Busch Gardens 1/19 Trip Report | Inside Universal Forums

Busch Gardens 1/19 Trip Report

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 14, 2012
Today for my daughters birthday we drove up to Busch Gardens for the day. Being no stranger to the park, yet not a very frequent visitor, I had a bit of an expectation of how the day would go. However, the park left a lot to be desired.

For one, it was unexpectedly crowded today, and I realized Ive been lucky enough to only go to the park when everything is walk-on. Obviously thats out of the park's control and Im glad theyre doing good business. But seeing the park busy definitely shed some light on a lot of issues at BGT.

Some negatives were not necessarily the fault of the park, but things I noticed when having to share with so many other people. For one, the layout of the park is ridiculously nonsensical. Theres no sense of direction, you just kind of meander through random forests and very narrow pathways until you find a ride. It takes a good 10 minutes to walk from the front of the park to Sheikra with no notable attractions on the way there. I understand theres the employee parking lot in the middle of the park, but why? Why couldnt they put the parking lot where Kumba is and Kumba/Congo River Rapids/Jungala in the middle of the park? Also, a ride by where Montu is would be nice...its at a dead end far away, which makes little sense, but another ride there would make it worth it.

Layout aside, there are lots of things Busch Gardens could fix with better management. First off, it would be great to do what SeaWorld is doing and raise ticket prices to weed out the "riff raff" for lack of a better word. Too many unsavory people crowd the place. Also, I'd love to go to a theme park in South America, because there are apparently no such thing as waiting in line there.

Second, the staff is terribly rude. No "how are you"s, no "have a nice days", just very unpleasant people everywhere. I get that working in a theme park isnt the most fun thing to do, but hiding how miserable you are would be nice.

Worst of all, Busch Gardens has to be the most inefficient place on Earth. Ive been to lots of parks, none of them have lines that move as slow as at Busch Gardens. Getting food is a nightmare unless you love standing in line without moving. The rides are also terribly inefficient--in the morning Montu posted an hour long wait and was only running one freakin train...seriously? Other lines that should have been quick took forever because it takes Busch employees forever to load a vehicle and get it going. At one point, we were waiting in line for the wild mouse, which broke down...yet nobody bothered announcing it. We just noticed people stopped being allowed to enter. Ridiculous.

Now, thats not to say we didnt have a good time. They still boast a solid collection of roller coasters. And Sheikra is not a victim of poor capacity/efficiency which is nice. I also like how that ride has an attendant to direct people to assigned seats...really wish all rides had this. But it was a good day, the park looks ok and the food is decent. But like I said, it leave something to be desired.

For one, it was unexpectedly crowded today, and I realized Ive been lucky enough to only go to the park when everything is walk-on. Obviously thats out of the park's control and Im glad theyre doing good business. But seeing the park busy definitely shed some light on a lot of issues at BGT.

It is MLK weekend and ALL the parks are getting big crowds this weekend.

the layout of the park is ridiculously nonsensical. Theres no sense of direction, you just kind of meander through random forests and very narrow pathways until you find a ride. It takes a good 10 minutes to walk from the front of the park to Sheikra with no notable attractions on the way there. I understand theres the employee parking lot in the middle of the park, but why? Why couldnt they put the parking lot where Kumba is and Kumba/Congo River Rapids/Jungala in the middle of the park? Also, a ride by where Montu is would be nice...its at a dead end far away, which makes little sense, but another ride there would make it worth it.

The area in the center of the park which is now employee parking and other support facilities used to be the brewery before they tore it down, and the park grew around the brewery. That's just the way it grew over time and the Bird Gardens area between the entrance and Sheikra was the original "gardens" of Busch Gardens and predates all the rest of the park. It's also most likely the next are to get remodeled and rethemed if all the rumors about the demolition of Gwazi are true.

