State of USH - What's Next? | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

State of USH - What's Next?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Pokemon may be raking in money as an IP, but Fast and Furious, whether you like it or not, is a billion-dollar franchise that's still going strong after two decades. Of course Universal is going to prioritize representing their own IP in their own park. You may find it a boring IP, but... clearly the world doesn't think so, otherwise the films wouldn't be so popular and Universal wouldn't be trying to fix their Supercharged mistake by giving the property better ride representation. F&F is a goldmine IP.
Universal has had 2 failed attractions using th F&F franchise. Are we sure we can trust them with a third?

Pokemon may be raking in money as an IP, but Fast and Furious, whether you like it or not, is a billion-dollar franchise that's still going strong after two decades. Of course Universal is going to prioritize representing their own IP in their own park. You may find it a boring IP, but... clearly the world doesn't think so, otherwise the films wouldn't be so popular and Universal wouldn't be trying to fix their Supercharged mistake by giving the property better ride representation. F&F is a goldmine IP.
Just because people watch these doesn't make them good

Pokemon only has like a few good movies and like a season of ok TV, but as a game ride/raid its a million times more exciting then a Coaster....I'm sure it will be fun but Nintendoland opened me up to the fact we can have new and unique attractions. Maybe I find the games/raid boring but I bet I enjoy them

It might be a gold mine for movies but not for merch, Pokemon is the biggest single IP EVER. FF is an ant compared to what Pokemon ranks in. I get it they want to push their own IP but if Pokemon isn't in all the parks within ten years then the people running theme parks should be fired. Pokemon will make them more money/crowds more money means more they can spend in theme parks to improve them

Everyone here is playing checkers when I'm playing Chess, we want the best money making IPs int he park or else we will have to slow down and get wayyyy less added to the parks. Which is why if I was running this theme park Potter and Pokemon, you want increased profits, unique rides and interative lands those are what to focus on

But if you want a coaster you can drive to six flags/Disneyland/DCA/Sea World/Lego land/Knotts to ride....sure lets get that because clearly new kinda attractions with amazing new tech that are fully themed are the worst rides....I mean everyone love's Space mountain more then Pirates and ROTR.

Universal has had 2 failed attractions using th F&F franchise. Are we sure we can trust them with a third?
Creative is on quite a roll right now, especially with coasters, and at least this attraction could at least be a good coaster even if the IP usage is meh. I'm hopeful

Just because people watch these doesn't make them good

Pokemon only has like a few good movies and like a season of ok TV, but as a game ride/raid its a million times more exciting then a Coaster....I'm sure it will be fun but Nintendoland opened me up to the fact we can have new and unique attractions. Maybe I find the games/raid boring but I bet I enjoy them

It might be a gold mine for movies but not for merch, Pokemon is the biggest single IP EVER. FF is an ant compared to what Pokemon ranks in. I get it they want to push their own IP but if Pokemon isn't in all the parks within ten years then the people running theme parks should be fired. Pokemon will make them more money/crowds more money means more they can spend in theme parks to improve them

Everyone here is playing checkers when I'm playing Chess, we want the best money making IPs int he park or else we will have to slow down and get wayyyy less added to the parks. Which is why if I was running this theme park Potter and Pokemon, you want increased profits, unique rides and interative lands those are what to focus on

But if you want a coaster you can drive to six flags/Disneyland/DCA/Sea World/Lego land/Knotts to ride....sure lets get that because clearly new kinda attractions with amazing new tech that are fully themed are the worst rides....I mean everyone love's Space mountain more then Pirates and ROTR.

Just a reminder - Chess is the long game.

I'd consider it in the attraction it is, more than the IP of it's nature.

Intamin hasn't missed with Unviersal following Hagrid and Velocicoaster. Assuming this is a controlled spinning coaster from them, that can be much more octaned on the level of thrill, while matching the F&F IP with themed vehicles to look like cars, I genuinely think it can be a massive hit.

__

Gonna also argue on something: Just because one thing happens, another can't. As @Nico says, chess is a long game and I do genuinely think Pokémon is going to be at USH...but I think it's the 2028 project. Considering SNW was supposed to of been lined with Tokyo 2020, doing Pokémon with LA2028 feels very sensical to me.

Just a reminder - Chess is the long game.
Agreed

Which is my point, you get Pokemon in now and you get years of making millions more....slowing raising the budget of the theme park over years.

F&F is the CEO making a quick buck...here is a big IP and will draw people....yes but will it keep people in your park longer? Is their something you can buy that people will want to interact with the land or area around said attraction? How much Merch are you selling because of this new ride? How many people love this IP, I know the movies do well but does that equal people coming into your parks because Super Charge didn't do much for either park (and yes this coaster im sure will draw people but as much as Nintendo Pokemon IP or Harry Potter?)

Once again think many people are thinking short term gains and are just looking at how these films do vs what other Ips work better for the parks. I would really like someone to name what merch would sell? T shirt from FF but once again more then Pokemon or Potter?

Anyway I'll drop it unless people really think FF and Bourne are really IPs that are going to push USH to get more APs coming more often, have more normal tickets sold and which merch/restaurants will get you more money.

