Ask a Universal Team Member | Inside Universal Forums

Ask a Universal Team Member

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 4, 2013
Thought I'd make my first post on here a Q and A. Not going to answer anything that is going to get me fired but ask away. I am sure there are some questions about the park you would like to know!

Reactions: Jon Fu
Welcome! Guess I'll start...

Are you optimistic about Comcast's ownership of NBCUniversal? And how have the recent changes (construction, Despicable Me, Potter) been received?

I have asked many of the other TM in the area that have been thru Universal to MCA to Seagrams and they are optimistic. I personally got hired a few months after comcast signed all the paperwork in 2010 but i did get the whole GE Spiel. Comcast seems more relaxed. The construction has made myself and many others excited about working at USH. I just wish they would give us more insight to ALL of the construction haha. I think we will once gibson closes in the fall.

If you could, I would love to know what the general consensus was regarding General Electric's reign. I've heard different stories myself, but I always love new perspectives.

On a slightly unrelated note, do you consider the park too loud?

literally i was in the last training team of the GE stuff; my trainer said in 6 months this stuff wont matter and you will learn all new "rules".

Yes the park is too loud. In my area, it is one of the complants from employees and guests.

Hope you don't mind, but I'll continue asking a few questions. Haha. I appreciate you taking the time to do this, and I' m surprised others haven't asked anything yet (now's your chance!).

What's your favorite thing about working at Universal? And if you're willing, a pet peeve?

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any empty space left in the old Victoria Station building, or does House of Horror, Photoland, and the Globe Theatre kitchen take up the entire space? Can you think of any large empty spaces in the park that could acommodate a D-Ticket dark ride like E.T.?

last ones for the night, i got to be up early tomorrow for work.

Hope you don't mind, but I'll continue asking a few questions. Haha. I appreciate you taking the time to do this, and I' m surprised others haven't asked anything yet (now's your chance!).

What's your favorite thing about working at Universal? And if you're willing, a pet peeve?
Favorite thing about USH is the movie history. We have limited access (but still some) to walk around on the backlot. Still breathtaking thinking about the history there. I also love the guests that come in that have not been to USH in 20+ years and seeing them leave with smiles on their faces.

biggest pet peeve: people telling me that they are handicapped and that they automatically get FOLs (everything is ADA accessable and GR has the right to give you the alternate entrance pass instead) also the guests who purposely try to get free things out of complaining. wish they wouldnt because it only holds out the other guests when they do these things.

How much opportunity is there to make a career at the theme park? A descent paying one that is.
lets see. In my area, i am one of the highest paying areas that isnt a supervisor or salaried or isnt part of the tour. Not too sure about other areas, but ours have had some "lifers" for 5+ years.

Is there any empty space left in the old Victoria Station building, or does House of Horror, Photoland, and the Globe Theatre kitchen take up the entire space? Can you think of any large empty spaces in the park that could acommodate a D-Ticket dark ride like E.T.?
funny story about the Victoria Station building: Annual Pass Center has this weird hallway connected there too. unfortunaly not too sure about the actual building. I still hope for some of the vision plan to build new soundstages and to make the older ones near transformers rides/shows/attractions ala USO

Reactions: BruceTheShark
Does working at the park take away "the magic" of the park for you? Do you get worried that working there will make you tired of the park as a fan? Has working there changed your view of the park compared to when you were just "a fan"?

IDK if you can answer, but does the USH management feel pressure to expand to compete more with Disneyland Resort, just as USO is competing more with WDW now?

literally i was in the last training team of the GE stuff; my trainer said in 6 months this stuff wont matter and you will learn all new "rules".

Yes the park is too loud. In my area, it is one of the complants from employees and guests.
I have a question about the loud part. We had a discussion about The Mummy Ride... I am sure I have seen almost everyone there wearing earplugs, my reasoning was that the place is too loud and is a regulation to wear them, is any of this true?

Despite what many think of it, I still believe King Kong quite literally saved the park. If we didn't have that boost in attendance in 2010, who knows where the park would be today.

I know from my perspective, things weren't looking good. Fast and Furious, Simpsons, Creature...

Last edited by a moderator:
No coincidence. One of the hallmarks of the Simpsons was the fact that it was done on the cheap. Was considered a "feature" for the top executive brass over at General Electric.
Haha I know, just poking fun at my faaaavorite ride ;)

And I agree that Kong saved the park. I remember between 2008 to 2009/early 2010 before Kong opened, the park was always empty. It was quite odd. My family and I never waited in line and I laughed at any tourist who was tricked into getting a FOTL pass when everything has a 10 minute wait, IF that. I was shocked at the boost that Kong brought. Very happy :)

I think the park would've had a big boost and surge in attendance anyway eventually, but it would've waited until Transformers opened. Kong just had it happen earlier.

I'll step in and give an larger answer on this: it was uh, not good. 2008/2009 were considered some of the darkest years for the park.

Yes it's a regulation due to loud noise for both Mummy and Transformers. The general park audio has been significantly lowered throughout the years. 
I knew it!!!

The general park audio has been significantly lowered throughout the years. 
Really?! Maybe I'm more talkative now than I was in the past, but I simply can't get through one day without straining my voice whenever I'm at the park with a friend or guest.

Reactions: BernardMesa