Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

TEA Theme Park Attendance Reports Thread

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
TEA Report. A bit late this year. As always, with TEA, take their figures with a grain of salt, but they're the best we have. Of course, their figures are estimates in most cases.
*MK....................20.96 million ........ Up 0.5%
*Disneyland.......18.66.......................Flat
*AK.....................13,88.......................Up 1.0 %
*Epcot.................12.44.....................Flat
*DHS...................11.48......................Up 2.0 %
*USF....................10.92......................Up 2.0 %
*IOA.....................10.37......................Up 6.0%
*DCA...................9.89........................Flat
* Universal Hollywood 9.14...............Flat

Some international results:
Disneyland Japan.........17.91 million...........Flat
Disney Sea.....................14.65......................Flat
Chimelong China...........11.73......................Up 8.4%
Disney Paris...................9.74........................Down 1.0%
HK Ocean Park...............5.7.........................Down 1.7%
Hong Kong Disney.........5.65........................Down 15.0%
Shanghai Disney.............11.21.....................Down 5.0%
Universal Japan..............14.5.......................Up 1.4%

Those figures are kind of like ancient history now, due to covid....and it looks like Hagrid's coaster had the biggest positive effect on attendance.

Last edited:
Disneyland flat and DHS only up 2% seems to indicate that Galaxy's edge opening hadn't really moved the needle. That being said SWGE opened in the parks incomplete.

On the flip side, IOA up 6% so perhaps Hagrid's had an solid impact.

On a local (for me) note, Canada's Wonderland up 4% (2nd highest gain in NA next to IOA)

Disneyland flat and DHS only up 2% seems to indicate that Galaxy's edge opening hadn't really moved the needle. That being said SWGE opened in the parks incomplete.

On the flip side, IOA up 6% so perhaps Hagrid's had an solid impact.

On a local (for me) note, Canada's Wonderland up 4% (2nd highest gain in NA next to IOA)
I love that park. I went there back in the 80's when everything was relatively new. Reminded me of a MK with thrill rides.

Canada's Wonderland has a disjointed history with changing ownership From original owners, to Paramount and now finally with Cedar Fair.

While always having solid thrill rides and great coasters, It was Cedar Fair's purchase and subsequent heavy investment in new world class hyper and giga coasters (Behemoth in 2008, Leviathan in 2012, and Yukon Striker in 2019) that has really pushed it up into a world class thrill amusement park. It now sits in 2nd place (with Cedar Point) for the most coasters in the world with 17.

Annual reminder... these are barely better then wild guesses that get skewed for political (don't know a better word to use) reasons.

Example 1: Gap between DL and DCA isn't that big, but muh castle park.

Annual reminder... these are barely better then wild guesses that get skewed for political (don't know a better word to use) reasons.

Example 1: Gap between DL and DCA isn't that big, but muh castle park.
yes. That's why I put the disclaimer in my post.....Though a very few are actuals. I recall reading elsewhere that the company that owns the Disney Japan parks actually report their yearly attendance.

Disneyland makes sense it was flat because Disney begged you not to come to the park...but in Florida that must such spending all that money and not many people coming in.
Along with being closed...I wonder if after all current plans at the park if we see years of only smaller things added for a while. Like whats the point in spending close to a billion dollars on lands that are going to barley move the needle?

Disneyland makes sense it was flat because Disney begged you not to come to the park...but in Florida that must such spending all that money and not many people coming in.
Along with being closed...I wonder if after all current plans at the park if we see years of only smaller things added for a while. Like whats the point in spending close to a billion dollars on lands that are going to barley move the needle?

Galaxy's Edge I think is too hard to judge yet.

HS version only opened during one of the slowest periods of the year (Sept through end of year before Christmas/New Years peak). It's opening had a lot going against it (people's assumption it would be rammed so they waited, it opening without it's featured attraction also probably prompting many to wait). And now there is the pandemic devastation.

I don't think Disney will be spending a billion on anything for a long long time.

