Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

A bunch of flys/gnats at Hollywood Studios?

May 17, 2012
River Country
Today I only went to Downtown Disney and one park, (Hollywood Studios) so I'm not sure if this occurred at any other park recently. But besides the park being really packed today, I had a problem with these pesky little bugs that seemed to be everywhere. I seen them flying all around the park and I also seen them on other guest's clothes. From entering the gates of Hollywood Studios in the morning, to getting back to my car in the afternoon these bugs were flying around! :lol:. But when I went to Downtown Disney I didn't see any bugs. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yeah, we are coming up on "Love Bug Season".

Yeah, that is what I first thought of or midges, they are annoying seasonal bugs too, but we don't have either around our house yet.

Both of them travel in clouds though, you normally never see them by themselves.

It does seem that DHS has a more annoying amount of bugs (both midges and love bugs), but I'm not sure why. It may have something to do with how trash is handled at that park and where the main dumpsters are located, or it may be related to the kinds of plants horticulture uses in certain areas. Or it may be for some completely random "natural" reason. Those would be my guesses, though.

Yeah, they are called "Love Bugs" because they are often flying hooked together mating. They are really really attracted to combustion engines: Chain saws, weed wackers, cars, diesel engines. Not sure if it is the carbon monoxide or something else, but if you have ten around you and you start an engine, you will have one hundred.

florida-lovebugs.jpg

I've lived in Florida for most of my life and deal with Love Bugs every time they come around. The bugs I saw were definitely not Love Bugs. They may have been Midges but I'm not entirely sure :shrug:

I've lived in Florida for most of my life and deal with Love Bugs every time they come around. The bugs I saw were definitely not Love Bugs. They may have been Midges but I'm not entirely sure :shrug:

Midges are small little annoying bugs that don't bite, but travel in butches. Here is a picture of them.

06midge.flyingspan.jpg

P6300003%20Midges.jpg

We get them bad in our neighborhood and there really is nothing you can do to get rid of them. They are annoying little creatures that you can reduce them with chemicals, fish in the ponds, etc. But once you have them it is almost impossible to get rid of them all together.

These bugs have nothing to do with trash, they like water and plants.

Last edited:
Yeah, we usually have the same problem around this time at my college. Harmless, but annoying as hell. Luckily, they don't have a long life-span so they usually go away after a few weeks.

Nothing is worse than those little green catapillers we had awhile back, I thought it was the apocalypse, they were falling out of the trees like rain around here.

Yeah, it was definitely midges that my friends and I experienced this past weekend. We were sitting by the bushes near the hat and they kept landing all over us. Very annoying.