Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Avengers E-Ticket Attraction (DCA)

I never knew I'd be the FoP apologist on the board
It's not bad and I enjoy it quite a bit, however, i'd much prefer them have created a high-end E-ticket that mixes physical and screens. I think FoP was a really good ride for the Avatar franchise, but for Avengers, I feel like there needed to be a RotR counterpart as it will be much more in-demand.

Marvel Flight of Passage in isolation sounds like a great idea. Marvel Flight of Passage being the several years’ late anchor to a land that has two screen-heavy rides already is underwhelming.

I’d much rather get a Guardians-esque coaster at this point, especially since the building is going to be a big gray box either way.

I’d much rather get a Guardians-esque coaster at this point, especially since the building is going to be a big gray box either way.
Or do something with physical + projection mapping with Doctor Strange in a relatively contained space. Or do a madhouse! That's never been done in a Disney park before.

Here's my thing. Isn't FoP a maintenance nightmare? Wouldn't cloning that be shooting themselves in the foot?

This is actually one of my main concerns. I would also submit that this type of ride should not be the only ride added. I would definitely argue for a thrilling coaster where you fly with the Avengers or even just one of them. An Iron Man or Thor coaster (think Ride the Lightning) with the level of theming as seen on Velocicoaster. I think that the hard part would be which villain to sell it with. Ultron was good but Thanos would be better with his legions of monsters. You just have to throw the timeline out of the window. They could even do a launched inverted, similar to FLY at Phantasialand, and use brake runs/powered coaster sets to move through dark rides.

Disney has a lot of options but they will probably just overthink it and simply provide an Avengers ride that is as thrilling as the movies (see their Spiderman ride as Exhibit A).

Based on the concept art that has been released for the Avengers ride, I expected something like the abandoned ride idea for the old Space pavilion at Epcot...
9137715fb557f89c966ece306cdb8096.jpg

And I would add, my resistance to cloning Flight of Passage's ride system isn't because I don't like that ride. I do (I think it's probably the best pure simulator out there, which -- if anyone is aware of my general stance on simulators -- means it does its job very well). And I think it complements Animal Kingdom's attraction lineup nicely.

My issue is that cloning pure simulators in parks that already have simulators/simulator-adjacent rides is lazy, especially for a property that is currently the most popular franchise on the planet.

This is giving me major F&F vibes. Not saying that it’ll be bad, but that this line of thinking seems to happen with large company owned properties. There is a value placed on the property as a draw over the need for experimentation/novelty. There is no 3rd party to check these instincts. The complications of RotR doesn’t seem to help matters.

Problem with an Avengers ride is which characters to base it on? Corporate Disney would want whatever is relevant on Disney+, while the best solution would be to have it be based on no timeline and to feature all the characters.

By the time this gets built, the "original" Avengers will be outdated.

Problem with an Avengers ride is which characters to base it on? Corporate Disney would want whatever is relevant on Disney+, while the best solution would be to have it be based on no timeline and to feature all the characters.

By the time this gets built, the "original" Avengers will be outdated.

With this area acting as if anything can pop in and out, I'd assume a mixture of new and old; with Sam Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Thor, and the next Black Panther. The key will be to make it feel as if it's timeless, and set with a mixture of characters from past and present. That's my guess atleast.

I think we're also falling into the fallacy that a new ride system is REQUIRED for this ride. Look at Carsland; arguably the best single IP theme land they've done and the major E-Ticket is a modified Test Track that surpasses the original. I think fans frustrations with unambitious Marvel rides is spilling into "well if the ride system is new then that'll make it ambitious" which I don't agree with.

I think we're also falling into the fallacy that a new ride system is REQUIRED for this ride. Look at Carsland; arguably the best single IP theme land they've done and the major E-Ticket is a modified Test Track that surpasses the original. I think fans frustrations with unambitious Marvel rides is spilling into "well if the ride system is new then that'll make it ambitious" which I don't agree with.
There are a million different things they could have done with Marvel. They chose a really good, popular ride system to clone for the big E-ticket.

They also chose a poo poo ride system for the Spidey ride.

If it's one thing we've learned several times is that just because a park patents something doesn't mean it will be used how we think - if at all.

