Avengers Campus (DCA) | Page 55 | Inside Universal Forums

Avengers Campus (DCA)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I get what you're saying, however look how fast MMRR has gone up. They started on that last year and it looks to be on pace to open potentially next Summer. The Spider-Man ride also didn't take long to build either by Disney standards.

Also, Avengers is being built on what is now a parking lot, so there's not any demolition that needs to take place and since that's all backstage in a self contained area, the construction shouldn't interfere with daily ops much at all either.

Absolutely agree about the construction aspect. The great thing about the potential expansion of this land is that the main pad is already basically ready to go. I was just looking at the overhead on Google Maps (which has been updated!) and I didn't even realize that the trolley roundhouse is directly behind the building with the Quinjet, so it's tracks run right through. I guess if they do expand that direction, the roundhouse will need to be moved and the tracks re-routed. I'd even be ok with them getting rid of the trolley all together. I never really thought it was a great addition.

This is way down the line thinking but I wouldn't mind seeing Marvel eat up the rest of the Hollywoodland area. It's always been one of the more troubled sections of the park and one of the few areas left in DCA that is kind of stagnant and weird. That rumor has come and gone a lot but it's not like Marvel doesn't have the staying power and variety to fill out that entire area.

Absolutely agree about the construction aspect. The great thing about the potential expansion of this land is that the main pad is already basically ready to go. I was just looking at the overhead on Google Maps (which has been updated!) and I didn't even realize that the trolley roundhouse is directly behind the building with the Quinjet, so it's tracks run right through. I guess if they do expand that direction, the roundhouse will need to be moved and the tracks re-routed. I'd even be ok with them getting rid of the trolley all together. I never really thought it was a great addition.

This is way down the line thinking but I wouldn't mind seeing Marvel eat up the rest of the Hollywoodland area. It's always been one of the more troubled sections of the park and one of the few areas left in DCA that is kind of stagnant and weird. That rumor has come and gone a lot but it's not like Marvel doesn't have the staying power and variety to fill out that entire area.
I believe MMRR was originally supposed to go in Hollywoodland, which I feel like would've been a perfect fit and a nice family E-ticket that would draw crowds back there. I do like that it's going in Toontown though as it does the same thing for that land - gives it a headliner attraction to draw more crowds to that area of the park.

Something will eventually need to be done with Hollywoodland, the problem with expanding Marvel that way (again, way down the line) is that you have the theater that's sort of in a weird place, but the shows in there have also always been super popular and of high quality, so i'd hate to lose that. It'll be interesting what they end up doing with it, especially since with Marvel characters moving from Hollywoodland to Avengers Campus, there's going to be even less traffic in the land than normal. Short-term, I see them using the land as overflow queue for Spider-Man if it's needed.

Reactions: deadbydawn
I believe MMRR was originally supposed to go in Hollywoodland, which I feel like would've been a perfect fit and a nice family E-ticket that would draw crowds back there. I do like that it's going in Toontown though as it does the same thing for that land - gives it a headliner attraction to draw more crowds to that area of the park.

Something will eventually need to be done with Hollywoodland, the problem with expanding Marvel that way (again, way down the line) is that you have the theater that's sort of in a weird place, but the shows in there have also always been super popular and of high quality, so i'd hate to lose that. It'll be interesting what they end up doing with it, especially since with Marvel characters moving from Hollywoodland to Avengers Campus, there's going to be even less traffic in the land than normal. Short-term, I see them using the land as overflow queue for Spider-Man if it's needed.

Toontown definitely needed something like MMRR so I think that is a perfect fit, especially long term. I'd be ok losing the Hyperion if it meant the entire land was going to be overhauled into something better. I guess I'd just consider it a martyr haha.

Aside from the small aesthetically driven update that Hollywoodland got in 2013 or so, it feels like they have sort of kept the area stagnant. It's half 1930's LA and half weird 2001 fake movie set. Everything back there just feels super temporary. IMO, Marvel just seems like the easiest fit and it is a good sized footprint to add on to the whole Avengers Campus idea if they wanted to later on.