The employee parking lot needs to be where it is (basically behind Zagora) because of the access roads are. There's two of them, one coming from Annie St (which enters right under Sheikra) and one by Human Resources/Entertainment. They both lead to the same area. You have to remember this is a pretty old park and there's really no changing it at this point without a significant investment, and BGT really doesn't have the funds or the land to put forth to move the lot.

Some negatives were not necessarily the fault of the park, but things I noticed when having to share with so many other people. For one, the layout of the park is ridiculously nonsensical. Theres no sense of direction, you just kind of meander through random forests and very narrow pathways until you find a ride. It takes a good 10 minutes to walk from the front of the park to Sheikra with no notable attractions on the way there.

I think this is part of the charm of the park and it mimics jungle pathways although I have to agree with you as it's not the easiest to navigate. You do get used to it and they do have maps. :lol:

Layout aside, there are lots of things Busch Gardens could fix with better management. First off, it would be great to do what SeaWorld is doing and raise ticket prices to weed out the "riff raff" for lack of a better word. Too many unsavory people crowd the place.

I believe SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment plans on implementing this policy at all their theme parks.

Second, the staff is terribly rude. No "how are you"s, no "have a nice days", just very unpleasant people everywhere. I get that working in a theme park isnt the most fun thing to do, but hiding how miserable you are would be nice.

Personally, I've never had an issue with the staff.

Worst of all, Busch Gardens has to be the most inefficient place on Earth. Ive been to lots of parks, none of them have lines that move as slow as at Busch Gardens. Getting food is a nightmare unless you love standing in line without moving.

I have noticed that the culinary staff goes the extra mile to please all customers and their dietary needs. Unfortunately often causes the lines to back up. I have witnessed this many times first hand. It's great for the customer receiving the special care but not so great for the rest of us.

The rides are also terribly inefficient--in the morning Montu posted an hour long wait and was only running one freakin train...seriously? Other lines that should have been quick took forever because it takes Busch employees forever to load a vehicle and get it going. At one point, we were waiting in line for the wild mouse, which broke down...yet nobody bothered announcing it. We just noticed people stopped being allowed to enter. Ridiculous.

Once again, I have not noticed an issue with this and I have been on really busy day. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but ask anyone here who knows me personally I am not a very patient person. If I thought it was that bad I would definitely mentioned it.

I know the layout is unchangeable :lol:. Thats interesting about the brewery, though GACoaster, I didnt realize that. Im not suggesting they change everything around, but maybe a little bit better placement of attractions so there arent so many gaps between areas.

And Bobwadd, after hearing your experiences and realizing you go often, I must have just hit a bad day. I thought that maybe since this was the most crowded day I had ever been it was just always like that on busy days but sometimes you just hit every stride wrong and have off days. Needless to say, I'll go again because I do like their roller coasters and at the end of the day it is a nice park, just wanted to share/see if anyone had similar experiences/sentiments. I guess not, though :lol:

^ Please let me know if you have any issues next time you go.

Also, apparently from other people I know that went today it was very busy. If you feel you were treated poorly don't be afraid to pass it on to management as I find them extremely receptive.

Here's one of the old maps when the brewery was still there:
BGTParkMap1995.jpg

Reactions: TylerDurden
I laughed. Riff-raff? I've never really seen shady people there, and I've gone at all times of the year. I'll agree that a lot of their rides/food areas are really inefficient.

^ Please let me know if you have any issues next time you go.

Also, apparently from other people I know that went today it was very busy. If you feel you were treated poorly don't be afraid to pass it on to management as I find them extremely receptive.

I didnt feel personally treated poorly...I think I may have phrased it wrong, the staff wasnt rude per se, just not as attentive as people in a service-based industry should be. Not announcing that a ride was broken, for example, isnt rude, just inexcusable. Also, in the counter-service at the front of the park, the drink TM pointed fingers and snapped a lot asking for people's drinks. I was always taught to never point or "bark". Its little things like this that I didnt expect, especially since its never been an issue before and since SeaWorld has pretty pleasant TM's.

