Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

A new Back to the Future ride?

Aug 15, 2017
Hill Valley
With Kong having returned to Universal Orlando as a new ride, does anyone think that Back to the Future will ever be reimagined and brought back as a new experience, I’m thinking an attraction in a similar vane to Dinosaur and Indiana jones , but plussed in a similar way to how forbidden journey revolutionised dark rides. Imagine a Trackless Delorean dark ride (with flying portions).

I can imagine some people would argue Kong is a more mainstream IP hence Universal’s decision to bring it back. However I’d disagree, I would say Back to the Future is one of the most popular film franchises in the world. In my opinion Kong is kind of played out probably due to the fact they release a new one every 5+ years. I say all this even though Back to the Future will likely never been rebooted or remade until Zemeckis is dead.

What do you guys think the likelihood is of them reusing the IP but also, What sort of ride would you imagine it to be?

do you want Back to the future getting a remake?
Because thats the only way it would get a new ride, if they remade the movies. think about that

Although there is always going to be a big BTTF fanbase, there is a slim-to-none chance we will see a new ride. As Teebin said, it would require a new film, but Zemeckis said that he wouldn't let that happen. So if they made a new movie, it would probably be without any of the original cast (including writers). It would probably not be received well. And they know that. There will probably not be any new movie, thus no ride.

BTTF and JAWS were great, but everyone is viewing them with Horizon eyes most of the time...It was time to move forward

Although, I will always feel like they could have done more with Simpsons
Yeah Simpson’s 100% should have been an AA dark ride with the Simpsons car as the vehicle. Those AAs couldn’t have been that hard.

I don't understand why people want Simpsons AAs so bad. I can't fathom how those could end up looking the slightest bit appealing.

Unfortunately, Universal only seems to be interested in "fresh" IPs, which they seem to define as a major tv/film released within a few years of the attraction. BTTF is one of my favorite films (and rides), but as others have said above Zemeckis definitely won't let a new film get made (and I prefer it that way). I would LOVE to see BTTF rebooted as an attraction though, but I only see two realistic ways that would ever happen: 1. if somewhere down the line new execs were hired who are open to the idea of using old IPs instead of modern ones, or 2. if a tv show/series were to be made (say by Netflix or something). There is potential Zemeckis would be open to a series rather than a film (there was already the animated one), but I wouldn't hold my breath.

But if it were to get made, I love your idea of a crossover in style between Indiana Jones and Forbidden Journey. Like it starts out with an Indiana Jones style, driving through modern (80's) streets of Hill Valley, then all of a sudden you're whisked away into the air (a la Forbidden Journey) and into a different time-frame. Man, that would be so cool!

Unfortunately, Universal only seems to be interested in "fresh" IPs, which they seem to define as a major tv/film released within a few years of the attraction. BTTF is one of my favorite films (and rides), but as others have said above Zemeckis definitely won't let a new film get made (and I prefer it that way). I would LOVE to see BTTF rebooted as an attraction though, but I only see two realistic ways that would ever happen: 1. if somewhere down the line new execs were hired who are open to the idea of using old IPs instead of modern ones, or 2. if a tv show/series were to be made (say by Netflix or something). There is potential Zemeckis would be open to a series rather than a film (there was already the animated one), but I wouldn't hold my breath.

But if it were to get made, I love your idea of a crossover in style between Indiana Jones and Forbidden Journey. Like it starts out with an Indiana Jones style, driving through modern (80's) streets of Hill Valley, then all of a sudden you're whisked away into the air (a la Forbidden Journey) and into a different time-frame. Man, that would be so cool!

Great reply, thanks man.

As I said in my original post I know all about Zemeckis not wanting to revisit the franchise.

But I feel there is a case for an island in the new park with classic properties.

BTTF and JAWS were great, but everyone is viewing them with Horizon eyes most of the time...It was time to move forward

Although, I will always feel like they could have done more with Simpsons

Agreed.

There is so much more they could do with The Simpsons IP. If only Universal had the ideas that Disney had with their theme parks (and sometimes, vice versa lol).

I'd love it but unlike Disney Universal doesn't has a nostalgia brand. But it would be a great ride.
Maybe if they remake it with an all female cast...forget that.

It would require getting Back to the Future a remake, which thankfully won't happen because the 1985-1990 trilogy is already great as it is. So no, I don't consider bringing back BTTF to its parks.

Oh boy... you guys are really going to see my “UNI Creative side” with this post. I have been imaging an updated BTTF ride pretty much since the moment that the last ride closed.

I think, without question, that a small part of Gate 4 should be dedicated to Universals all time classics with a high Tec (ride system) twist, mixing old with new. If you want to do a great movie style ride, and just give all of them one representation, fine, but ideally, bringing back Jaws, Bttf, and maybe some classic monsters as a small section of gate 4 paired with some shops and themeing, I think this could prove to be a massive power play. (Although I think this type of land with these rides could already make sense at USF in the Hollywood area)

I imagined an updated bttf ride system similar to mummy car (themed to Delorean of course) but somehow including KUKA elements for the ‘lift off the ground’ time to fly moment. I see this starting in a stormy outdoor set (I imagine this entry similar to the outdoor feel and beginning of rockNrollercoaster) the location of this to be the startline where Marty begins at the end of BTTF1.. an exact recreation with the lightpost, bench, and all. A launch style beginning that shoots you to “88” as doc brown informs us when we are going and why. Passing through a dark tunnel with moving speed help on walls similar to supercharged eventually passing through smoke and practical sparks as we arrive in An impressive first set that’s sets us up on our mission, moving through these sets similar to Spider-Man and Test Track, when it’s time to fly, vibrations and screens to help the effect of our wheels shifting and us lifting—enter into rotating domes (fj style) to simulate the flight portions...

I didn't know where to put this.

Back-To-The-Future-Reunion-Cast-Photo-Sequel.jpg

Apparently they had a reunion this week.