Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2028 Summer Olympics

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Mod edit: please note that the following information has yet to be officially verified

The IOC has officially announced, that Los Angeles CA will be receiving the 2024 Summer Olympics, in light of a deal that gives Paris the 2028 Summer Olympics.

The IOC will award LA in September.

There will be massive implications to this for tourism, so I'll leave it here.

What do you think? What could we see from the Giants that are UPR and WDPR? Comment below!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is big news for Universal Hollywood. They had announced plans to build new broadcast facilities there if the Olympics came back to LA.

With Nintendo opening in Japan for the 2020 olympics and it turns out to be a great joint success, you have to wonder what Hollywood would be planning to try and get the same success.

Great to see this will push USH to build more attractions. I'm worried though that they will use this as an excuse to bump SNW waaaay back to that time instead of building new attractions. Seven years will be WAY too long of a wait.

This would mean MUCH for for USH than a new ride or two for the park. Considering the fact that USH is literally hosting the international media for 3 weeks. This means we'll be getting Hotels, CityWalk expansions, more hotels, new production facilities. The resort as a whole will change. It'll be HUGE and in my opinion, legitimately opens the case for a 2nd gate.

Expect construction all around Universal to ramp up. They said they'll be building the world broadcast center at Universal for this.

Expect construction all around Universal to ramp up. They said they'll be building the world broadcast center at Universal for this.

Yep.

To think about it, those extra soundstages would've been build regardless of the year. And that I am betting that more are going to be constructed than what was originally said, not only for the Olympics but also to ensure that the studio has more than enough soundstages ready before and after the Olympics due to the changes coming to the Lower Lot.

I'm assuming both USH and DLR will have new attractions and dining coming for 2028. Disney Tokyo is going for new attractuions for 2020, it will be interesting to see if anything else is announced for Paris 2024.

On the down side, in 1984, DLR attendance was down for the LA Summer Olympics as everyone left town!

On the plus side in London 2012 tourist attractions and the West End were worried about lower crowds, but in the end had a bumper year.

They may not particularly do anything for the Olympics. In 1984 Disneyland and the other SoCal parks all had attendance drops due to the Olympics. Most people only do one thing or the other and the locals flee the craziness.

They may not particularly do anything for the Olympics. In 1984 Disneyland and the other SoCal parks all had attendance drops due to the Olympics. Most people only do one thing or the other and the locals flee the craziness.
Yeah I mentioned that in my post.

But on the other hand, in 2012, London had a great year for tourism

That was an age before social media. People didn't show up expecting the place to be a madhouse. I have a strong feeling that Disney and Universal will be closely watching Tokyo.