Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind - General Discussion

Theme park fans should want all the parks in Orlando to be as good as they can be.

I agree in full, but playing an extreme counter-position to my quoted post shows the folly in their argument. I don't want Disney to stop building rides, I don't want them to make their parks homogeneous, so when someone jumps in and goes "lol I'll just enjoy riding what they have already" argument i push back with "well they shouldn't build anything ever again".

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt it's going to take that long, but at this point, they better have a somewhat ambitious slate of announcements for D23 2022. You can't keep prattling on about how consumer spending is up at your parks without providing anything of tangible value to the consumer.

EDIT: Also, they should have just demolished the UOE building with how much trouble it's given them.

If Martin over on Magic is accurate, a revamped Universe of Energy was a competing concept alongside Cosmic Rewind. We obviously know which one won out.

He seemed to think, based on what he heard, that it was a pretty cool-sounding project for UOE.

I know that’s an especially tough pill to swallow because Guardians is so forced into the park as is…but I mean are original educational concepts really what people want anymore?

I dont go to the parks alone so I look at it this way—what’s an easier ask for a girlfriend/group of friends? Come with me to go on a ride about a movie you’ve all seen and liked? Or come with me to go on a family ride about energy?

I think instead of seeing Guardians as a flawed concept for Epcot, we have to start thinking of the concept of Epcot itself as being flawed, at least in terms of being an appealing tourist destination in 2021.

I think instead of seeing Guardians as a flawed concept for Epcot, we have to start thinking of the concept of Epcot itself as being flawed, at least in terms of being an appealing tourist destination in 2021.

Turning the park into a dumping ground for concepts Disney can't/won't fit into the other three WDW parks is not a recipe for solving its flaws, though.

I also reject the notion that the Imagineering -- if given the leeway -- is incapable of designing incredibly fun and appealing attractions that would be at home in a park based around the concepts present on Epcot's dedication plaque.

It says a little bit about how the company is run, but I was already expecting Spring 2023 for GotG. I've always figured since they have they're using the COVID excuse, they would want to open Rat this year, Tron in 2022, and GotG in 2023 and then they'd have some other projects starting up again by that point.

But man UoE closed in August of 2017, right around the same time as GMR. MMRR took 2.5 years to replace TGMR (which in and of itself is a long time) and has now been open for 1.5 years at this point. GotG will have been a 6 year build roughly if it opens in Summer 2023. SIX YEARS.

I've been off the boards for a while but after seeing the 2023 thing, I had to come see what people were thinking about all this. I'm not a 'Universal is best' guy. Nor do I have any hate for Disney, but this construction timeline is ridiculous. It is almost self parody at this point. Disney is charging more than ever, while eliminating perks and taking half a decade per new attraction. It's not sustainable.. or is it? I mean Disney is like a religion now and the masses are unquestioning so maybe they will get away with it? All I know is planning a trip there right now is almost impossible. I can't justify a thousand + dollars to maybe get the chance to ride something that isn't even new (a la Rise).

As for If GoG fits in Epcot? Probably not. But Epcot was never what it was intended to be anyways so I don't really care about that. I booked 1 day at Disney with my friends when we went to Orlando for Velocicoasters opening. I could only get us into Epcot. Went on 2 rides, and walked by seemingly unending construction mazes with surge prices. We rode Velocicoaster 3 times in one day.

I agree in full, but playing an extreme counter-position to my quoted post shows the folly in their argument. I don't want Disney to stop building rides, I don't want them to make their parks homogeneous, so when someone jumps in and goes "lol I'll just enjoy riding what they have already" argument i push back with "well they shouldn't build anything ever again".
Was this directed at me? All I said was that Ive finally accepted that Epcot has moved away from its original theme.

Disney’s glacier speed when it comes to construction is both infuriating and ridiculous, considering Walt built all of Disneyland in a year.

I also reject the notion that the Imagineering -- if given the leeway -- is incapable of designing incredibly fun and appealing attractions that would be at home in a park based around the concepts present on Epcot's dedication plaque.

I don’t doubt they can…I just doubt most people care.

In the 1980’s, a slow moving dark ride at Epcot had the potential to teach you something in a unique way that nobody else could. Just the fact that it had “Disney” on the name did all the heavy lifting in getting people to ride/care about them.

In 2021 where there’s more competition than ever for vacation dollars, a huge prevalence of “edutainment” and original art available for free on YouTube/other social media, and a transition in theme park technology toward more visceral thrill ride experiences, there’s just not a market for old Epcot rides anymore.

The media landscape is so much more saturated 40 years later that really, Disney’s strongest value proposition is in its IP catalogue. It sucks for those of us with nostalgia for the older, original, more thought-provoking rides, but it’s just the reality of the landscape we’re in now.

I don’t really get the thematic integrity argument. Epcot always felt like two different themes smashed together and connected by a body of water.
Thats because it was. Originally proposed as two separate projects - the Future World Theme Center, which was three large buildings which would serve as the gateway to all of WDW (Including a main parking area and WEDway/light rail connections throughout) and the Walt Disney World Showcase, two semi-circular structures to be located where the current Magic Kingdom parking is. FWTC was designed as a corporate-sponsored exploration of future tech which would have been (hold on to your seat) FREE admission. When it turned out there were more corporations lining up then countries they were mushed together - originally with WS in front and FW in back, then flipped.

It says a little bit about how the company is run, but I was already expecting Spring 2023 for GotG. I've always figured since they have they're using the COVID excuse, they would want to open Rat this year, Tron in 2022, and GotG in 2023 and then they'd have some other projects starting up again by that point.

But man UoE closed in August of 2017, right around the same time as GMR. MMRR took 2.5 years to replace TGMR (which in and of itself is a long time) and has now been open for 1.5 years at this point. GotG will have been a 6 year build roughly if it opens in Summer 2023. SIX YEARS.
DD was torn down, Hagrids was built and opened, JP land was cleared, Raptor Encounter moved three or four times, Velocicoaster was built, and opened since UoE closed.

There's no reason it shouldn't be open

I totally believe it's gonna be 23'. I like to put it in this perspective too for fun: This was announced when I was 13. I will be graduating high school when this comes out.

The PR spin in there is really something.

"Epcot's legacy is about real science!"

*builds an attraction about aliens and fictional galactic worlds*

But at least we're "deep in the final stages."

I'm not saying it shouldn't be open, i'm saying it doesn't surprise me coming from Disney anymore.

To be fair, it will have been a decade since the Nintendo deal by the time it finally comes to Orlando. I get that it's a whole new park being built so some forgiveness there, but it might be eight years by the time it opens in Hollywood.