Lower Lot Redesign | Page 59 | Inside Universal Forums

Lower Lot Redesign

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
In a way, I wonder how logistical they could do an Upwards Helix where the coaster launches onto the hillside, and travels alongside the Starway at certain elements. Make it as if you are running with the Raptors in the forests, and use foilage and sound barriers to block it off from the backlot for sound.

You may ask me, "Alex, what the heck is Upwards Helix?" and I'll tell you. It's essentially this, but low profile, in the hillside, dense jungle with raptor theming.

Reactions: Tristan and Freak
In a way, I wonder how logistical they could do an Upwards Helix where the coaster launches onto the hillside, and travels alongside the Starway at certain elements. Make it as if you are running with the Raptors in the forests, and use foilage and sound barriers to block it off from the backlot for sound.

You may ask me, "Alex, what the heck is Upwards Helix?" and I'll tell you. It's essentially this, but low profile, in the hillside, dense jungle with raptor theming.

I like the way you think. I have heard that the original plans for RotM were to have the car launch outside and have a loop go over the Starway. This was cut due to budget cuts, but being that this was talked about for Mummy, the fact that we have Hippogriff, and DK likely for the SNW expansion shows that they’re not opposed to the idea of an indoor coaster.

I think really think if the reception for VelociCoaster is big enough, it might coax USH into doing an alternate version of it that would go up the hill as Alex suggested. Look, I understand the park has noise restrictions and whatnot, but the park could use a little thrill, especially in Mummy’s absence. If they’re willing to butt up DK against the working sound stages, I don’t think they’re that concerned about noise. I remember taking a walk in the neighborhood right next to the good ‘ol golf course a while back and I could faintly hear the frog choir from all the way down there. I could also hear the escalator audio as clear as day as well! I know if they did this it would be a HUGE hit with the GP. USH will already have a fair amount of family rides. The park has the dark rides down, now they need some thrill.

Now it would be really ideal if they have the station and queue for USH VelociCoaster where the queue for Mummy is and have the rest of the coaster go up the hill. It would leave room for another dark ride for the rest of Mummy’s plot. I could see this as a possibilityas they have torn down astructure and left it blank to leave room for park expansion *coughcough* Stage 28.

Reactions: Jamesh22
A modified Velocicoaster wouldn't be a bad idea in the reality of Universal Studios Hollywood. Especially if they take the effort to limit the trains and track as much as possible. Considering how *quiet* Velocicoaster is for Orlando, it's definitely not out of the possibility range. Especially if the Studio Tour changes positions, they wouldn't need to be worried about intrusion on theming, and can redo the timeline drive as a means for on the way to the Backlot.

Reactions: Freak
Mummy must stay or your soul will be mine. Getting rid of the only coaster would hurt. I love that ride. But I know the writing is on the wall, just in hieroglyphics.

I would rather they get rid of transformers. I love the mummy ride all it needs is some touch ups especially the last scene.

I would rather they get rid of transformers. I love the mummy ride all it needs is some touch ups especially the last scene.
My issues with the mummy is when they only load one car...unless its a low day it should always be both cars getting loaded up and sent off not just one.

I just think they could make a new indoor Monsters ride that really blows people away...Mummy is fun but old and Transformers I see also just getting a facelift and not being destroy ever just rethemed.

Reactions: Squallheart
Trash Mummy, use half the land for a Velocicoaster-esque coaster, use the other half to make a "City Street" area with Transformers, Bourne, revamped restaurants, a new Studio Tour entrance, and a park for the SNW entrance, then bring Pokemon over to fill out a good portion of the remaining space. Monsters would be cool, but the land and main attraction is too similar to Harry Potter upstairs IMO. Yes, I know Pokemon is technically more Nintendo, but the IP is far beyond that at this point (and I don't see another gate for a while).

That's how I'd do it at least. And the Upper Lot needs some love too. Maybe bring over the Ministry of Magic ride somehow?

I like the way you think. I have heard that the original plans for RotM were to have the car launch outside and have a loop go over the Starway. This was cut due to budget cuts, but being that this was talked about for Mummy, the fact that we have Hippogriff, and DK likely for the SNW expansion shows that they’re not opposed to the idea of an indoor coaster.

Wow. Never heard that one.

I still think they could easily use that land to make a themed indoor version of Velocicoaster.

It obviously couldn’t be what it is in Orlando, but it doesn’t really have to be; just take the premise (or modify it) and the name and work within Hollywood’s limitations. Theme the interior like a jungle, throw in some static raptors here and there, a lighting package to make it look like we’re racing through the jungle by moonlight, similar to Owen’s motorcycle ride in the movie... It’d unify that whole landing at the bottom of the Starway without sacrificing the park’s only thrill coaster by replacing it with (what could be) a better one.

Shut up and take my money :exclap:

I LOVE the Mummy, but if we had this as a replacement I'd be happy as hell. They could easily enclose the whole first section of Velocicoaster and I'm sure they could get away with some kind of modified top hat up the hill.

Reactions: highdefrex
I'd be more in the mindset of this:

- Mummy and the adjacent soundstages next to Transformers and Mummy are torn down
- Half of the Mummy Plot is used for queue/station/maintenance bays for a modified terrain-based Velocicoaster that goes up and around the hillside. Canopies would be used to cover the Timeline Drive if they use that for the trams,
- Transformers is decked out with a new facade
- the area of the torn down soundstages is used for a new "Production Central" with classy architecture similar to Universal Blvd
- The new Studio Tour entrance is there, the tram maintenance barn moves over next to the backlot, next to the Picture Cars area
- The Bourne Stuntacular comes alongside the new Studio Tour entrance and plaza
- Soundstage 29 and 31 are earmarked for a new dark ride down the road

In hindsight, you don't need much to transform the area. What can be useful though, would be to make it blend in better with the surrounding area.

I'd be more in the mindset of this:

- Mummy and the adjacent soundstages next to Transformers and Mummy are torn down
- Half of the Mummy Plot is used for queue/station/maintenance bays for a modified terrain-based Velocicoaster that goes up and around the hillside. Canopies would be used to cover the Timeline Drive if they use that for the trams,
- Transformers is decked out with a new facade
- the area of the torn down soundstages is used for a new "Production Central" with classy architecture similar to Universal Blvd
- The new Studio Tour entrance is there, the tram maintenance barn moves over next to the backlot, next to the Picture Cars area
- The Bourne Stuntacular comes alongside the new Studio Tour entrance and plaza
- Soundstage 29 and 31 are earmarked for a new dark ride down the road

In hindsight, you don't need much to transform the area. What can be useful though, would be to make it blend in better with the surrounding area.
Love. This. Idea.

Only thing I would personally change is that I would probably put the dark ride where the other half of Mummy's plot is (I would like to see a Ghostbusters ride). Then I would have stages 33-36 (Right above RotM) be the space for a "Production Central"/New York mini land with Bourne Stuntacular and the entrance for the studio tour. Panda Express would be torn down to have a restaurant with indoor seating upstairs to have the facade of Transformers match the NY asthetic. Studio Tour loading would go in the stages above 33-36 and the lot adjacent to 29. 29 would remain for HHN.

But I love the idea of splitting Mummy for a loading/queue/maintenance for an uphill coaster and for a dark ride/another purpose. It appeases both parties who want to see RotM replaced with a new coaster or a big dark ride.

Y'all are missing the most important ride this park doesn't have: A drop tower! The park's weird layout and terrain would work great in the lower lot for something similar to ToT.

Love. This. Idea.

Only thing I would personally change is that I would probably put the dark ride where the other half of Mummy's plot is (I would like to see a Ghostbusters ride). Then I would have stages 33-36 (Right above RotM) be the space for a "Production Central"/New York mini land with Bourne Stuntacular and the entrance for the studio tour. Panda Express would be torn down to have a restaurant with indoor seating upstairs to have the facade of Transformers match the NY asthetic. Studio Tour loading would go in the stages above 33-36 and the lot adjacent to 29. 29 would remain for HHN.

But I love the idea of splitting Mummy for a loading/queue/maintenance for an uphill coaster and for a dark ride/another purpose. It appeases both parties who want to see RotM replaced with a new coaster or a big dark ride.

I'd argue there is sense to having SS31-29 saved for the sake of a dark ride. It makes sense logistically due it's placement, and you can have it to where Bourne and a modified Velocicoaster share the Mummy Plot, in a way that'd allow both to co-exist. And honestly, I'd tear down the entirety of the bathrooms, Lower Lot Studios Store, Panda Express and the Deli next to Transformers, for the sake of a mini-DK land. Have it jive well with the sake of Jurassic World right next door.

I think so we may not get a second gate but in next couple years we can possibly see double the attraction and a hotel

Essentially, think the Osaka approach. It may be a small park, but the amount of offerings catered for everyone would be absolutely stacked. Add in a hotel like The Park Hotel at USJ in-front of the main security that extends into Saddle Ranch, and I think you have some legitimately interesting options.

Just checked and the first half of Velocicoaster is approx 67K sq ft (if my google maps sums are correct)
Here is how this could fit into the current ROTM space, then go up and around the hillside.

OPTION 1:
Option 1.JPG

OPTION 2:
Option 2.JPG
Purple box is space already approved for theme park expansion