The last two additions to Universal (also associated with mega-IPs) were just roller coasters…nothing on Hagrid’s or Velocicoaster had never been done before and yet these are two of the best rides in Orlando (well, can’t speak from personal experience on VC yet but the reviews are good enough or me). It’s the theming, story, etc. that makes them the best, not the tech. Same with why Spider-Man is regarded so much better than Transformers. So there’s really no reason to jump the gun this early writing off a new ride just because the tech has been used before.

On the other hand, you have Rise of the Resistance, which was innovative by any reasonable standard and yet everyone is mad that it breaks down and still requires VL because of its complexity.

I don’t mean to be the go-to cheerleader for Avengers Campus (I don’t think it’s great but it’s not as bad as everyone has made it out to be). But these reactions are shockingly negative and, like, Disney can generally be counted on to create a solid product…the worst new thing they’ve done was what, the newer version of the Imagination ride?

That’s not even to say…how often do rumors at this stage end up panning out completely anyway?

DCA has been kind of sad with additions lately. We got so much great stuff for DCA 2.0 but what’s been added since Cars Land opened has really been lackluster. We’ve got a new film for Soarin’, a re theme of Paradise Pier, a re theme of ToT, a more advanced version of TSMM (which is already at DCA) and a more advanced Soarin perhaps? [Which already has a home here as well].

The last two additions to Universal (also associated with mega-IPs) were just roller coasters…nothing on Hagrid’s or Velocicoaster had never been done before and yet these are two of the best rides in Orlando (well, can’t speak from personal experience on VC yet but the reviews are good enough or me). It’s the theming, story, etc. that makes them the best, not the tech. Same with why Spider-Man is regarded so much better than Transformers. So there’s really no reason to jump the gun this early writing off a new ride just because the tech has been used before.

On the other hand, you have Rise of the Resistance, which was innovative by any reasonable standard and yet everyone is mad that it breaks down and still requires VL because of its complexity.

I don’t mean to be the go-to cheerleader for Avengers Campus (I don’t think it’s great but it’s not as bad as everyone has made it out to be). But these reactions are shockingly negative and, like, Disney can generally be counted on to create a solid product…the worst new thing they’ve done was what, the newer version of the Imagination ride?

That’s not even to say…how often do rumors at this stage end up panning out completely anyway?

I was entirely with you until the Disney can be counted on to create a solid product line.
I'd argue they have had many misses and mistakes. Thats not a bad thing if they are learned from, but I'm not sure there is any evidence to prove that the have/do.

Avengers Campus sucks. I don't care what tech they use as long as it's good (as you suggested) but not opening a flagship ride with a new land is shameful, and this is now strike 2 for Disney on that front

I was entirely with you until the Disney can be counted on to create a solid product line.
I'd argue they have had many misses and mistakes. Thats not a bad thing if they are learned from, but I'm not sure there is any evidence to prove that the have/do.

Avengers Campus sucks. I don't care what tech they use as long as it's good (as you suggested) but not opening a flagship ride with a new land is shameful, and this is now strike 2 for Disney on that front

Maybe I should rephrase…

Every project that’s been preemptively dumped on has turned out to generally be high quality. Flight of Passage, Rise of the Resistance, Toy Story Land, etc. from the past 10 years have all been good to great. Guardians of the Galaxy ended up going from absolute pariah before it opened to, from what I understand, the best-rated ride in the park. There’ve been a couple stinkers (I’ll begrudgingly include Spider-Man into this group) but the overall track record is objectively good.

Disney did the land opening right back when cars land premiered. The entire land was open and ready to explore. Two flat rides to support a brand new E ticket, that was one of the most anticipated attraction additions to the resort since, probably, IJA back in ‘95. I’m not a fan of this phased opening non sense. It’s all just an excuse to open a land before it’s ready, to make as much as possible from merchandise, at the earliest possible date.

I’ll take a clone of FoP over another trackless ride system similar to RotR. I know the plans were something new and innovative but if they’re copying another ride system, glad it’s not trackless again. Already getting two of them at DL.

I’ll take a clone of FoP over another trackless ride system similar to RotR. I know the plans were something new and innovative but if they’re copying another ride system, glad it’s not trackless again. Already getting two of them at DL.
I would kill for a new age suspended dark ride with a motion base. Imagine IOA Spidey and ET fused together. That would really be something interesting. It would even better give you the illusion of flying a Quinjet.

I'd probably agree with that, as the trackless system isn't right for the property.

I'd much rather a coaster over FOP tho