Blackstone sells all SEAS shares to Zhonghong Group | Inside Universal Forums

Blackstone sells all SEAS shares to Zhonghong Group

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 15, 2014
--Classified--
"Blackstone Group has sold its 21 percent stake in SeaWorld to Zhonghong Group, which gives SeaWorld a path into the growing Chinese tourism market and a partner with experience in theme-park development there. Zhonghong is paying a 33 percent premium on Thursday’s closing price, but the deal includes licensing and consulting deals for theme-park development in China. Reuters calculated the deal was worth about $429 million.

It’s unclear whether killer whales and other marine mammals could be a part of an expansion into China, but Spiegel said animal welfare isn’t a mainstream issue yet with Chinese consumers, Spiegel said.

Zhonghong’s other theme-park developments include the Monkey Kingdom theme park being built outside Beijing. Hailed as a “Disney-quality” concept, Monkey Kingdom was supposed to open in 2014 on 100 acres at a cost of $1.5 billion under Zhonghong’s real estate arm.

Zhonghong’s deal says that SeaWorld will “advise on the concept development and design of theme parks, water parks, and family entertainment centers to be developed and operated by Zhonghong Holding, including exclusive rights in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.”

One of SeaWorld’s two new board members is theme park and entertainment veteran Yoshikazu Maruyama, the head of Zhonghong’s American operations and a former executive at DreamWorks and Universal. The other new board member is Yongli Wang, Zhonghong’s chief strategy officer who has held several spots in the international banking and finance industry."

Source: Blackstone sells stake in SeaWorld - Orlando Sentinel

I see parallels between this and Comcast's acquisition of Universal. I wonder if we may see a similar effect as SEAS now has a huge firm behind them. It also looks like SEAS may be making some money off the side as regular consultants for Zhonghong's other future parks, maybe even through their new creative team Deep Blue. At least Blackstone is out of the equation, which is always a good sign.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkiBum and Mad Dog
"Blackstone Group has sold its 21 percent stake in SeaWorld to Zhonghong Group, which gives SeaWorld a path into the growing Chinese tourism market and a partner with experience in theme-park development there. Zhonghong is paying a 33 percent premium on Thursday’s closing price, but the deal includes licensing and consulting deals for theme-park development in China. Reuters calculated the deal was worth about $429 million.

It’s unclear whether killer whales and other marine mammals could be a part of an expansion into China, but Spiegel said animal welfare isn’t a mainstream issue yet with Chinese consumers, Spiegel said.

Zhonghong’s other theme-park developments include the Monkey Kingdom theme park being built outside Beijing. Hailed as a “Disney-quality” concept, Monkey Kingdom was supposed to open in 2014 on 100 acres at a cost of $1.5 billion under Zhonghong’s real estate arm.

Zhonghong’s deal says that SeaWorld will “advise on the concept development and design of theme parks, water parks, and family entertainment centers to be developed and operated by Zhonghong Holding, including exclusive rights in China, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau.”

One of SeaWorld’s two new board members is theme park and entertainment veteran Yoshikazu Maruyama, the head of Zhonghong’s American operations and a former executive at DreamWorks and Universal. The other new board member is Yongli Wang, Zhonghong’s chief strategy officer who has held several spots in the international banking and finance industry."

I see parallels between this and Comcast's acquisition of Universal. I wonder if we may see a similar effect as SEAS now has a huge firm behind them. It also looks like SEAS may be making some money off the side as regular consultants for Zhonghong's other future parks, maybe even through their new creative team Deep Blue. At least Blackstone is out of the equation, which is always a good sign.
:clap:...That's probably the best news this chain has had for the many dark years since AB was purchased by In Bev, and the sold to Blackstone....The cancer (Blackstone) is now gone. Even though Blackstone's share of the company had been lessened, they were still calling the shots.

I had read where China was working on a killer whale breeding program in one or two of their parks. This aligns with that potentially.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I had read where China was working on a killer whale breeding program in one or two of their parks. This aligns with that potentially.
A lot of parks in China are starting to acquire orcas, but this has nothing to do with SeaWorld. All of the orcas in China are being captured in Russia. The news you mentioned was from Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, but there are more like Linyi Polar Ocean World and Shanghai Haichang Polar Ocean World. All unrelated to one another and unrelated to SeaWorld.

A lot of parks in China are starting to acquire orcas, but this has nothing to do with SeaWorld. All of the orcas in China are being captured in Russia. The news you mentioned was from Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, but there are more like Linyi Polar Ocean World and Shanghai Haichang Polar Ocean World. All unrelated to one another and unrelated to SeaWorld.

Oh well. I really am of two minds about this subject. However, I hope that the Sea World parks continue growing beyond the killer whale shows. Does this purchase include the Busch Garden parks or is that separate? I cannot remember.

Oh well. I really am of two minds about this subject. However, I hope that the Sea World parks continue growing beyond the killer whale shows. Does this purchase include the Busch Garden parks or is that separate? I cannot remember.
BGW & Tampa are both part of the Sea World Group.