Agreed

Which is my point, you get Pokemon in now and you get years of making millions more....slowing raising the budget of the theme park over years.

F&F is the CEO making a quick buck...here is a big IP and will draw people....yes but will it keep people in your park longer? Is their something you can buy that people will want to interact with the land or area around said attraction? How much Merch are you selling because of this new ride? How many people love this IP, I know the movies do well but does that equal people coming into your parks because Super Charge didn't do much for either park (and yes this coaster im sure will draw people but as much as Nintendo Pokemon IP or Harry Potter?)

Once again think many people are thinking short term gains and are just looking at how these films do vs what other Ips work better for the parks. I would really like someone to name what merch would sell? T shirt from FF but once again more then Pokemon or Potter?

Anyway I'll drop it unless people really think FF and Bourne are really IPs that are going to push USH to get more APs coming more often, have more normal tickets sold and which merch/restaurants will get you more money.
i think on a long term scale the park would draw more APs/locals if it had a good, well-sized, coaster than having Pokemon. Merch and restaurants is a different issue, but also remember that a park as small as USH needs a lot of variety in each addition to catch a wider audience. I don't think multiple Nintendo additions in a row would be a good idea tbh

Reactions: chris.g and Nico
i think on a long term scale the park would draw more APs/locals if it had a good, well-sized, coaster than having Pokemon. Merch and restaurants is a different issue, but also remember that a park as small as USH needs a lot of variety in each addition to catch a wider audience. I don't think multiple Nintendo additions in a row would be a good idea tbh
Looks at DK coaster

Yeah too bad, we can't get a fully themed coaster with an IP tied to a Universal movie

Potter is the biggest boost that USH has seen in years...and it has no big coasters. I think people on this forums really and i mean really just like coasters and ignore the times E ticket dark rides have boost parks much more then something going fast along with the fact that coaster have age limits both for kids and older adults.

Pokemon makes about 4 billion a year...F&F has made 6.9 Billion life time and has yet to have an ride that makes people enter the park.
So basically its Universal high ups wanting to not share profits and wanting to promote their over focusing on a much bigger IP that will make them millions more a year....leading to more development to USH

Whether it's an F&F coaster or a Pokemon land, I guess I just don't care what IP we get so long as we get an awesome ride/experience, and I don't see the point in arguing back and forth on a topic that's been beaten to death in other threads before this one as if any one of us is any more right than the others on a matter of opinion. I'm sure Universal is weighing all the options for what they think would be best for the park, so if they decide they want it to be F&F, so be it; if they want it to be Pokemon, so be it; if they want to do something completely different, so be it--at the end of the day, the quality of the ride, land, whatever is going to matter the most, and I'll be happy with whatever it is, regardless of the IP, so long as it's awesome and fresh for the park, because I personally couldn't care less about buying a F&F shirt or Pokemon merch anyway.

Looks at DK coaster

Yeah too bad, we can't get a fully themed coaster with an IP tied to a Universal movie

Potter is the biggest boost that USH has seen in years...and it has no big coasters. I think people on this forums really and i mean really just like coasters and ignore the times E ticket dark rides have boost parks much more then something going fast along with the fact that coaster have age limits both for kids and older adults.

Pokemon makes about 4 billion a year...F&F has made 6.9 Billion life time and has yet to have an ride that makes people enter the park.
So basically its Universal high ups wanting to not share profits and wanting to promote their over focusing on a much bigger IP that will make them millions more a year....leading to more development to USH

1. Literally nothing is confirmed.
2. We have no idea what the timeline is.
3. The park needs varying rides to feel balanced.
4. Your entire issue is about money. This is Comcast, they can spend more if they wanted to. This isn’t 2008 Universal when Harry Potter was make or break.
5. This is not the long game. Considering park needs, building new stages, demolishing old stages, and building new lands/rides is long game.
6. I’m sorry that this rumor isn’t exciting for you.

Looks at DK coaster

Ah, I think we found what you're disappointed with. It sounds like you're unhappy that a massive amount of space is likely to be committed to a themed coaster when you prefer more dark rides.

Look, I understand you want more dark rides in the park. I would love to see more dark rides added to USH as well, but being that they added Transformers, FJ, SLoP, JW, and now Mario Kart....I think USH is well off with dark rides for right now.

So what coasters does USH have? Hippogriff, the worst version of the Mummy......that's it. The park desperately needs a thrill coaster and with the overwhelming success of Hagrid's and Velocicoaster, I think it's more than time for USH to have its due for a proper thrill coaster. I personally think it's the best decision to focus more on coasters right now.

Also, I think we'll get DK eventually. They'll add more dark rides eventually. Patience. It's all about balance.

As a local who lives near USH and doesn’t like to have a bunch of pricey AP’s, it would be super nice for USH to have a real coaster. I also associate Universal parks with having solid coasters so I genuinely don’t care the IP it’s tied to, FF makes sense and I hope it lives up to be as camp as the movies.

