Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Knott's Scary Farm 2021

Went on Sunday and felt like this the whole time.

giphy.gif

Are you saying it was crowded or that it just wasn’t worth it?
Crowds weren't an issue for me and it's a pretty cheap ticket all things considered, so it's always "worth it."

I was just kinda bored all night? I mean, I had fun but it's all just so familiar. Felt like I was sleepwalking at times. I've come to the conclusion that this event has just completely lost its appeal to me. I need to take at least a year off -- was gonna do it this year, but my curiosity got the better of me. (Which'll probably happen again next year lol.)

My wife and our friends mostly thought the same thing. We actually had some first-timers with us who were raving over everything, and I think that tells the whole story.

Yeah, with the large number of repeating mazes, I make it a point to do Knott's only every other year. For me, it much more enjoyable that way.

And FWIW, when I went to SF FF last Friday night, it felt fully staffed to me, with the exception of Vault 666.

Really, it's all just such a subjective element of timing, it could literally change multiple times throughout an evening at ANY haunt. I've experienced HHN mazes that were lacking scareactors, it can happen to anyone.

Agreed, actors were lacking at six flags in numbers and training this year, HHN cast was strong af imo, haven't done KSF but expecting good to great
At Least in the mazes they were on point in the mazes I went in.

Scarezones are more hit and miss but I find that is at all of these kinda events

Yeah, with the large number of repeating mazes, I make it a point to do Knott's only every other year. For me, it much more enjoyable that way.

And FWIW, when I went to SF FF last Friday night, it felt fully staffed to me, with the exception of Vault 666.

Really, it's all just such a subjective element of timing, it could literally change multiple times throughout an evening at ANY haunt. I've experienced HHN mazes that were lacking scareactors, it can happen to anyone.
Could have been no as staffed as when I went but It had way less people on week two, great if it improved but when I went it had wayyyyy less people that at Knotts

Yes, that's a good point. I'm hoping my experience with Knotts this year is better than mine was with HHN (which wouldn't be too difficult, given I went through Exorcist and Hill House and only saw, if I'm being generous, 4 actors each and none seemed to be very into their roles), but unfortunately there's a decent amount of the haunt experience that is up to timing and luck.

Did anyone go this last Saturday? I saw that it was sold out.
I actually did! Boy did it feel sold out.

I got there an hour and a half early and was able to be towards the front of the crowd at rope drop! Did Paranormal first then knocked out all of the backstage houses in an hour! Did Origins next which only took 30 min, took a detour on Bear-y Tales, then went into Mesmer. Waited over an hour for that as it was posted at two hours. Come 10:00 it was PACKED so I just waited until 1:00 for the lines to die down for Pumpkin and Dark Ride.

I just waited in line to do Sierra Sidewinder at 12:15 since it’s been a hot minute since I’ve been on a coaster at home. Before I got on, the line for Pumpkin Eater went all through Camp Snoopy. When I got off Sierra, Pumpkin and Dark Ride were practically walk ins! I could’ve done Dark Ride but skipped it as I just felt like going home. Lines were bad as I waited 20 min for a double shot of espresso at the coffee stand in Gore-ing 20’s.

You can still do all of the mazes if you get there early and prioritize them. Even on a sold out night! The crowds got really annoying around 9. If you’re willing to stay up, the crowds almost disappear completely close to 1. You can hammer out last minute run throughs and maybe a ride or two if you’re up for it! I personally wasn’t so I just left at 1:30.

Also, I got a much better run through of everything except for Mesmer. I think Mesmer is cool but it’s just not scary. I think it’s one of the weaker new mazes Knotts has done recently. I will say I got the best run through of Dark Entities I ever had!

I enjoyed going two nights to KSF but I think that’s going to do it for me this year. Hopefully we’ll have two new mazes this year that emphasize scares more.

Just double checking, you are allowed to take photos in the mazes at Knott’s so long as their is no flash photography. Right?
In the past they have been on your case about no photography at all, but this year, ive been doing photos and there's been no problem. Most people don't care even though on the website it does say you can't do any photos or videos in the mazes no matter what, I've been able to get away with it this year, but do so at your own risk.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Knott’s operations person enforce a single rule — pretty sure you could set up a professional camera with multiple lenses on a tripod and they wouldn’t say anything.

One time in 2011 or 2012, a monster SCREAMED at me for taking video without light, saying they didn't care there was no flash and to put it away. They got in my face like they would fight me (it was a woman, too) and waited for it to be turned off and all the way in my pocket before leaving me alone, then followed me to make sure I didn't continue. It was a total immersion breaker and in one of my favorite mazes (Cornstalkers). Granted, that was 10 years ago.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Knott’s operations person enforce a single rule — pretty sure you could set up a professional camera with multiple lenses on a tripod and they wouldn’t say anything.

It's hit or miss depending on the person. Like you, I have never really seen anyone enforce it. Personally I've never had an issue snapping a photo or filming with my phone.

hey so surprise trip to california for work so I can do this event. Would the fast lane be worth it this friday night or would doing the buffet for early entry be a better value with a plan? What order is best to do the houses in?

hey so surprise trip to california for work so I can do this event. Would the fast lane be worth it this friday night or would doing the buffet for early entry be a better value with a plan? What order is best to do the houses in?
As a SoCaler, I’ve been going to KSF every year since 2009 and I never once bought the fright lane. The night you are going is going to be pretty packed, but if you mainly care about the houses, you can definitely knock everything out, even if you’re going for GA and go on a sold out night! Strategically, the best option is always to come early and go for the houses in the backstage area by Ghostrider and do Paranormal first, Wax Works, then do the last two.

Now I’ve never done prescare (I want to some day!) but for another $45, you get all you can eat food, one complementary alcoholic drink, and EARLY ENTRY to the four backstage houses! They’re the ones you want to do first anyway. I’m pretty sure they operate an hour before rope drop (7PM) so by the time you knock ‘em all out, you can make your way to the back! Do Origins, Mesmer, then Dark Ride. By the time the lines will start to grow, you should only have two houses left to knock out and you should be done with houses by 8:30! From then on, you can chose to watch a show, wait in line for a coaster, or revisit your favorite house....with a line of course.

Gun to my head, if you were to ask me “Prescare or Fright Lane”, I’d go for the prescare. You get a LOT of good food and you get an hour head start on half of the houses! That sounds like an excellent value to me. If you care far more about wanting to be able to cram in the coasters as well, then Fright Lane. But I would seriously consider prescare.

Oh and don’t miss the Log Ride! Sadly, they no longer have scareactors on the ride during the event, but it’s a great overlay for an already great flume ride!

Hope this was helpful! Have fun!

• Love
Reactions: DTH
As a SoCaler, I’ve been going to KSF every year since 2009 and I never once bought the fright lane. The night you are going is going to be pretty packed, but if you mainly care about the houses, you can definitely knock everything out, even if you’re going for GA and go on a sold out night! Strategically, the best option is always to come early and go for the houses in the backstage area by Ghostrider and do Paranormal first, Wax Works, then do the last two.

Now I’ve never done prescare (I want to some day!) but for another $45, you get all you can eat food, one complementary alcoholic drink, and EARLY ENTRY to the four backstage houses! They’re the ones you want to do first anyway. I’m pretty sure they operate an hour before rope drop (7PM) so by the time you knock ‘em all out, you can make your way to the back! Do Origins, Mesmer, then Dark Ride. By the time the lines will start to grow, you should only have two houses left to knock out and you should be done with houses by 8:30! From then on, you can chose to watch a show, wait in line for a coaster, or revisit your favorite house....with a line of course.

Gun to my head, if you were to ask me “Prescare or Fright Lane”, I’d go for the prescare. You get a LOT of good food and you get an hour head start on half of the houses! That sounds like an excellent value to me. If you care far more about wanting to be able to cram in the coasters as well, then Fright Lane. But I would seriously consider prescare.

Oh and don’t miss the Log Ride! Sadly, they no longer have scareactors on the ride during the event, but it’s a great overlay for an already great flume ride!

Hope this was helpful! Have fun!
Thanks for the info. I went to Knotts in july (bad experience due to lack of line enforcement and no response from the park) and have a platinum pass this year. But my experience from universal orlando express is it is not worth it to buy express when you do early entry because the walking is too much for one night. I think I can pin the buffet on work if I only do that meal for the day since i will be on site friday. Is it a true hour over main gate guests getting entry? I looks like those houses by ghost rider are the ones most guests might head to first anyways in which case the value is good.

Also I booked a hotel in walking distance so no problem staying until the end of the event.

Thanks for the info. I went to Knotts in july (bad experience due to lack of line enforcement and no response from the park) and have a platinum pass this year. But my experience from universal orlando express is it is not worth it to buy express when you do early entry because the walking is too much for one night. I think I can pin the buffet on work if I only do that meal for the day since i will be on site friday. Is it a true hour over main gate guests getting entry? I looks like those houses by ghost rider are the ones most guests might head to first anyways in which case the value is good.

Also I booked a hotel in walking distance so no problem staying until the end of the event.
Again, I've never done prescare so I can't attest if it's a true hour before the event begins. I do know you get a headstart on the four backstage houses. Either way, you should be at least mostly done with them by the time rope drop hits.

Again, I've never done prescare so I can't attest if it's a true hour before the event begins. I do know you get a headstart on the four backstage houses. Either way, you should be at least mostly done with them by the time rope drop hits.
thanks if I can book it to the other houses to knock out a least one and do rides/shows middle of the night I think this is doable.

thanks if I can book it to the other houses to knock out a least one and do rides/shows middle of the night I think this is doable.
Bonus info: You're going on Friday which means they're open 'till 2. If you're willing to buy a shot of espresso and stay up, lines start to die off around 1. By then you can do repeat trips through the houses with little to no wait or jump in a smaller line for a ride. If you really wan to do Ghostrider at night, the most ideal time would be 1:50. Otherwise, don't bother with Ghostrider. That ride gets slammed the entire night.