AP Rates Completely Sold Out for HHN Nights? | Inside Universal Forums

AP Rates Completely Sold Out for HHN Nights?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Feb 14, 2020
This is only our second year with annual passes so we are relatively new to the process of booking passholder rates. Last year, we booked our hotel early and then had them adjust to the AP rate over the phone when it got closer to our trip. This year we booked the Hard Rock Hotel early for our September trip and at the time of booking, were again told to check for AP rates around 90 days before our trip. We have been checking the site for the last few weeks to see if they happened to pop up early but never saw any for the dates we are going (even for earlier dates or other hotels). Today two separate members of my party called Universal to ask about AP rates and both were met with very cagey, unhelpful responses - basically that the AP rates were all sold out but that they couldn't confirm if they were ever made available in the first place. We're wondering if this is standard procedure or if the high demand this year maybe made Universal decide not to release AP rates at all for certain dates/hotels. This feels a little disingenuous as hotel discounts are one of the listed perks for annual passes. I understand that they can sell out for specific dates at specific hotels and they are first come first serve but it seems like they never went up in the first place and now they are making it sound like they won't go up at all. Wondering if anyone here has booked an AP rate at Hard Rock for a fall trip or just if anyone has any more insight into this?

What I've heard from travel agents is UOR's hotels are booking much much earlier and with way way more people. My guess is there just isn't that many rooms to offer UOAP discounts for. It is a perk that they should reexamine as the resort becomes more popular.

As for your trip, keep looking and adjust your length of stay. Could be you can find UOAP rates for only specific days of a vacation.

Last year for my week in Oct, they did not open up any AP rates because the hotel was sold out. When I called reservations about it, I was told that if there are no rooms available they will not release any AP rates. It's not a guaranteed thing that they will release them.

• Wow
Reactions: shadowrama
I'm in the same boat as you (date wise, but different hotels). Even in the Annual Passholder tab it says there's no promoted AP rates offered right now, so it looks like its not just HHN season that's suffering.

It is honestly disappointing to promote that as a key selling point of the AP, and then have nothing available. The standard Aventura room I have booked now is about $200/night, when last year I had a Cabana Bay Family Suite for about $140/night. If nothing else, at least remove the $15/night uncharges for the 3rd (and 4th) adults, then I wouldn't feel like I'm getting totally screwed.

• Sad
Reactions: shadowrama
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Makes me feel at least a little less crazy. I just wish Universal was being a little more upfront about it. From our experience and what others are saying, it sounds like the demand is so high that they just won't be releasing AP rates for most dates/hotels. And like @Bort said, offering some kind of compensation to passholders would be nice. Heck, give me a couple meal vouchers and I won't complain.

Looking the past few months there were many instances where they were not even offering the Stay More Save More rates at the Deluxes, let alone AP discounts. 2022 is just too crowded. Tough to find a good hotel rate. As I've said before, I'm pausing and waiting until 2023 when the economy cools down and all that stimulus saving has been spent.

Still haven’t seen anything. I did notice that AP page said that more info is to come for AP appreciation month. Booked Dockside 2 bedroom for $165 a night for the 4th week of HHN. I’ve definitely never seen prices this high and availability so low for September.

Still haven’t seen anything. I did notice that AP page said that more info is to come for AP appreciation month. Booked Dockside 2 bedroom for $165 a night for the 4th week of HHN. I’ve definitely never seen prices this high and availability so low for September.
I’m expecting a very, very limited quantity (if any) for AP rates when the details of that appreciation month release. I check my very day or so just to see if anything magically appears.

A few people on the Orlando Parks Facebook group said they were able to pick up Cabana AP rates for Sept. in just the last couple of days.

I agree and also wish AP rates were easier to de-code and have a clearer understanding of when they go live and limitations and etc. instead of the usual they come whenever and go just as quickly.

The best method I understand is to book when you see a rate you are comfortable with and to just keep checking and if a better rate is available then switch to that. Pain in the butt, sure, but it is the best strategy that I have found for now.

A bit of an oddball question (as I doubt these rooms would get an AP rate anyway)...

With a club level room, do you get club lounge access all day on both check in/check out days (in the same way that your Express Pass works all day both days)? Thinking of doing a split stay between ES and RP instead of my current one resort reservation if no AP rates drop.

Thought I was a goner on the AP rate for this fall, but when I searched again on a private browser, a nice 2-Bedroom Suite rate at Dockside popped up for my dates. It saved me about $80 vs the Aventura standard room reservation that I had booked a few months back.

Moral of the story: Keep checking those rates, and do so on different browsers. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.

Thought I was a goner on the AP rate for this fall, but when I searched again on a private browser, a nice 2-Bedroom Suite rate at Dockside popped up for my dates. It saved me about $80 vs the Aventura standard room reservation that I had booked a few months back.

Moral of the story: Keep checking those rates, and do so on different browsers. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.
Worked for me, just checked and Dockside had the rates up, just had to call and get my reservation modified.