- - - Updated - - -

I laughed. Riff-raff? I've never really seen shady people there, and I've gone at all times of the year. I'll agree that a lot of their rides/food areas are really inefficient.

Right when we were entering the park, a group of older adults behind us reeked of marijuana. I did my fair share of illegal activities in the past but even when I was a kid I knew better than to go places where families would be. Stuff like that wouldve been nice to avoid.

Here's one of the old maps when the brewery was still there:
BGTParkMap1995.jpg

You gotta love the grand finale of the old monorail, a magnificent view of the handicap parking. :rofl:

I miss the brewery tour, the free beer line, and the Budwiser tie-ins. And I never got to do the brew school before it ended.

But I somewhat like the layout, since it didn't start as a themepark it breaks a lot of the traditional themepark rules. It has a special character because it evolved into the themepark that's there today. Though I agree there is some awkwardness, like the Egypt spur that was built much later on land that was freed up by relocating parking.

I meant to say this in my original post...

In a somewhat disappointing day, one of the highlights was definitely Gwazi. I know its not most peoples favorite, but I love that ride (even though its the slowest-loading ride in a park of slow-loading rides lol). I just love how rickety it is, and it offers great airtime. I hope it goes nowhere.

In a somewhat disappointing day, one of the highlights was definitely Gwazi. I know its not most peoples favorite, but I love that ride (even though its the slowest-loading ride in a park of slow-loading rides lol). I just love how rickety it is, and it offers great airtime. I hope it goes nowhere.

Unfortunately/fortunately depending on your point of view, it's going. Like all theme parks, it's time for this ride to move on. All rumors and what I've been told point to it coming down late spring of this year.

Unfortunately/fortunately depending on your point of view, it's going. Like all theme parks, it's time for this ride to move on. All rumors and what I've been told point to it coming down late spring of this year.

I for one hate that thing. It is so painful I couldn't even tell if it had any redeeming qualities.

It's a shame because it WAS a good ride (I rode it the week they opened it) but it has not aged well. I don't know if it's the climate in Florida is not good for a woodie or just Busch never knew how to maintain it properly since it was their only wooden coaster, but I think it's time for it to go.

TD, I think most of your bad experiences were because of the extremely busy weekend, and everything / everyone having to deal with higher than usual crowds.

I've not had any bad experiences at BGT with staff personally, and I really love the park overall. I would get out there more often if I lived closer. But, I will agree that the layout is confusing and I've gotten lost several times :lol: Bob can attest to that :p

Gwazi... Dear lord... Last time I was at BGT, for Christmas Town, my brother insisted that we go on Gwazi because he'd never been on it. (The last time he had been to BGT yearsss ago, he was still not riding any coasters). Oh, and let me also clarify that he was ready and excited to go on the other coasters, even Sheikra. Well, needless to say, we both had a horrendous ride. We couldn't wait for it to end and when we got off we both had neck and back pain, and a headache that lasted the rest of the night. That put a damper on the night for sure, and he wouldn't go on any more coasters after that. Luckily, by the very end of the night, he agreed to get on Cheetah Hunt and he enjoyed that one very much :thumbs: But, yeah, that was DEFINITELY my last ride on Gwazi EVER.

I love Gwazi. I don't know what you guys are talking about. It feels dangerous. :lol:

I know the layout is unchangeable :lol:. Thats interesting about the brewery, though GACoaster, I didnt realize that. Im not suggesting they change everything around, but maybe a little bit better placement of attractions so there arent so many gaps between areas.
I don't notice any gaps, there are plenty of animals, shows, shops, and gardens in between the rides.

But, I will agree that the layout is confusing and I've gotten lost several times :lol: Bob can attest to that :p:

Someone wants me to remind you that the Stanleyville Sky Ride Station by way of the meerkat habitat is definitely not the quickest way there :wave: :lol: