Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Block Out Day Passes

May 3, 2014
I've been to the official Universal site and I've seen that they offer Block Out Day Passes, but there's no mention of how much they are. Does anyone here know what they go for?:

The rate might be contingent on the day of your visit. Might be worth to call Universal beforehand to see if the rate changes depending on the season.

Just curious, but why not just apply the amount of the black out day ticket to simply upgrade your pass?
If you have a Costco pass it becomes a down grade if you upgrade to the next level of pass. More blackout days with the Season Pass than the Costco pass.

2. How can I get into Universal Studios Hollywood if I come on a Black-Out date?

There are two ways a Pass Member can revisit on a Black-Out date:

1. Purchase a 1-day park upgrade for $45, available at any ticket booth.*
  2. Upgrade to a No Black-Out Season Pass for the remainder of the pass life, available at any ticket booth.

*Based on availability.  Additional restrictions may apply.  Prices are subject to change without prior notice.

http://www.universalstudioshollywood.com/faqs/season-passes/

Ok, this is where I'm coming from -- I'm thinking of picking up the Costco pass. It expires Mid-March 2016. It is the only pass you can buy right now that goes into March - even the no-blackout day pass expires in Mid February. I'm obviously hoping to get a little Potter soft opening time in at the end of the pass. And I must note at this point that there is no kind of pass of any kind being sold for after mid March 2016 right now. I'm sure eventually annual passes will come back. I just don't know when or how much they'll be.

The block out days for the Costco pass are pretty heavy this year. Last time I bought one of these (August 2013) there were only a hand full of block out days, maybe 6 or 7, for the whole year. Now they're blocking out most of the summer. The only thing I'd lament missing is the Night Time Studio Tours. But I'm thinking if the price of the block out ticket isn't too high, I could just go one day during the summer to see the Night Time Studio Tour, and still have a pass that goes into March. 

And since the block out ticket is only $45.00, that looks like the way I'm going to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Chris, but it turns out there are a handful of days they are running the night time tours that are not blocked. I should be able to see it without having to purchase a block out ticket.

Sunday, July 5th is not blocked out, nor Sunday July 12th. Also Sunday August 23rd and Saturday August 29th. And on Labor Day Weekend, Saturday September 5th and Monday the 7th are available.

Im going to renew my pass, I'm not sure what options are out there, I sure could use the forums help, especially the insiders, thanks chris for the contributing posts

I also cant find the license plates covers for fast and the furious supercharged why were they pulled from the stores, or does a separate thread for merchandise already existing.

Hola "Dr Gomez" LOL

When does your pass expire?  If you purchase any pass right now, the Costco pass is the only pass worth purchasing.  $80 and good through March 18.

I second that! I also have the Costco pass and it is the best deal out there! Just remember we are rapidly approaching the block out month, mid July through mid August. However, you are guaranteed admission the first time you use your pass, block out day or not. But, after the first visit, all block out dates will apply.

Online has been updated now to $75 for admission on a black out day.  Ouch!
Well, that is putting more and more pressure on pass holders. Why even go on a blackout day if its going to be that expensive...yikes. Trying to push out AP holders for July/August I see.

My friend and I had to discover this change the hard way (in person at the ticket booth on Saturday). What's odd is that the person helping us out also gave us the option to upgrade my friend's BDGY pass for $64, which is obviously cheaper than it would've been to get a blackout day ticket.

HA HA HA HA!!!!    

$95 + $75 = $170, $1 more expensive if you were to just upgrade your pass to a No Blackout Season Pass.

$79 + $75 = $154,  $35 more expensive if you were to upgrade a CostCo Pass to a Regular Season Pass.

Why even offer blackout day passes?