Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser | Page 68 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
You add a pool, you’re adding something that those participating in the larping theater elements, as intended, will feel they missed out on.

It is what is, and that’s fine, but as long as it’s promoted correctly, I don’t think anyone that actually goes to it will be too upset it doesn’t have a pool.

Every single piece of media about this place refers to it, early and often, as a hotel. That’s the challenge. People going to any hotel in Florida have certain expectations that this place does not meet.
There are people on other forums I've seen going "wow just thought this was a themed hotel" angle.

That's fair enough, but I still feel like that's an issue of marketing more than logistics. A pool doesn't make sense here, and guest should be able to tell that before they come.

I don't have much of a horse in this race but I really don't understand some people's fixation on this place adding a pool. It's just not that kind of experience. This isn't really a hotel as much as a longterm theatre experience with a basic room included. If you want to go to a pool in Orlando, you are drowning in other options. Literally every other Disney Hotel has like 2-4 pools and most offsite hotels have them as well. Catering to a group of people who aren't willing to look into the experience that they're paying over $6000 for just seems silly. If you spend that much and don't realize the event you signed up for, that's entirely on you. It's some "Where's Harry Potter Land???" while at Epcot type behavior.

As a criticism, it’s pretty reach-y. What percentage of theme park hotel guests even use the pool? Not enough to worry about a significant number of disappointed customers over it.

I fully reject the concept this is "the next frontier" for several reasons. Emotionally, a high-priced experience that is limited to those who can afford a five to six-figure experience shuts out me, my friends, and my family from something we love. I hate the idea of this being the future.

But from an intellectual perspective I also reject it because this just seems another way Disney tries to find another angle that isn't building more rides and shows:

Respectfully, I think this post is somewhat off base and the argument is under-cooked…

1. In the late 2000s, the thought was that optimization of theme parks would be the future. Then Disney spent well over $1bn on Magic Bands, MyMagicPlus, and more. It wasn't the future. All that technology is deprecated now not even a decade later.
How is it depracated? RFID is everywhere now in the industry. Universal has a project number assigned to implementing some of the features into their parks…you saw the seeds planted with TapuTapu and will continue to see features rolled out on their app.

2. During this time Universal stepped up their game and created the Wizarding World. While we take it for granted now, the level of attraction/land/merch/food & bev design and cooperation was unheard of.

Definitely! Not sure how that’s relevant though.

3. Disny spent years pivoting to the new themed entertainment model, spending billions more than they needed to if they had just spent that NexGen money on attractions.
Not seeing how this came at the expense of new rides. In the past five years Disney has kept up with UO’s pace of one new attraction per year and you could argue they had an edge in quality over that time when factoring in that three of these additions were full multi-ride lands going up against Bourne, Fallon, and F&F…

4. Disney gets sold on an immersive theater experience and thinks its the solution to their expensive lands and experiences.

This reads like an overly emotional take on the situation. Neither is mutually exclusive (see above); Disney has always had exclusive upcharge options that stood above the baseline experience starting with Club 33–these haven’t prevented further investment into the regular daytime experience.

5. Universal is developing new tech, attractions, and shows for a new park.
Are the majority of proposed rides not either retreads of existing tech (Scoop, Kuka, etc.) or off the shelf rides (splash battle, coaster, etc.). Mario Kart will be innovative I guess but it’s already been met with relatively lukewarm reception.

From the sound of it those promoting this concept thing this is the "holy grail" of themed entertainment - it's not, it's a neat addition for theater kids and fans. But the bread and butter of theme parks still stands, rides and shows.
I don’t necessarily disagree with this but to dismiss the experience because it isn’t a new “holy grail” is, again, disingenuous. Like I said before, an objective parks fan should be able to step back and recognize there’s potential here to start building off of to make some neat stuff with other IPs…but it’ll have to be successful first.

I don't have much of a horse in this race but I really don't understand some people's fixation on this place adding a pool. It's just not that kind of experience. This isn't really a hotel as much as a longterm theatre experience with a basic room included. If you want to go to a pool in Orlando, you are drowning in other options. Literally every other Disney Hotel has like 2-4 pools and most offsite hotels have them as well. Catering to a group of people who aren't willing to look into the experience that they're paying over $6000 for just seems silly. If you spend that much and don't realize the event you signed up for, that's entirely on you. It's some "Where's Harry Potter Land???" while at Epcot type behavior.
Fair point! Lol

That is high praise.

Also, can we talk about how expensive this thing is with DVC points? My god. As if it couldn't get worse...

2 nights in a Riviera 2-bedroom villa that holds 9 people in December cost me 100 DVC points.

2 nights on the Starcruiser for my b-day in mid-August for 2 people would cost me 650 DVC points.

Can’t wait for the next Disney dish.
His analysis is always great.

To be fair, if I was getting to write the trip as a business expense, I'd consider doing the dance too. All of the footage I've seen has made the cast seem really great.

That is high praise.

Also, can we talk about how expensive this thing is with DVC points? My god. As if it couldn't get worse...

2 nights in a Riviera 2-bedroom villa that holds 9 people in December cost me 100 DVC points.

2 nights on the Starcruiser for my b-day in mid-August for 2 people would cost me 650 DVC points.

Super expensive. But I think you do have to remind yourself you’re not booking a normal resort stay.

So are you wanting just a two night hotel stay? Or a two night all inclusive (minus alcohol) theatre experience?

It's great to hear that he loves it, but it wouldn't sound so odd if it wasn't coming just days after Len was leading the charge in criticizing the people who stayed on Disney's dime.

It's great to hear that he loves it, but it wouldn't sound so odd if it wasn't coming just days after Len was leading the charge in criticizing the people who stayed on Disney's dime.

I mean, it’s not a full review and his original points still stand. He did pay for this himself.

I mean, it’s not a full review and his original points still stand. He did pay for this himself.
I much prefer hearing from someone who paid themselves of course (as long as he didn't just write the costs off as a business expense like suggested above, which he very well may have done). But he still came to the same conclusion as most of the people he criticized as being shills.

I much prefer hearing from someone who paid themselves of course (as long as he didn't just write the costs off as a business expense like suggested above, which he very well may have done). But he still came to the same conclusion as most of the people he criticized as being shills.

True. But if he didn’t like it/wrote a negative review, people would be claiming he had made up his mind ahead of time and didn’t give it a fair shake. He was kind of stuck either way.

Reactions: SeventyOne