Reactions: Freak and Nico
Looks at DK coaster

Yes, no doubt this site's contributors are high thrill coaster oriented. So comments here are generally biased towards thrill coasters, and may be a bit off target of what type of attractions are needed to balance a theme park for the general public. Universal and Disney aren't Six Flags or Cedar Fair, which are essentially 'coaster parks'. The problem with high thrill coasters is that they seriously limit the percentage of Universal or Disney guests that can , or will, ride them. Example: I regard Velocicoaster as an excellent attraction, but it's lines rarely are more than 45 to 55 minutes long, which isn't really that long for a brand new ride in a park that's been consistently crowded for the past year. Balance is really important to a major theme park. You can't have all your new rides the type that only teenagers and twenty somethings will ride....If it's going to be a type of coaster, better to have it like Guardians at Epcot than Maverick at Cedar Point, for the sake of a Universal or Disney guest demographic. The Disney & Universal guest demographic is much different that the guest demographic at the 'coaster parks'.

Reactions: Freak
Yes, no doubt this site's contributors are high thrill coaster oriented. So comments here are generally biased towards thrill coasters, and may be a bit off target of what type of attractions are needed to balance a theme park for the general public. Universal and Disney aren't Six Flags or Cedar Fair, which are essentially 'coaster parks'. The problem with high thrill coasters is that they seriously limit the percentage of Universal or Disney guests that can , or will, ride them. Example: I regard Velocicoaster as an excellent attraction, but it's lines rarely are more than 45 to 55 minutes long, which isn't really that long for a brand new ride in a park that's been consistently crowded for the past year. Balance is really important to a major theme park. You can't have all your new rides the type that only teenagers and twenty somethings will ride....If it's going to be a type of coaster, better to have it like Guardians at Epcot than Maverick at Cedar Point, for the sake of a Universal or Disney guest demographic. The Disney & Universal guest demographic is much different that the guest demographic at the 'coaster parks'.
I just knew what I was growing up if you wanted thrills you went to six flags and then DCA/Knotts. People pretending like one coaster is going to draw those people in have clearly never gone to the Justice League ride at Six Flags....its great but no lines? Why because Six Flags isnt a dark ride theme park.

To me you stick with what makes you, you. In Universal Case its now highly themed area's and semi thrill rides. Also space, like this coaster will take up maybe up space that could be three rides....for one coaster. And I'd take a Pokemon interactive ride, Zelda trackless ride and DK coaster over it in a heart beat.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I just knew what I was growing up if you wanted thrills you went to six flags and then DCA/Knotts. People pretending like one coaster is going to draw those people in have clearly never gone to the Justice League ride at Six Flags....its great but no lines? Why because Six Flags isnt a dark ride theme park.

To me you stick with what makes you, you. In Universal Case its now highly themed area's and semi thrill rides. Also space, like this coaster will take up maybe up space that could be three rides....for one coaster. And I'd take a Pokemon interactive ride, Zelda trackless ride and DK coaster over it in a heart beat.

Let's argue though if it goes to Castle Theater and Animal Actors, then using the hillside around that, Jurassic, and Mummy.

What space are you losing? Not to mention, you are directly aiming the coaster at an area that is radically being positioned to be changed once the soundstages around there go down. That also leaves The Simpsons Ride to then be used for another Pets level indoor attraction. Liseberg has done exactly this in the terms of what the coaster could embody, as seen with their endeavor of Helix, the Mack-Rides Multi-launch LSM coaster.

This would be a perfect fit over at Castle/AA. And depending on how they space it, there could still be space for something else in that area, depending on how creative they'd redo that section of grading.

I just knew what I was growing up if you wanted thrills you went to six flags and then DCA/Knotts.

To me you stick with what makes you, you. In Universal Case its now highly themed area's and semi thrill rides.

For Hollywood that is, if you are/were familiar with Universal Orlando first, you see Universal as Disney with a dash of Busch Gardens, the not lame Disney. Each Universal park around the globe does have at least one decently sized coaster, it seems like FF will be similarly thrilled to Hagrids which is perfect for a large demographic while still being fun enough for people who like things like VC or Hulk. I think we could have this coaster and the things you mentioned.

Let's argue though if it goes to Castle Theater and Animal Actors, then using the hillside around that, Jurassic, and Mummy.

What space are you losing? Not to mention, you are directly aiming the coaster at an area that is radically being positioned to be changed once the soundstages around there go down. That also leaves The Simpsons Ride to then be used for another Pets level indoor attraction. Liseberg has done exactly this in the terms of what the coaster could embody, as seen with their endeavor of Helix, the Mack-Rides Multi-launch LSM coaster.

This would be a perfect fit over at Castle/AA. And depending on how they space it, there could still be space for something else in that area, depending on how creative they'd redo that section of grading.

For the most part yes, that is all it would be used for

We have to see how they are going to make this coaster but with limited space...I don't get why people want short high trills coaster vs....a themed one like DK that is mild thrills and uses the land much more effectively. If they can somehow make a big coaster on that hill work and only take out those two old shows then I can get down with that but with the Bourne show rumors....I dont know how these all fit but if somehow they can have both then cool. Not for me and I'd focus on other IPs wayyyy before these two but can at least live with prime land not going away and maybe one day seeing a Zelda ride similar to mystic manor, Pokemon interactive ride/land and hopefully more Potter.