Toontown definitely needed something like MMRR so I think that is a perfect fit, especially long term. I'd be ok losing the Hyperion if it meant the entire land was going to be overhauled into something better. I guess I'd just consider it a martyr haha.

Aside from the small aesthetically driven update that Hollywoodland got in 2013 or so, it feels like they have sort of kept the area stagnant. It's half 1930's LA and half weird 2001 fake movie set. Everything back there just feels super temporary. IMO, Marvel just seems like the easiest fit and it is a good sized footprint to add on to the whole Avengers Campus idea if they wanted to later on.
Honestly, I think after the Avengers E-ticket, the land is fine and won't need to essentially be doubled in size. Hollywoodland isn't huge, but it's big enough to put a decent sized land in. The only way i'd really want more Marvel that way was if they were turning it into a fully immersive Wakanda-themed land.

Otherwise, I think it's prime real estate for something else entirely. Instead of putting Tron in Tomorrowland, they could put it over there for example. Or maybe pull the BatB ride from Tokyo? Idk, there's just plenty of more ways to go than just handing over for more mediocre Marvel content.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
Honestly, I think after the Avengers E-ticket, the land is fine and won't need to essentially be doubled in size. Hollywoodland isn't huge, but it's big enough to put a decent sized land in. The only way i'd really want more Marvel that way was if they were turning it into a fully immersive Wakanda-themed land.

Otherwise, I think it's prime real estate for something else entirely. Instead of putting Tron in Tomorrowland, they could put it over there for example. Or maybe pull the BatB ride from Tokyo? Idk, there's just plenty of more ways to go than just handing over for more mediocre Marvel content.

Fair point! Regardless of what they decide to do there it will be better than we we have currently no doubt.

I'd be really gutted if they got rid of Hollywoodland. To me, that is "classic" DCA and it'd be equal to Disneyland getting rid of any of their lands. Honestly, it just needs some love in the same way Tomorrowland right now needs love. I wouldn't mind if they got rid of Monsters Inc or anything (I almost said or any of the other rides but I just realized with Avengers opening this is the ONLY ride in that land), but the buildings, themes, and architecture should stay.

Reactions: Freak
There's really no reason why Hollywoodland can't have two additional dark rides in the vacant/flex soundstages that are already sitting there. That would give it three dark rides, a kids show, a flex amphitheater, a Broadway-style theater, and the animation space. It only feels vacant right now because we've "moved" its E-Ticket, the Broadway theater is vacant, and the cul-de-sac with Monsters has basically nothing to do in it.

Marvel should be good with what it has and should definitely focus on building the marquee Avengers ride before encroaching on Hollywood.

There's really no reason why Hollywoodland can't have two additional dark rides in the vacant/flex soundstages that are already sitting there. That would give it three dark rides, a kids show, a flex amphitheater, a Broadway-style theater, and the animation space. It only feels vacant right now because we've "moved" its E-Ticket, the Broadway theater is vacant, and the cul-de-sac with Monsters has basically nothing to do in it.

Marvel should be good with what it has and should definitely focus on building the marquee Avengers ride before encroaching on Hollywood.
Oh, I agree. This conversation was sort of in reference to AFTER the Avengers ride is built, but I agree that Avengers Campus will be fine once that gets built.

I'd love to see something like BatB get built in this land. Change the name from Hollywoodland to Animation Courtyard and make it like a small and more modern fantasyland. With an E-ticket ride and show, the land would be fine. I'm not sure if it'd be possible (if there's enough room), but a smaller C-ticket would be a nice thing to fill out the land as well.

