Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

California Theme Parks & Shopping Districts Reopening General Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I..... really just think you want the parks open dude. Im not trying to demean your argument or sympathy, but most Americans (statically proven) can barely, or simply cannot live, off of the wages these cast members make. This is not their only job, it may be, but for many it isn't as I know Orlando workers who have multiple jobs.

These are not high paying positions, doesn't demean the job or their enjoyment (I love interacting w/CM-TM), but I feel you're making broad strokes only to support your argument about going to the parks, and thats where this whole discussion began about "People only want parks open for themselves", when you literally are discussing the value of an AP in your post above, not supporting Disney, which you want us all to do to "support the cast members", the arguments just are not lining up on your end so Imo, this is why people are acting like there is a side to choose or that you are not actually being empathetic. I feel you are trying to be empathetic but you mainly discuss business practices and business potential, which is all for a major corporation. if you haven't noticed, the Disney CEO"s are getting their full pay, whats your thoughts on that? That money could go to CM.
I do want to point out I did say the CM's should make more at a minimum and do not doubt some do driving or some sort on the side because living in CA is expensive.

But I don't see how the parks being closed helps. The longer they stay closed the less money Disney will want to spend when they reopen because they will want to make the money back they lost.
So to me the CM's right now wanting to go back to work makes sense because another 9+ months of these two parks closed could see even more cut backs, worst budgets for the future and the community as a whole suffering from Disney closed.

It's not the best world we live in but help is not going to happen, its been almost 7 months since the last stimulus and doubt we will see one until early next year. So people want to risk health to go back to work and have that as a second job again or how ever it plays into there mental health as well. Some people do just enjoy working at the parks because the environment fills them with happiness. I used to co host a Disney Podcast and talking to CM's they just seemed to love the work, so I'm sure for many it hurts them to just sit at home waiting to feel useful again.

My perspective is Disney seems to be taking it very serious and can reopen safely, so they should be able to or the State/federal leaders need to step in since neither is happening its just not helping really anyone right now.

I do want to point out I did say the CM's should make more at a minimum and do not doubt some do driving or some sort on the side because living in CA is expensive.

But I don't see how the parks being closed helps. The longer they stay closed the less money Disney will want to spend when they reopen because they will want to make the money back they lost.
So to me the CM's right now wanting to go back to work makes sense because another 9+ months of these two parks closed could see even more cut backs, worst budgets for the future and the community as a whole suffering from Disney closed.

It's not the best world we live in but help is not going to happen, its been almost 7 months since the last stimulus and doubt we will see one until early next year. So people want to risk health to go back to work and have that as a second job again or how ever it plays into there mental health as well. Some people do just enjoy working at the parks because the environment fills them with happiness. I used to co host a Disney Podcast and talking to CM's they just seemed to love the work, so I'm sure for many it hurts them to just sit at home waiting to feel useful again.

My perspective is Disney seems to be taking it very serious and can reopen safely, so they should be able to or the State/federal leaders need to step in since neither is happening its just not helping really anyone right now.
I get all your thoughts on that, if Disney is taking it so serously, not paying the Execs saves over $100 million at least, do you think that’d help the workers they have and hypothetically want to keep?

of course some love their job, but some also hate their job. I’m not taking a stance here other than really I just don’t think your arguments are at all lining up with each other but maybe I’m reading it wrong, you can certainly be sympathetic towards CM’s, and also want entertainment for yourself I don’t beleive thats the argument here. I think it’s just that the arguments FOR opening tend to be more about the business it’d create, which just does not guarantee jobs. It’d help YES, and we love that, but I’m not sure the overall positive impact would be as high as we are hoping, just seeing how many layoffs are still occurring in Florida.

I get all your thoughts on that, if Disney is taking it so serously, not paying the Execs saves over $100 million at least, do you think that’d help the workers they have and hypothetically want to keep?

of course some love their job, but some also hate their job. I’m not taking a stance here other than really I just don’t think your arguments are at all lining up with each other but maybe I’m reading it wrong, you can certainly be sympathetic towards CM’s, and also want entertainment for yourself I don’t beleive thats the argument here. I think it’s just that the arguments FOR opening tend to be more about the business it’d create, which just does not guarantee jobs. It’d help YES, and we love that, but I’m not sure the overall positive impact would be as high as we are hoping, just seeing how many layoffs are still occurring in Florida.
Of Course it would, but this is America where the dollar rules and those who have the most money make the rules.
The higher ups all should be taking a pay cut but they aren't doesn't mean the parks not opening would help that because the Disney stock is still doing well because I guess Disney Plus, honestly its a joke the stock is as high as it is but the markets are being very optimistic about companies that will one day be able to make billions again.

It won't save everyone, I've said that before but it will still help out like a teen in your household getting a job to pay for there basic needs. Will it make you a rich family? No but every penny counts.
The parks opening make EVERYTHING around them busier, people stay at hotels again, eat at places near the resort and workers having more money in there pockets means they should spend more as well.
In a weekish we will have a clearer view of what will happen next, If Trump wins my guess is CA takes a harder stance on Covid and if biden wins we will see more things slowly open but with restrictions. Just a guess of course but for sure each leader has very different messaging around covid and will make a big impact on everything

And in order for them to be successful, for you that means they need to be open so you can go have fun. Nothing wrong with just admitting it.

Unless you’re just trying to crack jokes again, in which case I’m clearly missing it, but that’s cool too.
They have to be open to operate and make money. CMs and TMs will inherently be at some risk to being exposed.

The median age for a cast member is 30 years old meaning they have a 99.98 percent chance of survival according to the CDC.

Covid is more dangerous than the flu, we all agree, but working at a job that exposes you to people is not even remotely close to a death sentence.

It's not cold and heartless to not want theme parks, movie theaters, small businesses, the film industry, etc to remain locked down by government bureaucrats who can't even manage their forests.

They have to be open to operate and make money. CMs and TMs will inherently be at some risk to being exposed.

The median age for a cast member is 30 years old meaning they have a 99.98 percent chance of survival according to the CDC.

Covid is more dangerous than the flu, we all agree, but working at a job that exposes you to people is not even remotely close to a death sentence.

It's not cold and heartless to not want theme parks, movie theaters, small businesses, the film industry, etc to remain locked down by government bureaucrats who can't even manage their forests.

I never said it was cold or heartless to think that way, you came up with that one on your own, I’m also not talking about the other things you mentioned. I’m just saying, admitting you want the parks open so you can go, I’m hoping will be a mindset some people will get in sooner rather than later.

Theme park fans are a spoiled, entitled bunch. We get to frequent places that a lot of people have to save for years to go to only once. All I’m hoping for is a little self awareness eventually. When it comes to this argument, it’s consistently screaming to open the parks with a dash of ~BUT...um...wE cArE aBoUt ThE cM’s ToO tHoUgH and it’s tired. However, if you wanna see that same song and dance through 2021, then you do you.

We're going to lock this thread, and we'll circle back whenever some actual news happens.

To @Jerroddragon - I'm going to recommend you steer clear from this thread if it does reopen. We get it, you want the parks to reopen. I swear I am just seeing the same point hammered ad nauseam by you, and it doesn't seem like I'm the only one not understanding your arguments either.

Status
Not open for further replies.