is based on a single analyst. Many reputed analysts also claimed theme parks wouldn't reopen this year. In other words, he's speculating, albeit to an audience that invests.
Fully understand that. I actually just made the theme parks/analyst point in another thread so I get it.

However, If San Fran, LA and NYC don't open, the opening of theaters in July is on shaky ground as those 3 cities make up 25% of the theater business.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Fully understand that. I actually just made the theme parks/analyst point in another thread so I get it.

However, If San Fran, LA and NYC don't open, the opening of theaters in July is on shaky ground as those 3 cities make up 25% of the theater business.

Agreed, and without starting a political discussion, it's worth pointing out that the recent unrest has thrown a major wrench into those city's reopening plans. It is indeed possible that that sort of delay could endanger the hopes of reopening cinemas the first week of July.

With that said, the Hollywood unions have come to an agreement on "white papers" on best/safe practices on restarting film/tv production and have delivered them to the New York and California governors. So there is a concerted movement within the industry to get things going again, parallel to the rest.

My biggest issue with them putting Mulan for sale is....I had Movie Pass then AMC A-list both under 25 bucks.....which is what ONE movie costs to rent at home. When I'm the one paying for how I stream it, the seats and the screen.

I feel Movie companies need to make a temporary A-list type servie to stream all new movies for like 30-40 bucks a month. Or something, I know families make out like Bandits with at home movies...but the kids are going to get you more money once they see your film....Ohh i liked that now I want a Mulan doll, will play with Disney Phone game etc.

Amc A list was through the movie theater chain not studios. It was cost effective for them, lots of members and not everyone sees 3 movies a week every week of the month (on average)

My biggest issue with them putting Mulan for sale is....I had Movie Pass then AMC A-list both under 25 bucks.....which is what ONE movie costs to rent at home. When I'm the one paying for how I stream it, the seats and the screen.

I feel Movie companies need to make a temporary A-list type servie to stream all new movies for like 30-40 bucks a month. Or something, I know families make out like Bandits with at home movies...but the kids are going to get you more money once they see your film....Ohh i liked that now I want a Mulan doll, will play with Disney Phone game etc.

Amc A list was through the movie theater chain not studios. It was cost effective for them, lots of members and not everyone sees 3 movies a week every week of the month (on average)
Thats why I said like it. I'm a big movie person, I buy Blue Rays, I see movies on Thursday Night and See Anime/Special movies that cost extra even see older movies that have come back.

to me its a joke that what a Dolby Ticket costs is what it would cost for me on my 40 inch TV. They need some sort of program where if I see Scoop, I can see Wonder Woman for cheaper or if I have HBO Max I can access the film on there for an extra cost.

Not surprising, but man its sad. VOD seems to be doing just fine for these companies honestly. While that model will never work for movies like Marvel, Star Wars, Tenet, any major budget film, those will be for theaters. The game has changed, its freaking sad. Movie theaters were like my main escape.

I'm not sure if AMC will be left standing after all is said and done (stupid amounts of debt it was barely getting by before all of this started), but just because there's the option to watch something at home doesn't mean theaters will go completely away. People have been able to cook at home for ages but restaurants are still a thing. It's an experience and night out that people can do so there will be some consumer demand at some level.

Reactions: Nick
Status
Not open for further replies.