To add....Volcano Bay was estimated at 1,811,000 million, a 5% attendance increase, putting it slightly behind Blizzard Beach 1,983,000 & Typhoon Lagoon 2,248,000 at WDW. Aquatica 1,533,000 was fourth with a small decrease in estimated attendance................. @Disneyhead ,.Niles on TPI is saying Disneyland's numbers was saved by a very strong Oct./Nov./ Dec. quarter, after being down in attendance until that time.

Last edited:
I just read this part in the report that I found humorous:

"Universal Studios Florida continues to benefit from the Fast and the Furious franchise as well as more onsite capacity with the Aventura hotel added in 2018. " :eek:O:
Yeah, I caught that too when I read the report, and laughed. Nothing like a writer, assigned to write a story outside of their expertise, that doesn't know what they are writing about. Happens all the time, even with the big newspapers. :lol:

Galaxy's Edge I think is too hard to judge yet.

HS version only opened during one of the slowest periods of the year (Sept through end of year before Christmas/New Years peak). It's opening had a lot going against it (people's assumption it would be rammed so they waited, it opening without it's featured attraction also probably prompting many to wait). And now there is the pandemic devastation.

I don't think Disney will be spending a billion on anything for a long long time.
Which means most likley that rumored Avenger E Ticket is ether going to get major buget cuts or not happen for a while at DCA. That ride has to be way over 500 million from the looks of the artwork

I agree but it's just such a different world now, back int he 90 or even early 2000s you have a new land for Star Wars and it should be packed every day.

TEA Report. A bit late this year. As always, with TEA, take their figures with a grain of salt, but they're the best we have. Of course, their figures are estimates in most cases.

Those figures are kind of like ancient history now, due to covid....and it looks like Hagrid's coaster had the biggest positive effect on attendance.

Chimelong is actually the park that had the biggest positivity change. Which is kind of incredible for a zoo-park.

Chimelong is actually the park that had the biggest positivity change. Which is kind of incredible for a zoo-park.
from TEA; Chimelong turned the normally slow month of December into an attendance booster with a special promotion allowing free admission to any child
under 5 ft. tall. And it opened a new 6,700 seat theater with a circus type show.

Poor Epcot, it must be hard being fat AND ugly

What are USF's chances of taking the #1 spot in the USA for 2020?
Probably slim i'd imagine, even though UOR was open an entire month longer than WDW. The reason I say that is because that month that it was open before WDW, crowds were *extremely* thin and mostly locals anyway. There wasn't really any specific draw to USF aside from Bourne (and that wasn't even advertised much). Since locals were much of the traffic, I feel like IOA would probably win out of the two Universal parks, but MK just has a much higher capacity and a more rabid fanbase of people excited not only to be there pre-pandemic, but post-pandemic once things were opening again.

I get USF had HHN-Lite, but this was very sparsely attended (a normal day for HHN when the park is only open until 5 instead of 7 like 2020 would've been MUCH busier - probably close to double the crowds + Mardi Gras only ran for less than a month) so I just don't see how USF in a realistic sense would've beat out MK or IOA.

Probably slim i'd imagine, even though UOR was open an entire month longer than WDW. The reason I say that is because that month that it was open before WDW, crowds were *extremely* thin and mostly locals anyway. There wasn't really any specific draw to USF aside from Bourne (and that wasn't even advertised much). Since locals were much of the traffic, I feel like IOA would probably win out of the two Universal parks, but MK just has a much higher capacity and a more rabid fanbase of people excited not only to be there pre-pandemic, but post-pandemic once things were opening again.

I get USF had HHN-Lite, but this was very sparsely attended (a normal day for HHN when the park is only open until 5 instead of 7 like 2020 would've been MUCH busier - probably close to double the crowds + Mardi Gras only ran for less than a month) so I just don't see how USF in a realistic sense would've beat out MK or IOA.

I dont know, even after Disney opened up they continued on with the reservation system that, from what I can tell, was severely limiting attendance up until the last few weeks or so. Meanwhile, as early as July 2020 the Universal parks were PACKED, and at this point even post-distancing measures lines are healthier than I’ve personally seen in a while. I think they got a shot, unless having both parks open for park-hopping the whole time contributed to the two parks cannibalizing each other (while Disney is sticking to one per day still).