Brightline Station Coming to Orlando | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Brightline Station Coming to Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I know rail in Florida has historically been (makes fart noise), but Brightline has been a real bright spot. Sure they've had a slight delay here and there, but they already consistently operate two legs and have work well underway on the West Palm to Orlando leg. Not even a pandemic and economic collapse was able to stop it, which is really impressive.

Sunrail on the other hand...
Brightline's rail construction to Orlando is really impressive, but there are still a lot of reasons to be skeptical.

For one, I wouldn't exactly call the two existing legs "operating". And their financial problems are substantial.

On the west coast, they've had to indefinitely delay construction of the LA-Vegas project after failing to sell their junk bonds.
Fortress Fails to Sell Record Bond Deal for Las Vegas Rail

In South Florida, they're begging Miami-Dade to set up a standard commuter service on their tracks in hopes of an access payment that could be up to $12 million annually after a one-time payment of $50 million (which is less than Brightline's original request). This is the same thing they're now trying in Orlando to get money from Sunrail . . . except Sunrail has no money so I'm not sure how they expect it to work.

Today Brightline gave an update presentation to CFX which had some good information about their progress and plans for future expansion. Among that information was:
  • Orlando extension construction will finish in 2022, service begins in 2023
  • They intend to go to Disney along 417 rather than 528 unless the NEPA process dictates otherwise
  • Track between MCO and Disney will have lower speeds and trip time of 22-25 minutes
  • Brightline does not expect to market MCO to Disney tickets
  • They will enter Disney property along 536 (World/Epcot Center Drive)
  • They expect a substantial public funding component for MCO-Disney
  • One of the slides said
    Planned extension to Tampa (2029)
    which is not exactly an aggressive timeline

I think they intend for it to be mostly handled by their proposed Sunrail line along the same tracks
Without traffic (I know - Orlando) I can drive from MCO to WDW in about that amount of time. Why would I want to shlep my stuff onto the train, then off the train then on to the resort?
I can understand why they wouldn't try to be the magic train.

Reactions: tielo
Without traffic (I know - Orlando) I can drive from MCO to WDW in about that amount of time. Why would I want to shlep my stuff onto the train, then off the train then on to the resort?
I can understand why they wouldn't try to be the magic train.
Many people spend the majority of an Orlando vacation at WDW still and spend all of their days staying at a Disney resort. This is aimed at people who don't rent cars during their vacation.

Many people spend the majority of an Orlando vacation at WDW still and spend all of their days staying at a Disney resort. This is aimed at people who don't rent cars during their vacation.

I can see your argument and Joe's. I almost wonder if Disney would/could contract with Brightline to have dedicated trains between an MCO and Port Disney stopping point. Then, they could focus the Magical Express buses from the connection point to the resorts and save on expense. Plus, a train system would be far more reliable from a timing standpoint. Having said that, I doubt that they would as it would probably require a dedicated train line or one with side spurs to avoid conflicting with trains going from Orlando to Tampa.

The only thing that stops me from thinking that WDW would switch entirely to the trains to replace ME is because of how much Mears would lobby against that happening. I could see something along the lines of what DLP does and give the option of train or bus (both for a small charge, but train being slightly less).

The main customer for the Disney World station would be South Florida residents who don't want to drive.
Why would you want to take a train to get to Disney just to be there without a car when you live down there, especially since it will take about the same amount of time, if not longer? It's not like there will be a Miami to WDW line. By the time this station it would open, it would be Miami to Aventura to Fort Lauderdale to West Palm Beach to Cocoa to MCO to WDW. That's quite the tour of Florida for no reason.

Reactions: Bulldog45
Why would you want to take a train to get to Disney just to be there without a car when you live down there, especially since it will take about the same amount of time, if not longer? It's not like there will be a Miami to WDW line. By the time this station it would open, it would be Miami to Aventura to Fort Lauderdale to West Palm Beach to Cocoa to MCO to WDW. That's quite the tour of Florida for no reason.

I've flown from Miami to MCO just to avoid driving. Even if I make an eventual move to Orlando like I have planned, I'd rather hop on the train back down to visit family than have to drive myself. It's not so much about the time, but about the convenience for me. Sometimes there's not really a need to have a car especially with on-site hotels and Ubers, and I avoid paying for gas and parking fees.