I feel like a good split would be using the Soundstage area to revitalize Hollywoodland: add a couple of dark rides, move the amphitheater, add a facade to the Hyperion to really make it the draw of the land. Then take the space where Playhouse Disney and Animation Building are to expand Avengers Campus

Reactions: Clive and Nick
I feel like a good split would be using the Soundstage area to revitalize Hollywoodland: add a couple of dark rides, move the amphitheater, add a facade to the Hyperion to really make it the draw of the land. Then take the space where Playhouse Disney and Animation Building are to expand Avengers Campus
If they ever were to take an approach like that where after the Avengers ride, they expanded Marvel where Disney Junior is, i'd preferably like to see something X-Men related if that were to ever happen.

I also agree with finally giving the Hyperion a proper facade.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
I would prefer Marvel staying away from Hollywood Land. I think it needs an overhaul, but not a Marvel overhaul. Isn't that where the rumored black box attraction is going to be?

Count me into the camp as well that prefers Marvel stay out of Hollywoodland. I know this isn’t necessarily a “California” themed park anymore, but it would be nice if the park stuck to its roots of celebrating California heritage and culture just a little bit. I don’t want it to become another IP-dump park.

What I want to see for Hollywood land:
-Using the Playhouse Disney stage for a flex-theater/3D movie preview space
-“Black box” dark ride where the old Millionaire stage is.
-E-ticket trackless dark ride to replace Monsters with either BatB or Nightmare Before Christmas using the BatB format.
-Keep Philharmagic.

If they’re really itching for another Marvel addition, I think they can connect it to the Animation building to build another Marvel attraction there of some sort. They could even use the Hyperion Theater space for a new Marvel coaster. Or they could use the DisneyForward space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Dog and Nick
I'd be really gutted if they got rid of Hollywoodland. To me, that is "classic" DCA and it'd be equal to Disneyland getting rid of any of their lands. Honestly, it just needs some love in the same way Tomorrowland right now needs love. I wouldn't mind if they got rid of Monsters Inc or anything (I almost said or any of the other rides but I just realized with Avengers opening this is the ONLY ride in that land), but the buildings, themes, and architecture should stay.
What? Why

It is by FAR the weakest land, and now that TOT is gone its just nothing

There is a ton of room there for some really cool new attractions, no one is going to miss Monster Inc and while the Animation area is cool they can bring it back but smaller. Its just too much space for a none D/E ticket.

I don't know if I want it to be all Marvel themed but I just do not care for the land and also while yes its cool we are getting Mickey, Toontown needs some new stuff as well or I really wish it went...too much space not being used in both lands

What? Why

It is by FAR the weakest land, and now that TOT is gone its just nothing

There is a ton of room there for some really cool new attractions, no one is going to miss Monster Inc and while the Animation area is cool they can bring it back but smaller. Its just too much space for a none D/E ticket.

I don't know if I want it to be all Marvel themed but I just do not care for the land and also while yes its cool we are getting Mickey, Toontown needs some new stuff as well or I really wish it went...too much space not being used in both lands
I agree, there's nothing special about Hollywood land, just some random building facades and food locations. Most non-regular guests would never know its related to Hollywood. That land is useless now without Superstar Limo:lol: and Tower of Terror, would love to see Marvel sweep over that area!

Reactions: alias8703
To each their own, but it's my favorite land of DCA (we'll see if that changes with Avengers). In my top 3 of the entire resort.
When it was at its peak at least: Tower of Terror, Mad Tea Party, Aladdin, etc..
In a weird way, I also like that it's a flex space. Keeps things fresh. Would I love a new E-ticket? Ofcourse.
I mostly just want the land taken care of instead of forgotten. Which then results in discussions like this where people think it sucks.
Almost like they're purposely stripping it down further and further for people not to like it and not care when they bulldoze it.

To each their own, but it's my favorite land of DCA (we'll see if that changes with Avengers). In my top 3 of the entire resort.
When it was at its peak at least: Tower of Terror, Mad Tea Party, Aladdin, etc..
In a weird way, I also like that it's a flex space. Keeps things fresh. Would I love a new E-ticket? Ofcourse.
I mostly just want the land taken care of instead of forgotten. Which then results in discussions like this where people think it sucks.
Almost like they're purposely stripping it down further and further for people not to like it and not care when they bulldoze it.
Those are all gone...sure it used to be fun but you can't keep a land on the past....Tommorrowland isn't great because of what it used to be same with Toontwon all three lands need MAJOR work

Hollywood could have kinda been saved if Mickey and Roger made their way into Hollywood but for some dumb reason they choose to plus Toontwon and highly doubt the rest of the land gets ANYTHING. If They shut Toontown down and added new effects to Roger, made Goofys house the paintball attraction like in japan, used Donalds/Go Coaster/Chip and Dales to make a longer coaster with more theming and capacity and turnen Minnies house/the gas station/food area into The House of Mouse Restaurant then sure I get it but really all they did was take away any chance of adding rides to Hollywood that made sense.

Hollywood has no future sadly, they don't do parties any more, TOT is dead and Frozen is fine but its no Aladdin and Monsters Inc is one of the three lamest dark rides (Buzz and Pooh to me are in this section...they are all boring and nothing like the Charming Fantasyland dark rides) So I don't know what they do with that land but Hollywood doesn't even have a themed resturant....its the only land without in DCA.

Lands absolutely are great for what they used to be. History and nostalgia, the very thing Disney's brand thrives on, are what keeps things close to people's hearts. When I think of Tomorrowland, I think of the PeopleMover, the Rocket Rods, the old Astro Orbiter, Radio Disney, Asimo, etc etc.. People hold an attachment to those things and that's what makes imagineers reconsider all their options before demolishing any land. They want to do their best to improve instead of restarting, not to mention it's cost effective which is probably priority number 1.
As for Frozen, well........ I'm sure that announcement will come some day, but it's pretty much six feet under.
They can do anything with the space to spruce it up on a whim. Glow Fest, ElecTRONica, Mad Tea Party were all hits. When the state opens and the park goes back to 100% capacity, they'll definitely want to throw some type of party to celebrate that magic. And Hollywoodland will be waiting...

Lands absolutely are great for what they used to be. History and nostalgia, the very thing Disney's brand thrives on, are what keeps things close to people's hearts. When I think of Tomorrowland, I think of the PeopleMover, the Rocket Rods, the old Astro Orbiter, Radio Disney, Asimo, etc etc.. People hold an attachment to those things and that's what makes imagineers reconsider all their options before demolishing any land. They want to do their best to improve instead of restarting, not to mention it's cost effective which is probably priority number 1.
As for Frozen, well........ I'm sure that announcement will come some day, but it's pretty much six feet under.
They can do anything with the space to spruce it up on a whim. Glow Fest, ElecTRONica, Mad Tea Party were all hits. When the state opens and the park goes back to 100% capacity, they'll definitely want to throw some type of party to celebrate that magic. And Hollywoodland will be waiting...
I didn't know anyone was nostalgic for old Cali Adventure

To me it's like someone clamoring to bring back the Universal Escape logo

Reactions: Freak
I didn't know anyone was nostalgic for old Cali Adventure

To me it's like someone clamoring to bring back the Universal Escape logo
I do

But I admit it was just because I was at the right age...preteen when the park opened so I could still play in the SS Rusty but also ride the coaster.

I never hated DCA like many did, it was for sure lacking but for sure once DCA 2.0 was a thing with a new entrance, Cars land and WOC it was a fun second park...would i want to go to just DCA? Not yet...but maybe one day

(this next comment is not aimed at you)
Also most people going to Disneyland are not going because they remind old rides and lands...its for the stuff it has now. Also Hollywood was never loved it was panned fromday one as the weakest land and never really did much to improve that. Even Bugsland themewise was more impressive

Reactions: JawsVictim