Bread Box Review | Inside Universal Forums

Bread Box Review

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeventyOne

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
Stopped by Breadbox last night, the sandwich shop that took over Cigarz.

Although "sandwich shop" is a bit of a misnomer. This isn't Subway, Quiznos, or even Earl of Sandwich. It's fast-casual, not quick-serve, with house-made potato chips and draft beer. The atmosphere is a bit odd, a mix the clean modernism of Vivo downstairs with indoor swinging lawn chairs and modern art displays of lunch boxes. Didn't really do a lot for me, honestly, but I'd be willing to overlook that if the food delivered.

Taste-wise, it did. Had a grilled cheese with ham and a Nutella shake--both were delicious. The three cheeses on my sandwich played well together. However, both were also obscenely overpriced. For $8, I expected a sandwich on Texas toast or something similar--what I got was on two Wonder-bread sized slices, with one, maybe two, Oscar Meyer-size slices of ham. Ungarnished, not even cut in half. I saw some of the other sandwiches going out, they appeared about the size of the Earl, perhaps a little smaller and less "stuffed." But keep in mind, prices are one-third more than what the Earl gets. The Nutella shake was decadently chocolate, but over $5 for half the size of a regular shake at Steak & Shake or Johnny Rockets--served in plastic, not glass.

Service was friendly, but slow and spotty. Basic things like giving napkins with an order. More of a fast food mentality than fast casual.

Won't be going back--Panda Express and Moes are cheaper, or for just a couple bucks more I can get a great table service experience elsewhere in CityWalk (Vivo for example). Don't see this place making it to 2015.

The pictures I have seen so far have been underwhelming, kinda like a regular sandwich I would pack for work. Prices do seem a tad steep too.

Early days and I haven't visited myself to be able to pass a fair comment, will give it time and wait to see some more reviews.

Will have it's work cut out with myself and my Daughter though, we both love Earl of Sandwich.

I managed to get a sandwich on a mock service day. It was good, but to be fair, I got it to go, put it in my insulated lunch bag, and ate it later, so it wasn't super fresh. I thought the ingredients were high quality, I didn't find the prices too bad, but I am not a big fan of sandwiches, and haven't been to Earl of Sandwich so I can't compare.

I think maybe it needs time.

I really REALLY love the look of this place, it's reminds me of the old meeting house in Tampa a while back. Love those swings and the back wall. The food looks pretty good too. I feel like this will be the sleeper hit of the entire CW expansion, it'll improve overtime

My fiance and I had lunch here yesterday. We enjoyed the sandwiches, and the Nutella shake was crack-like addicting good.

But...

I think the price is a little too steep for what we got. If the sandwich had the chips, or a side included, maybe I wouldn't be thinking about it.

As far as the atmosphere, it's like a Johnny Rockets with deli-style sandwiches. If they had attached it to Cabana Bay, it would have fit in real well.

I had the 3 cheese grilled cheese with bacon and a Nutella shake. The sandwich was tasty and the shake was great. It is overpriced, but it is to be expected at Universal. I would have liked a lower priced smaller shake option; I could only finish half of it.

Uni getting rid of Cigarz in order to make this place a reality is still unforgivable. It sounds like nothing more than a more expensive version of Earl of Sandwich. Taking out Cigarz is the Uni equivalent of Disney removing Adventurers Club. Obviously it's not the same, but I think you understand the analogy.

My fiance and I had lunch here yesterday. We enjoyed the sandwiches, and the Nutella shake was crack-like addicting good.

But...

I think the price is a little too steep for what we got. If the sandwich had the chips, or a side included, maybe I wouldn't be thinking about it.

As far as the atmosphere, it's like a Johnny Rockets with deli-style sandwiches. If they had attached it to Cabana Bay, it would have fit in real well.

Chips aren't included??? I believe Bread Box will be going through some changes shortly...this seems like one of the missteps in the City Walk Expansion

I'm kind of surprised they decided to bring in a place like this. They already had a good lunch place with the Hot Dog Hall of Fame, as well as Menchies and Cold Stone. Its location is unlikely to help its popularity and sales either.

Bread Box has a completely different menu that HDHoF, so you can't really compare, and Menchies and Cold Stone are ice cream places.

I'm kind of surprised they decided to bring in a place like this. They already had a good lunch place with the Hot Dog Hall of Fame, as well as Menchies and Cold Stone. Its location is unlikely to help its popularity and sales either.

Citywalk needed more quick places in my opinion..there was a time before BK, Panda, and Moes that you could only go to an expensive sit down restaurant...and pre-HHN especially was quite a bit more expensive..

just thinking out loud but i have to wonder why they didn't bring in a burger joint like shake shack… maybe the whopper bar had a non-compete clause thrown into their contract?

Citywalk needed more quick places in my opinion..there was a time before BK, Panda, and Moes that you could only go to an expensive sit down restaurant...and pre-HHN especially was quite a bit more expensive..

I just don't understand now why they needed another quick service lunch place as they already have BK, Panda, Moes, Hot Dog Hall of Fame, and even Menchies and ColdStone (some people like ice cream for lunch). But I guess more is better if they anticipate a rise in guests over the next few years...

I just don't understand now why they needed another quick service lunch place as they already have BK, Panda, Moes, Hot Dog Hall of Fame, and even Menchies and ColdStone (some people like ice cream for lunch). But I guess more is better if they anticipate a rise in guests over the next few years...

Nobody eats ice cream for lunch so please stop including them as lunch options. :lol:

I'll give this a try next time I'm there but the sandwiches are running about a $1 higher than Earl of Sandwich so...not a huge deal but they better be filling and good.

Nobody eats ice cream for lunch so please stop including them as lunch options. :lol:

I'll give this a try next time I'm there but the sandwiches are running about a $1 higher than Earl of Sandwich so...not a huge deal but they better be filling and good.

Hey, I eat ice cream for lunch! :p

just thinking out loud but i have to wonder why they didn't bring in a burger joint like shake shack… maybe the whopper bar had a non-compete clause thrown into their contract?

That would be my guess.

- - - Updated - - -

Chips aren't included??? I believe Bread Box will be going through some changes shortly...this seems like one of the missteps in the City Walk Expansion

Nope, extra $3 (although they are fresh made).

It's not true quick-serve, either--took me 10 minutes to have a simple sandwich brought to me.

So I ate here on Monday with my sister and we haven't decided if we like it or not. We both loved our sandwiches and the restaurant itself but thought the prices were a bit much especially considering there's no sides included. As for the service, the staff was friendly but SLOW as hell. We waited 10 minutes to order and there were 2 people in front of us in line. Now for the food, I had a turkey sandwich with chips and my sister had a tuna sandwich with a fruit cup. Everything was fine but I could tell my sister wasn't a fan of the fruit cup and it wasn't long before I noticed 3 other people with fruit cups taking them back to the counter. Apparently the watermelon in them was a little off. So she returned her fruit cup to the counter and got chips instead. Then 2 mangers came over apologizing and gave us a free giant cookie and 2 Twinkies.

So overall I think given some more time (and a price decrease) this could be a nice little restaurant but as of now I'd give it a 5/10.

Last edited:
The sandwiches are $7.95, how much is Earl of Sandwich? I don't think the prices are bad at all, and the chips are made fresh there. $1.95 for a single Twinkie is way expensive.

The idea isn't how many quick serve places are here, but the variety. We have pizza, hot dogs, fresh made sandwiches, and the food court. Everything else is table service, not open for lunch at all, or dessert-type things (Cinnabon, Menchies, Cold Stone).