I've flown from Miami to MCO just to avoid driving. Even if I make an eventual move to Orlando like I have planned, I'd rather hop on the train back down to visit family than have to drive myself. It's not so much about the time, but about the convenience for me. Sometimes there's not really a need to have a car especially with on-site hotels and Ubers, and I avoid paying for gas and parking fees.
That's true I guess. If you are staying on-site anywhere for any period of time, the amount you will save in parking fees alone is enough to take quite a few uber rides and still save money.

Reactions: SeventyOne

I said for those who don't want to drive. It does take longer by train, but for many people, having to avoid the turnpike while they can relax is quite attractive.

I said for those who don't want to drive. It does take longer by train, but for many people, having to avoid the turnpike while they can relax is quite attractive.
It would end up being faster than driving by car. Brightline has mentioned that there will be both an express and a local service. You would probably need to transfer at MCO to Sunrail or local to get to WDW though, or the express and local might provide continuing service to WDW.

If it is even slightly slower or equivalent, then I'd rather take the train. Having the opportunity to relax and get some work done instead of driving is a blessing.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I was under the impression Disney didn't want no more Florida Resident annual passholders anymore. If that happens the main part of the track is obsoleted.

I was under the impression Disney didn't want no more Florida Resident annual passholders anymore. If that happens the main part of the track is obsoleted.
It only appeared that way because Disney took a different approach with reopening. Most places had their priorities set to get bodies in the gates again, and CFL residents were the easiest way to do that so they catered to AP’s like crazy.
Disney has its sights set on something bigger: restarting the CFL tourism machine, and, whether you like the way that did it or not, they are on the right path to that objective.
Say all you want about travel being good or bad at the moment, but Disney new that their operations were too big to be able to rely on locals, so they immediately went for the bigger fish, even though it left some APs out to dry.

Let's see, choosing between...

A. Driving the FL Turnpike with it's tolls and then paying parking at Disney.

And...

B. Riding in a comfortable train endlessly scrolling on my phone with a glass of red wine and snacking on some cheese, salami, and olives.

I choose B.

Is the Magical Express option C?

That doesn’t sound like any train I’ve ever been on! Scottish trains you’re lucky to get a seat :lol:

And they've banned drinking on trains.

• Wow
Reactions: JoeCamel
It would end up being faster than driving by car. Brightline has mentioned that there will be both an express and a local service. You would probably need to transfer at MCO to Sunrail or local to get to WDW though, or the express and local might provide continuing service to WDW.

If it is even slightly slower or equivalent, then I'd rather take the train. Having the opportunity to relax and get some work done instead of driving is a blessing.

Same travel time, but the added transportation of getting to the station, waiting, etc. makes entire thing a bit longer.

The pandemic has shown them the importance of locals & passholders.

Official statement from Disney:
Walt Disney World and Brightline Trains plan potential train station for Disney Springs
Monday, Nov. 23, 2020

Today, Brightline and Walt Disney World Resort announced they have entered into an agreement to construct a train station at Disney Springs.

The Brightline station is intended to provide a convenient travel option between Walt Disney World Resort and Brightline stations at Orlando International Airport (OIA), Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach and planned stations in Aventura, Boca Raton and Port Miami. Brightline’s expansion from West Palm Beach to OIA is on track to be completed in 2022. The agreement is conditioned upon Brightline’s satisfaction of certain obligations including obtaining all necessary government approvals.

The design concept for the proposed station at Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort includes a lobby on the ground level, passenger facilities and an upper level train platform.

“Brightline will offer a car-free connection to the millions of visitors from around the state and the world who plan to make Walt Disney World Resort part of their vacation plans,” said Patrick Goddard, president of Brightline. “Our mission has always been to connect our guests to the people and places that matter, and Walt Disney World Resort is a tremendous example of this.”

“We’re excited to work with Brightline as they pursue the potential development of a train station at Walt Disney World Resort, a project that would support our local economy and offer a bold, forward-looking transportation solution for our community and guests,” said Jeff Vahle, president of Walt Disney World Resort.

Last edited: