Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Villain-Con Minion Blast (General Discussion)

The leaked concept art that was on twitter not too long ago did indeed show the Transformers building as a solid blue color. Thought maybe it was just them omitting unnecessary details, but looks like it might be accurate now.
I believe that the art has faint clouds and "ILLUMINATION" in large letters across the top.

If they repaint the Transformers building another color but not the ugly Production Central soundstages it will be a travesty

I'm waiting on the finished product to make any judgements

For all we know this could be a base coaster for a Transformers building repaint lol

If they repaint the Transformers building another color but not the ugly Production Central soundstages it will be a travesty

I'm waiting on the finished product to make any judgements

For all we know this could be a base coaster for a Transformers building repaint lol
All they had to do was to put a Gru logo on the Minion facing side to make it look like a lab lol

I’m have a theory the blue is staying within the boundaries that are currently painted. That would leave the left side of the wall with transformers theming. Both would line up with the corresponding resturaunt framing and the exterior queue of transformers. I’m honestly not sure if that’s stranger or not.

Alicia’s video starting at 1:52 shows the blue through the scrim. You can see how it would frame the restaurant like Hollywood in that angle.

And I thought this was just going to be a cheap Band-Aid attraction.
It is, and that’s why the blue paint is a bit annoying. The Minions/ Despicable Me franchise, perhaps more then any other IP Uni controls, is ideally suited for and financially warrants a dedicated, custom-built theme park land (and a great, AA-filled dark ride). Uni is going with half-measures - screen rides and massive, unthemed sound stages. Fine, it’s a valid choice, they’re building a huge new park up the road. But if they’ve decided on half-measures, to turn around and partially de-theme a themed building is a bit grating.

Uni’s treatment of Minions is just… weird. It feels a bit like (non-Florida) Disney and the MCU.

It is, and that’s why the blue paint is a bit annoying. The Minions/ Despicable Me franchise, perhaps more then any other IP Uni controls, is ideally suited for and financially warrants a dedicated, custom-built theme park land (and a great, AA-filled dark ride). Uni is going with half-measures - screen rides and massive, unthemed sound stages. Fine, it’s a valid choice, they’re building a huge new park up the road. But if they’ve decided on half-measures, to turn around and partially de-theme a themed building is a bit grating.

Uni’s treatment of Minions is just… weird. It feels a bit like (non-Florida) Disney and the MCU.
and....WDW treatment of Frozen's unexpected popularity and the resultant shows and attractions at DHS & Epcot

So in a few years when Minions have played out or have been usurped by a more popular IP comes along they're stuck with a bunch of Minions stuff? I think what they're doing is fine. So many modern/current IPs are hot one minute and forgotten the next. I expect that to become an even shorter window with streaming.

It used to be a "big" movie or show would really become ingrained in kids because they would watch the DVD over and over and over and over. Now, everything comes and goes. Sure, there are a few new cultural phenomena, and a few things become "evergreen", but the fragmented media landscape is meaning less and less group/cultural experiences and more individual things that a just blips on the radar.

and....WDW treatment of Frozen's unexpected popularity and the resultant shows and attractions at DHS & Epcot
That’s the comp my brain was going to as well. I think it’s a symptom of today’s theme park audiences expecting more visceral and tech-heavy experiences from their signature attractions, which don’t really mesh with kid-oriented/non-action franchises. Probably what led to the over-engineering and subsequent cancellation of the Mary Poppins ride.

So in a few years when Minions have played out or have been usurped by a more popular IP comes along they're stuck with a bunch of Minions stuff? I think what they're doing is fine. So many modern/current IPs are hot one minute and forgotten the next. I expect that to become an even shorter window with streaming.

It used to be a "big" movie or show would really become ingrained in kids because they would watch the DVD over and over and over and over. Now, everything comes and goes. Sure, there are a few new cultural phenomena, and a few things become "evergreen", but the fragmented media landscape is meaning less and less group/cultural experiences and more individual things that a just blips on the radar.

Okay, so How to Train Your Dragon at Epic is what then? lol