Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Busch Gardens Resort Expansion Plan

Oct 23, 2015
Thought I would start a thread for this. I know Busch Gardens is very interested in adding hotel/resorts to their property. They are also looking at the idea of adding an entertainment district in the future as well.
I think Busch Gardens biggest missing piece at this point is a good dark ride. Hopefully they fix that in the near future as well.
It will be interesting to see if they can get increase their guest visits with resorts being at both Busch Gardens and Sea World. Maybe people will ride the shuttle system and make these parks more a part of their vacation plans.

Years ago, like before Animal Kingdom lodge years ago Busch Gardens was very close to building a hotel that overlooked the plains of Africa. But then September 11th and then AB sold off the parks..

Shame too cause the area surrounding Busch is ROUGH and people avoid staying there just cause of that area. A moderate level (3.5 / 5 stars) 500 room hotel would be a great test of the market too.

Years ago, like before Animal Kingdom lodge years ago Busch Gardens was very close to building a hotel that overlooked the plains of Africa. But then September 11th and then AB sold off the parks..

Shame too cause the area surrounding Busch is ROUGH and people avoid staying there just cause of that area. A moderate level (3.5 / 5 stars) 500 room hotel would be a great test of the market too.

This area of Tampa will be undergoing a major transformation over the next 2-10 years. The area will be seeing major new infrastructure, both public and private investment worth several $100 millions. If you are interested in the changes check out the following link:
Tampa Innovation Alliance - Homepage - Tampa Innovation

I feel like Falcon's Fury could be a test run at height for a Giga and Mako to see how people respond to that coaster. If so, I think it could be another 5 years or so to let Mako have its moment before they bring in something bigger. I personally would love to see a pure RMC coaster in between if they are taking down Gwazi.

For real, finding my car at the end of the night would be the scariest thing of Howl-O-Scream. "Oh look they have scareactors out in the parking lot too" *stab* *stab* "Nope just a mugger."

So if this place were to get a giga down the line would people here prefer a B&M or Intamin? I am conflicted as after riding both Fury 325 and Intimidator 305 they both have their own merits. I would guess B&M would be more likely since do any of the Busch/Seaworld parks even have Intamins?

Cheetah Hunt and Falcon's Fury are both intamin. I'd guess they'd go with B&M though because Falcon's Fury had a lot of issues leading to a late opening. I generally prefer B&M as well and that would be a welcome addition in my book.

Think coasters are the last thing Busch needs at this moment. Whilst I loved the place, for all of our group coming from the UK, it was the least memorable of all Florida Parks (didn't visit Legoland). I think this is because it was basically just a much improved, better landscaped, version of some UK parks. I also thought the standards of service were poor and ride dispatch extremely poor even compared to Seaworld - probably not as well staffed as the Orlando Parks.

We have better water rides in the UK which says something. I'd like to see rides along the lines of Antarctica at Seaworld, but on a grander scale. The animal exhibits were amazing but I didn't feel there was much synergy between animals and the actual rides. Seaworld achieved this through the shows I felt.

Last edited:
I'd love to see either a wing coaster or RMC coaster if I was given the choice.

Add a bit of variety to the coaster scene in central Florida.

I also thought the standards of service were poor and ride dispatch extremely poor even compared to Seaworld - probably not as well staffed as the Orlando Parks.

That is my biggest beef with Seaworld and Busch Gardens, they are so god-awfully slow at loading, Gwazi use to be the worst. When I was in Busch last week (11/13) the only coaster that was loaded efficiently was Shiekra. I also think that the parks don't pay their staff as well as the other parks, hence grumpier employees.

Something of note, not one Intamin or Vekoma ride was ever bought by Manby while he headed up Herschend.

Busch Gardens offer a unique chance to add hotels that are actually part of the park. I've mentioned how Phantasialand in Germany has done this with African and Chinese themed hotels that integrate into areas of the park similarly themed. Busch has chance to do that as well, especially with an Animal Kingdom lite lodge to take advantage of its African plains area.

Think coasters are the last thing Busch needs at this moment. Whilst I loved the place, for all of our group coming from the UK, it was the least memorable of all Florida Parks (didn't visit Legoland). I think this is because it was basically just a much improved, better landscaped, version of some UK parks. I also thought the standards of service were poor and ride dispatch extremely poor even compared to Seaworld - probably not as well staffed as the Orlando Parks.

We have better water rides in the UK which says something. I'd like to see rides along the lines of Antarctica at Seaworld, but on a grander scale. The animal exhibits were amazing but I didn't feel there was much synergy between animals and the actual rides. Seaworld achieved this through the shows I felt.

When did you visit? I first visited BGF in '97 and thought it was lightyears ahead of anything we had in the UK at that time. I think in the last 10 years UK parks have upped their game somewhat though, though I don't think any really do very good theming outside of immediate area of each particular ride. The concept of 'lands' doesn't seem to embraced here.

Busch Gardens needs internal improvements before they begin external expansion. I would be lying if I said the attractions weren't great, because BG has had the best coaster line up for the past decade (in Florida). I also like the fact that it is more of a "regional park" compared to the Orlando parks, but the staff has always been Six Flaggy.
They desperately need a dark ride as well. Like DarKastle/Spiderman. Replace the Timbuktu Theatre or Gwazi's site.

I don't see this happening anywhere in the near future. The chain as a whole is in rough shape.

When did you visit? I first visited BGF in '97 and thought it was lightyears ahead of anything we had in the UK at that time. I think in the last 10 years UK parks have upped their game somewhat though, though I don't think any really do very good theming outside of immediate area of each particular ride. The concept of 'lands' doesn't seem to embraced here.

I visited Busch in May this year. I agree with what you're saying, but I didn't feel immersed in any of Busch's lands. Don't get me wrong, the theming wasn't bad and was nice to look at and as I say it was very well landscaped and maintained. It would easily stand as the best park in the country if it were in the UK...however it was the closest to the UK parks of all the Florida parks, I felt.

I think during the early decades of the park there was only one land, Africa. all the areas in the park had the same construction style, for the most part. Montu was the 1st attraction there to truly bring a unique land (Egypt) compared to the rest of the park. The good news is that for the past decade they have done a great job at changing the surrounding areas when bringing a new attraction (Sheikra, Jungala "Python", Cheetah Hunt "monorail", Pantopia "Timbuktu", and comming 2016 Cobra's Curse "Eqypt's mini facelift). It is definitely the most thrilling park in central florida and they are planning more for the future.... I just hope Sea World follows their steps as well.... which it's starting to look that way too.

1. RMC treatment on Gwazi
2. Replace Rhino Rally for a dark ride
3. Upgrade the simulation attraction (Akbar) into a new 4D adventure

Sadly none of those things will happen...but each one of those things would be very worthwhile to help round out the park.
That Akbar simulator is longgggggg gone. I've been in there working HOS and it's nothing but a big, empty pit where the simulator's used to be.